tuscl

Local Restaurant Going Topless?

sinclair
Strip Club Nation
Sunday, February 27, 2011 3:51 AM
MEMPHIS, Tenn. - It's an idea many feared and one that has many outraged. After years of being in business, a Cordova restaurant owner may be trying to transform his eatery into a strip joint. In Brief: Stella Marris, a local night club and restaurant, is closed for renovations. Owner recently filed for ‘compensated dance permit'-typically used for strip clubs. Stella Marris is located across from a youth baseball field. The restaurant Stella Marris has been closed for months. The website said it's because of new renovations leaving many to believe the business owner, Steve Cooper, has been prepping the place for lap dances when it reopens. What is Stella Marris? Upscale dining is how Cordova restaurant Stella Marris has marketed itself since it opened back in 2009. This after many believed the owner, Steve Cooper, had plans to one day turn it into a strip club. When the restaurant opened in 2009, Shelby County Commissioner Steve Mulroy was among county officials who feared this would happen. A year later, the county passed a zoning ordinance, banning such businesses from operating within 1500 feet of family recreation centers. The business sits right across the street from a youth baseball field. Parents say the potential of it opening as a topless bar, is something they're not happy about. Why People are So Angry Those speculations have become a reality. Cooper recently filed for a compensated dance permit. The same permit used to operate strip joints. "The owner represented that they weren't doing a strip club, they were doing a restaurant and this kind of bait and switch is not something we need to tolerate," said Commissioner Mulroy. "Even if strip clubs have a right to exist they shouldn't be located near homes, churches, schools or playgrounds." "You know this was here before the restaurant was there so apparently he doesn't care about the kids or what the people think," said one parent referring to the youth baseball field. But the county said with the current zoning, granting the permit is not likely. “I'm aware of no change in the applicable law or any material facts between then and now," said Mulroy. Stella Marris on Renovations A press release posted on the restaurant's Facebook page said the place is closed for renovations which include unnamed “operational refinements”. They add the business will reopen under a different name and will still offer fine dining throughout the week but it doesn't say anything about what'll be offered on the weekends. Stella Marris' website said it'll reopen in late September, early October. [view link]

13 comments

• samsung1
    13 years ago
    Just the other day I was at a local greasy spoon. The waitress bent over to reach down in the lower cupboards a few times giving me a good look at her ass. She also reach over the sink nearby my counter stool that gave me a nice downblouse/cleavage view. I swear she was showing off her goods to me - and needless to say her tip was larger than usual.
  • bang69
    13 years ago
    I have herd of this thing many times. There is a restrant where you can talk with dancer & have a dance while eating lunch. This is rare but it does happen.
  • samsung1
    13 years ago
    I think I saw fish and chips being sold at Bogarts. I am sure you could eat there and have a gal do some stick shifting on you for a small tip while you are eating.
  • vincemichaels
    13 years ago
    You correct, samsung1, Bogarts does serve food. It isn't world class by any means, but usually it has been decent. Fortunately most dancers there aren't decent. :)
  • steve229
    13 years ago
    Last trip to Orlando, I stopped in at the "Tilted Kilt" for the the first time. New pub/restaurant chain known as the "Irish Hooters." Due to a convention in town, I got stuck at a hotel way out by the University (Central Florida) and the Kilt was just across the highway. All the servers were young and attractive, I'm guessing college students working part time. In Orlando, this is probably a better option than the strip clubs. [view link]
  • sinclair
    13 years ago
    Steve, I know exactly where you are talking about. I think I stayed at the same hotel recently. Holiday Inn a few blocks from UCF?
  • steve229
    13 years ago
    Sinclair - same area, but actually the Hampton just up the road. Tilted Kilt is definitely worth a visit if you stay there again. Cute servers drop by regularly, will sit and chat. Fun to flirt with. Only drawback was I had to keep reminding myself NOT to stuff dollar bills into the cleavage, lol.
  • samsung1
    13 years ago
    steve229, there is a Tilted Kilt in Ohio and I know of two strippers that work there. 3 strip clubs are on route 161 exit and one exit north of that is Polaris exit - with Hooter's and Tilted Kilt.
  • sharkhunter
    13 years ago
    If I want to eat, I usually want to eat food at a traditional restaurant or fast food place that specializes in food. Now there was one strip club that had an adjoining restaurant that you could walk back and forth between without any extra charge and the food was at regular restaurant prices. I was ok with that. Most of the time, I will want to avoid food in a strip club unless I'm starving and the regular restaurants are closed. I always feel like I'm taking a chance of getting an upset stomach eating in a strip club. I don't exactly see the rating of the kitchen posted in any obvious place like a regular restaurant does. So in other words, I think it's a bad idea. I guess if you already used to eating there and then you have the opportunity to have dancing tits with your shake and fries, you might go for it.
  • BaddJack
    13 years ago
    sharkhunter: what about when you are in the mood for fish taco?
  • Prim0
    13 years ago
    A friend and I stopped at a joint that was off the Florida turnpike. Bad food and not so hot strippers on the stage. It was just one of those "We've got to see this!" moments. Not worth it at all.
  • shadowcat
    13 years ago
    BaddJack, Pink Pony South in Atlanta, has a sushi bar above the main stage. So you can smell what you are watching.
  • gatorfan
    13 years ago
    Topless waitresses, I will have milk please
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion