tuscl

Detroit Pays Strip Club

jackslash
Detroit strip clubs
Tuesday, July 26, 2011 1:20 PM
Corrupt politicians are typical in Detroit. The city would do better to encourage strip clubs and ban its politicians. Last Updated: July 26. 2011 1:47PM Detroit to pay strip club owners $2.95M to end suit Darren A. Nichols/ The Detroit News Detroit —The City Council approved a $2.95 million settlement this morning to a downtown strip club whose owners claim a license transfer was illegally blocked after they were shaken down for a bribe. Council members voted 6-3 to approve the deal, with Brenda Jones, Kwame Kenyatta and JoAnn Watson dissenting. The lawsuit stems from a 2006 measure in which the panel voted 5-4 in 2006 to turn down the Zoo Bar's license transfer. The vote came amid a crackdown on topless bars, but strip club officials testified in federal court that, before the vote, political consultant Sam Riddle wanted them to pay $25,000 for then-Councilwoman Monica Conyers' vote. They refused, she voted against the transfer and Riddle has denied the allegations. The bar's owners planned to sell to a group of investors affiliated with Deja Vu, a Lansing-based national chain, who wanted to open a Hustler strip club. The bar on East Congress is now operating as a nightclub called Kingdom. The Zoo Bar's owners successfully challenged the city's strip club rules in court, prompting another rewrite. Today's settlement ends a pending federal suit that alleges the city took the club's property illegally by denying the license transfer. There was no discussion of the settlement during today's session. From The Detroit News: [view link]

7 comments

• Dudester
    13 years ago
    What a mess. Public officials owe it to the public to get it right. When they are corrupt, they deserve to be locked up for a very long time.
  • vincemichaels
    13 years ago
    Monica is doing time. That's fine by me. She is a wacked out bitch.
  • Drippy
    13 years ago
    Agreed, VM. Monica was a piece work, but fun to watch
  • vincemichaels
    13 years ago
    Very true, Drippy. Whenever Monica made statements to the press, it was entertaining to listen to them.
  • deogol
    13 years ago
    Detroit really takes the cake for corruption. That city is over.
  • vincemichaels
    13 years ago
    deogol, I can't agree. Detroit is just one more rust-belt old city that can never be as good as it was. If you knew the city and the many good people that live there, you may not write that the city is over. Corruption is everywhere. The former mayor, "Kwame" is getting close to parole for his minor conviction for his "misdeeds" If the Feds don't get him convicted on tax charges, I wouldn't be at all surprised that "Kwame" gets reelected at some point and we go through his BS once again.
  • SuperDude
    13 years ago
    Many Detroit dancers told me about partying with public officials who would then vote against SCs. These guys are true liars and phonies. Kwame was a regular in clubs, coming in and leaving through a side door.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion