tuscl

Judge Rules Strip Club Must Go To Make Way For Expanded Road

sinclair
Strip Club Nation
It may be closing time for the last strip club operating in DuPage County.

A judge ruled Monday that state transportation officials can condemn the land occupied by Diamonds Gentlemen's Club because they need it for a planned $38 million road widening project.

“Therefore, the taking of this property is necessary,” DuPage County Judge John Elsner wrote in his decision.

The 5,100-square-foot adult club featuring nude dancers but no alcohol won't shut down right away, though.

Despite the ruling, the club on North Avenue at Powis Road near West Chicago is likely to remain open for several more months, attorneys said.

An order giving owners 90 days to vacate the club has been sent, though a court hearing to determine the final price for the parcel also is needed, said attorney Richard Redmond, who represented the Illinois Department of Transportation in the condemnation action.

The club's owner, On Stage Productions, ultimately could appeal Elsner's order, though representatives couldn't be reached for comment Monday.

IDOT plans to take about 5,500 square feet from the site — including a chunk of the building itself — as part of a project to expand North Avenue to six lanes from four and build a new right turn lane on Powis Road.

That acquisition would require demolishing the club so the property also could be used for a traffic signal, as well as drainage and sewer improvements.

Transportation officials want to temporarily take another slice of the 33,000-square-foot property to store construction equipment while the North Avenue reconstruction work progresses.

State officials moved to condemn the property after they offered the owner $687,000, but received no acceptance or counter-offer, Redmond said.

“The department wants to get going with the project,” Redmond said.

The club features nude dancers, but can't serve alcohol. For years, however, it allowed patrons to bring their own liquor into the building.

That practice changed after a deadly 2006 car crash in which John Homatas left the club drunk, then slammed into an oncoming vehicle, killing the pregnant driver and his own passenger.

Homatas received a 12-year prison term and in 2009 DuPage County officials barred patrons from having any open liquor at the club.

Club owners sought to block the condemnation, arguing at a recent hearing that state officials didn't negotiate in good faith, didn't show the acquisition was necessary to the project and specifically targeted the parcel because it contained an adult club.

Elsner rejected those arguments, particularly noting there was no evidence the club's adult use was considered.

“This intersection was treated the same as every other intersection involved in this extensive project,” Elsner said in his ruling.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/47868…

12 comments

• vincemichaels
    13 years ago
    Another one bites the dust. Oh well.
  • samsung1
    13 years ago
    I think the same thing is going on with the Doll house in FL
  • mmdv26
    13 years ago
    Related to condemnation, if the club was in a zoning district that allows adult entertainment, and if the club were to find a suitable piece of property nearby in the same jurisdiction that was not zoned for AE, would the jurisdiction be required to rezone the new site to allow for adult entertainment?
  • DandyDan
    13 years ago
    Damn, that's the club closest to my old hometown of St. Charles. I always intended to go there at some point, probably with one of my old high school buddies, although he now lives in DeKalb, so that's a drive. Guess it won't happen now, although my impression reading reviews of the place is that it's a waste of time.
  • DandyDan
    13 years ago
    I forgot, here in Omaha, they used to have a club way out on West Dodge Road called the Only Chance Saloon, which effectively closed because the state was converting the road to a freeway. Allegedly, they needed the whole property, but every time I go past it in daylight hours, I see the exact spot it used to be at.
  • Prim0
    13 years ago
    I get that the road needs to be expanded...the DOT just needs to pay for the property. It wouldn't matter if it was a SC or some other business.

I find the part about banning alcohol at the establishment because one individual went out and drove drunk? How can you blame the SC? Guy could have gotten liquored up at home or any other numbers of bars. It happens all the time but I've never heard of a restaurant or bar having to prohibit drinking because of what one customer did after he left. That just seems very wrong.
  • sanitago
    13 years ago
    "Related to condemnation, if the club was in a zoning district that allows adult entertainment, and if the club were to find a suitable piece of property nearby in the same jurisdiction that was not zoned for AE, would the jurisdiction be required to rezone the new site to allow for adult entertainment?"
    in DuPage County? not likely! the place is hard-core neo-conservative land. the owner would have a better chance of getting a license to open a rifle range in downtown Chicago than they would getting a new permit for a club.
  • vincemichaels
    13 years ago
    When "eminent domain" rears its' ugly head, not much can be done about it. Government wins these cases all the time, hopefully the owner will get a good price for the property, although it can't replace the loss of revenue.
  • SuperDude
    13 years ago
    This is the real test of "just compensation" in an eminent domain proceeding: What's it worth? So, after years of underreporting gross income, now the real books surface to get the best price and the IRS is watching. Tough choices.
  • sharkhunter
    13 years ago
    We should promote legislators to give fair market value for the type of club plus the land plus 10 future years of lost revenue due to eminent domain. If the club was willing to pay up to the IRS, they could recollect from the sale of the property. I was thinking 10 future years of lost revenue would be more acceptable to any business displaced by the government. The government officials might think twice about destroying businesses. Sounds like a good idea to me for any business property taken over by the government.
  • sharkhunter
    13 years ago
    Oh, the government should also pay 4 weeks severance pay for every year an employee has worked at the location as well since they are displacing workers and creating more unemployed people. If the project is to benefit the local government or city, then the funds should all be taken from the local city or county government. I think these benefits should apply to all businesses destroyed by the government. That way the locals are forced to compensate a business and employees for confiscating their land and livelihood. Of course it may be stupid to destroy a local business generating a million dollars a year in revenue because that will destroy a few million dollars per year to a local economy due to the multiplier effect.
  • georgmicrodong
    13 years ago
    shark: Since eminent domain is in the Constitution, at least at the federal level, those changes would require Amendments, not just passing new laws. Unlikely at best.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion