tuscl

On my Way to Adalitas

So check it out...my and a couple of boys are headin down to Mex for the weekend....now I am aware that the law for crossing the boarder has changed and a passport is now required....BUT...i have also heard that people are still just using BC and DL ...can somebody you has RECENTLY been to MEx..please shine some light on this situation for me...i would like to save the time and money that would be spent on a Passport..for more...ummm....entertaining purposes... M_R

7 comments

• stevestevesteve
    14 years ago
    My friend told me you need the passport but hopefully someone else here can help better answer this for you.

Please post and update of how the trip goes. Just be careful and dont act like your better than someone else there.
  • Rod8432
    14 years ago
    I went on a cruise to western Mexico about a month ago and at the time, a DL or BC was sufficient. They recommended a Passport though, but it wasn't technically necessary. Don't know if the reentry rules are different for land-based crossings.
  • Maverick100
    14 years ago
    I'm not positive about this but getting into Mexico isn't the biggest problem (I'm Canadian and need a passport), getting back into the States without a passport could be the biggest problem.
  • joesparty
    14 years ago
    Recent experience: went last July. I have a passport, as the US government tells you it is required for entry, even for citizens. The two US citizens a few places ahead of me in line do not. Border patrol gave them a very hard time about it. Lots of intrusive questions. They were lucky they were only detained a few extra minutes. Save yourself the hassle in the long run and get a passport.
  • joesparty
    14 years ago
    And yes, the rules are (were?) different for cruises. Having to wait a couple hours in a holding room upon your return home kind of fucks up your trip. See www.dhs.gov/files/crossingborders/travel…
  • mjx01
    14 years ago
    "Since March 1, 2010, ... all U.S. citizens age 16 or older must present a valid U.S. passport or passport card to re-enter the U.S., even by land."

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw…

• DougS
    14 years ago
    As JoesParty stated, the rules for cruises are different (though that might have changed as it's been about 5 years since my last cruise). Previously, all you needed to show was proof of identity, BC/WL and a boarding pass. (of course the thought there is that the cruise line has already done the screening prior to your embarking on the voyage)

It's for all of our safety, but it's too bad things had to change. Now, I can't venture into TJ without there being far too many records and traces... no TJ for me!

You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion