tuscl

Am I the only one...

georgmicrodong
Just a fat, creepy old pervert.
Wednesday, June 8, 2011 8:13 AM
...who calls 'em "rubbers" anymore? Just curious, as that was the common term IME when I was younger, and now everyone seems to be using "condom".

14 comments

• SuperDude
    13 years ago
    Rubber sounds like something really thick. Negative image. I believe Condom was the inventor of the device.
  • troop
    13 years ago
    i still call them rubbers.
  • gsv
    13 years ago
    "Rubber sounds like something really thick. Negative image." Yeah, I'd agree with that. I refer to them as condoms.
  • inno123
    13 years ago
    Rubbers sounds kind of juvenile.
  • Rod8432
    13 years ago
    Condom seems to strike a nice balance between the slightly crude "rubber" and the overly aseptic "prophylactic."
  • joesparty
    13 years ago
    "Cover" seems to be common too. Almost never hear rubber anymore.
  • jackslash
    13 years ago
    When I was a kid they called them "rubbers," but I haven't heard that word in a long time. All the dancers call them "condoms." (At least that's what I'm told.)
  • Club_Goer_Seattle
    13 years ago
    I too was first acquainted with the term "rubbers" in my jr. high years. (That's how old I am. I sense that most junior high schools are now termed "middle schools"). What I recall is that in the early and mid '80s, when the AIDS/HIV epidemic reached high levels of public awareness, the word "condom" was then in daily use in the media as common advice for reducing the risk of STD's. It was taken so seriously, that any slang terminology for "condoms" and "prophylactics" fell out of common use.
  • SuperDude
    13 years ago
    From Wikipedia Etymology and other termsThe term condom first appears in the early 18th century. Its etymology is unknown. In popular tradition, the invention and naming of the condom came to be attributed to an associate of England's King Charles II, one "Dr. Condom" or "Earl of Condom". There is however no evidence of the existence of such a person, and condoms had been used for over one hundred years before King Charles II ascended to the throne.[4]:54,68 A variety of unproven Latin etymologies have been proposed, including condon (receptacle),[20] condamina (house),[21] and cumdum (scabbard or case).[4]:70-1 It has also been speculated to be from the Italian word guantone, derived from guanto, meaning glove.[22] William E. Kruck wrote an article in 1981 concluding that, "As for the word 'condom', I need state only that its origin remains completely unknown, and there ends this search for an etymology."[23] Modern dictionaries may also list the etymology as "unknown".[24] Other terms are also commonly used to describe condoms. In North America condoms are also commonly known as prophylactics, or rubbers. In Britain they may be called French letters.[25] Additionally, condoms may be referred to using the manufacturer's name.
  • boss435
    13 years ago
    We always use Jimmy, cover or hat. Sometimes the dancer will whisper in my ear "do you have a condom". I've never heard a girl say cover rubber or Jimmy but they do say "protection".
  • dudeanonymous
    13 years ago
    What Club_Goer said matches my memories: they were "rubbers" until the 80s when STDs started daily making the nightly news and papers, where they were referred to as condoms. The word became the common usage. Most strippers wouldn't be old enough to even remember them being called rubbers.
  • gatorfan
    13 years ago
    call them wubbers - Elmer Fudd
  • Machiavelli
    13 years ago
    In the 80s, they were rubbers ... now, condoms, protection ... or, my favorite: "condos" ... (All hail Henry Rollins for that one) ...
  • jackslash
    13 years ago
    A dancer once asked me if I had "protection." I told her I had a Smith & Wesson.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion