tuscl

Music and Race and A Long Time No See!

Tuesday, August 9, 2011 11:36 AM
First off, hi to those of you I hit it off with when I first joined. :) Hope you all are doing well and getting lots of pussy, lol. When I first joined I had a similar topic. Basically playing to the crowd. And yes, this is also a race topic; I saw a few of them around. I'm mixed, and I fucking love rock. Led Zepplin, Ozzy, Metallica, Skid Row -- all of that. I love 90s house and Russian techno, also. The racial component to this is that when I first started dancing a coupla years ago, I wouldn't approach black patrons. For the most part, they were rude. Nowadays, I've gotten over that, because the majority of them are very nice, decent people who I like to sit and have conversation with. It's the "thug-lifers" I can't stand, and one of the reasons I would never approach them after a set or for dollar dances is because they would criticize my music. I put up with quite a bit. I'm never mouthy to customers and don't tell them to fuck off, even if they're pushy and impatient. But please, black patrons, just because I'm mixed doesn't mean I like rap. I *hate* rap. I never dance to it. I can't count the number of times I've heard some black dude make a comment about my music choice or criticize me openly to my face about the fact I'm trying to "act white" or some dumb shit. I've been told specifically by patrons. that I need to change my stage name and dance to rap if I want to be tipped. And I can honestly say I've never snapped back. I just say "thanks for the input" and walk away. I know you're here to relax and act like guys, but it's just common decency, in my opinion. Some girls like the thug-life guys, and if they want to be rained on and play rap and be asked a dozen times for OTC, cool beans. I'll go chill with the older black guy or the white guys and have a great conversation. ANYWAY, music. I make it a point to play unique music that's really not "clubbish." Does anyone have any faves/songs they like hearing in a club that aren't really on the SC grid? For instance, I play Bloodhound Gang and MC Hammer, no kidding. I just get tired of hearing rap all night, so I mix it up a bit.

30 comments

• georgmicrodong
    13 years ago
    Wait, there's music? When did this happen? Welcome back. :)
  • Doc_Holliday
    13 years ago
    If I don't know you, I know someone just like you! also: is The Bloodhound Gang song this one? [view link] A long time ago I fell for a black girl who danced to Mountain's Mississippi Queen. it was pretty damn hot!
  • fetish_dancer
    13 years ago
    hey, GMD! and no, doc, I prefer this one: [view link] Rock is the hottest thing to dance to, imo. There's so many facets to it. With rap, you just bounce your ass, which I can't do very well. Stereotype fail.
  • SuperDude
    13 years ago
    "Music is like food. Eat what you like and leave the rest." Miles Davis
  • fetish_dancer
    13 years ago
    Good quote, SD. I feel like I do a much better job with LDs and stage dancing if I play what I want to hear. Playing to the crowd is necessary sometimes, but usually I just play whatever strikes me as good.
  • Rlionheart
    13 years ago
    Three "off-beat" tries: 1) The Water Song by Hot Tuna (A real Long Shot) 2) The single (techno) version of "You Got Me Rocking" by the Rolling Stones 3) I never hear this one played: Robert Palmer - "Addicted to Love"
  • SuperDude
    13 years ago
    If a black person has any ethnic mixture that has resulted in lighter complexion he or she will be taunted and treated with derision by darker brothers and sisters. It's a "smack back" for two centuries of lighter skinned African-Americans playing skin color games to be more acceptable to and promotable by whites. Now it's time to get even. James Brown sang "The Big Payback," an anthem that discussed all kinds of revenge. So, thugs in a SC will try to deny the "blackness" of a mixed race dancer, taunting her to be more like them in order to prove her blackness. If you are "down" with them they will buy dances. Oh, but you must also conform your musical taste to theirs. (Check with Miles Davis, above.) Earlier this year a 40 year old teacher I know from hanging out at a local watering hole told me that my hand-tied bow tie, formal speech pattern, social manners and skin color were all wrong. According to her I should get in a tanning booth, change my style of dress, use more slang laced with foul language and hide the fact that I read a lot. "Then you will be a true brotha," she said. This sister has a completly shaved head, hoop earrings and a sculpted body that looks like it was carved by Michaelangelo from black marble. She meets my forehead with hers. (I'm 6'3") I told her that I did not get to where I am by bowing and scrapng to white people and, at 65, I'm not going to start bowing and scraping to black people. The I backed her against the wall turned my back her, pushed my butt into her hips and gave her a lap dance. Paid her bar tab, untied my bow tie, tipped the bartender and left the crowd with their jaws dropping. (True story.) You are handling those thugs with style and maturity. Continue to be strong. You will always feel better when you are true to yourself. What has this race stuff got to do with the purpose of this board?
  • rell
    13 years ago
    well ive never complained about the music to a dancer because if she likes it its all good.. i like rap music r&b music but i dont like all of it .. i never seen the point of asking a dancer to dance to a different song.. now on the other hand ive had dancers ask me what they wanted to dance to
  • runrdude
    13 years ago
    I've said it before. If she's happy, she'll make me happy. I don't pay a lot of attention to the music during a lap dance and can tolerate a wide range at the stage. Having said that, loud heavy metal gets old after a while. For personal listening, classic and or southern rock is my favorite.
  • Dudester
    13 years ago
    fetish dancer-this is relevant, although not about strip clubs. In the mid to late 1980's, Albuquerque was a happening club place. There were fifty some dance clubs, and all but two of them had live bands. The going rate for a club band was 3k per night. I know because I played in a band that sold out in every venue-and because of that, we got paid twice the going rate. With that said.... Two years ago, I went for a visit to Albuquerque. I had planned to show my date what it was like to be in a city with lots of live music. But once I arrived, it turned out that the live music scene had all but disappeared. It disappeared because in the early 90's, the clubs invested heavily in rap and went after rap customers. By the time the clubs figured out that rap customers don't pay, it was too late-the live music scene had died. In 2009, OTC Gal was my ATF. She was making 300-400 a night at St. James, then, for some insane idea, she decided to dance at a black club that only played rap. She was onstage five times as much, and was lucky to take home 100 a night, and often didn't make that. For that month, I also pulled away from her, so she wasn't making OTC money. She saw the error of her ways (in that respect).
  • sinclair
    13 years ago
    In the black community, are mixed race or lighter-skinned members regarded as more beautiful or desirable than darker-skinned members? When I think of who is put on the pedestal in magazines like The Source or XXL, it always seems to be the lighter-skinned members of the African diaspora. For example, in acting Halle Barry, Tyra Banks. In music, you have Beyonce, Rhianna, Cassie, Ciara, and Nicki Minaj.
  • Rasta83
    13 years ago
    Too many Race related discussions on tuscl...sheesh!
  • fetish_dancer
    13 years ago
    @Rlionheart: I'll check those out right now; thanks :D @SD: That's a pretty awesome story. I appreciate your input. Race isn't a humongous factor for me like it used to be, but I can't help but make observations, you know? @rell: I read your thread and I have to say, I really respect a lot of what you have to say. My club checks everybody, and the black guys get as much love as anyone else, but I have danced at clubs where they were either ignored or seemed to be turned away. While I am biased toward thug-lifers, it's wrong to drive away business on basis of race. @runrdude: Lynyrd Skynyrd? I play them a lot. It's not too country, though sometimes I will play Hank Williams Jr. if the mood strikes, haha. @Dudester: How foolish! The crowd they should have gone after was both your style and also the newly emerging House music, which at that time was pretty big and was considered a "black" thing. It was hot back then; they could have catered to all customers doing that. I could never dance at an all-black club. Even the darker dancers I work with say they couldn't, because they don't want to dance around "ghetto" people. I get that. Glad your gal learned :) @Sinclair: I've noticed that, too, but if you look at the fashion industry, there are some truly beautiful African models. Dark as jet and gorgeous. Maybe the music and acting fields need to take a hint from the modeling agencies.
  • lopaw
    13 years ago
    I know I'm prolly in the minority here, but if a dancer plays any Garbage, Green Day or Stone Temple Pilots I will become her money slave....at least for the evening ;) Sadly, it's pretty rare that I become anyone's money slave at a SC, since I almost never hear any of the above. I did once hear a divey club play a Leonard Cohen song, and I actually did a double take to be sure I was hearing right! Welcome back, fetish_dancer!
  • Doc_Holliday
    13 years ago
    Oh techno! Dance to: Mirwais - Disco Science! [view link] Lo Fi Allstars - Battleflag - [view link] Lo Fi Allstars - Somebody Needs You - [view link] That last song is less electronic, but none the less BEGS a stripper to dance to it!
  • rh48hr
    13 years ago
    What music a dancer dances to is not as important to how they dance and treat you when you come to tip them. A dancer could be dancing to a good song but if they put no enthusiasm into their work I'm not as enthusiastic to tip them. Recently, I find myself not paying attention to the music as much other than to keep track of the number during LD's. But what is being played? ... Not of much concern when a lovely lady is keeping my attention focused on her (and other things standing at attention).
  • Doc_Holliday
    13 years ago
    Slow Dirty Rock Songs: Jimi Hendrix - Red House [view link] Led Zeppelin - Since I've Been Loving You [view link] AC/DC - The Jack - [view link] The last one is about VD, but I've heard Down with the Sickness more times than I can count in strip clubs, so fuck it!
  • fetish_dancer
    13 years ago
    Thank you for the music, Doc! And hello, lopaw! I played Green Day's Wake Me Up When September Ends tonight :D @rh48hr: Very good analysis. I love dancing so I work hard up there, but it's 2/3rds for my pleasure. I like customers to leave the tip row happy, however.
  • mikeya02
    13 years ago
    Good songs Doc! Dazed and Confused by Zep also fits in. Dj played a cd I brought in of a techno remix of Marilyn Monroes "I wanna be loved by you" for my fav to dance to. Everyone liked it.
  • rh48hr
    13 years ago
    Fetish_Dancer - If you like to have customers leave tip row happy, you are my kind of dancer!
  • dennyspade
    13 years ago
    @Fetish_Dancer: Welcum back to Discussion Board. Always appreciated your perspective(s) from the "other side." As am inner-city raised and reared, mature Black man, I, too, have fought the notion of being boxed into someone else's notion of how I should dress, speak,and conduct myself for acceptance of the Black Urban masses. I enjoyed CREAM, Grand Funk Railroad, ELP, Doors, etc in the 70's and I was also a musician (check that: a drummer.) It's the Dancer who can interpret the music and make me focus on her that will get my $$, timer and undivided attention. I recall listening and watching a dancer in a Houston SC gyrate to Nine Inch Nails and became transfixed. I HAD to get up off my ASS to watch her up close and reward her with a steam of cash. I still see that in my mind's eye. BOTTOM LINE: I agree with SUPER DUDE: Just DO You. Fucketh Thou Nubian Thugs
  • fetish_dancer
    13 years ago
    @mikeya02: I LOVE Led Zepplin and especially Marilyn Manson, though I'm not 100% familiar with either of those songs you mentioned. I'll play them sometimes, though. @rh48hr: If you are gentle with the touching and don't try to pull my boobs off -- some guys DO seem to think they come off -- you're my kinda custie :D @dennyspade: Hey, DS. Love The Doors and NIN. Jim Morrison just has a sexy voice and NIN has intense thrashing music. My favorite comment when I get down from stage to a song like March of the Pigs or Mr. Self-Destruct is "do you fuck like you dance?"
  • staxwell
    13 years ago
    @ fetish: LMAO @ "the bad touch"! Dazed and Confused is one of my favorite songs. And I think Marilyn Manson's version of Sweet Dreams would be perfect for a slow seductive dance.
  • fetish_dancer
    13 years ago
    Sweet Dreams, Manson style, is my favorite song to slow-dance too. That or Andrea Boccelli's Con Te Partiro, which, yes, I have played in the club before.
  • staxwell
    13 years ago
    Lol, come on... Con Te Partiro? I can't hear that song without picturing the Catalina wine mixer scene in Step Beothers.
  • Doc_Holliday
    13 years ago
    LOL Fucking Catalina Wine Mixer!
  • fetish_dancer
    13 years ago
    That's where I got it from. *cough*
  • rh48hr
    13 years ago
    Sounds like a perfect match to me fetish :-) Will have to look you up if I make my way to Indy!
  • 3LeggedMan
    13 years ago
    The idea of doing a 2-for-1 during Since I've Been Loving You sounds really good to me... Anyhow, the most unusual rock song I've seen used for a stage routine was Black Sabbath's War Pigs. The girl was young and very likely using chemical additives at the time. And one song I'd think would be perfect but have never seen used would be She's a Beauty, an MTV hit by The Tubes in the '80s.
  • fetish_dancer
    13 years ago
    @rh48hr: *flattered* @3LeggedMan: That song is very beautiful. I've never danced to it, but I'm sure I will eventually. I *do*, however, dance to War Pigs quite a bit. Never danced to or heard (in a club) She's a Beauty. Great suggestions :D
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion