tuscl

(Off Topic) Bubba Smith Dead at 66

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 11:40 PM
Former NFL Great, and Actor Bubba Smith was found dead in his Los Angeles home on Thursday. Bubba played for the Baltimore Colts, Oakland Raiders, and Houston Oilers. He retired in 1976 and took up acting. He is best known for his role in the Police Academy movies, although he made guest spots on Married With Children, and acted in other TV shows and movies. Bubba earned a Super Bowl ring for the Colts victory over the Dallas Cowboys in 1971. Bubba wouldn't wear the ring because he felt the game was played too sloppily (there was 11 turnovers). Some players felt that it was the most vicious game ever played with vicious hit after hit. Both teams were known for their defenses as well as their explosive offenses. Both teams had many turn up in the NFL Hall of Fame, including Bubba, Johnny Unitas, Roger Staubach, and more. Bubba was a class act and I deeply respected the gentle giant.

7 comments

• jlooken
    13 years ago
    I agree with all that you have written here, but you needed to add that he played on the Michigan State Spartan team that won the 1968 Rose Bowl with coach Duffy Daugherty.
  • jlooken
    13 years ago
    Didn't Bubba play with Deacon Jones, Fred Dryer and Merlin Olson on the line in Oakland?
  • rh48hr
    13 years ago
    Great player, provided many funny moments as "Hightower" in the six Police Academy installments or as Spare Tire Dixon or as himself pounding Al Bundy in the ground in Married...with Children. RIP Bubba.
  • vincemichaels
    13 years ago
    RIP, Bubba.
  • troop
    13 years ago
    jlooken, you're confusing the l.a. rams with oakland.
  • sinclair
    13 years ago
    jlooken, it was 1966 and you are probably referring to the Game of the Century against Notre Dame (tie) which resulted in Michigan State winning the National Championship for 1966. State only won Rose Bowls in '54, '56, and '88.
  • highlander2973
    13 years ago
    I'm a little too young to remember his playing days but I do remember him in the Police Academy movies as well as those Miller Lite commercials back in the day. Very entertaining fellow, RIP.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion