tuscl

Why no stage tipping - or even stage watching?

SoCal clubs seem so boring compared to other parts of the US and especially Canada. Why does no one sit at the stage? Even if they tip, they often just leave it and go back to their seat somewhere else. And you'll never hear cheering or clapping, like, for example, in Canada. What's the deal? Is it cheapness? Shyness? WTF?

Myrtle Beach clubs are pretty lively, with plenty of guys at the stage, tipping or not. Same in West Virginia. In BC you can't even get a seat near the stage. Everyone wants to be close and interact, and there's even clapping and cheering.

SoCal? DEAD! Every other seat can be full, and guys will STAND before they'll sit at the stage.

Cheering? Applause? Never!

WTF?

17 comments

• stevestevesteve
    14 years ago
    I guess we are spoiled with all the hot women ;)
  • dudeanonymous
    14 years ago
    Has anyone else seen this as a trend the last year or so? I've encountered clubs with lots of customers, but no one tipping, no one sitting at the stage. (Contrary to your observations, I've seen this at some of the WV panhandle clubs.) Seems to lead to more and more "dancers" not getting on stage and only working the room for LDs. Does the economy have something to do with it?
  • fesz
    14 years ago
    Last week at a local club here in Portland, OR. I was the only few customer at the rail all night long. Most of the time I Was the only tipping. Which is kinda nice cause the dancer were spending lots of time and attention on me. rail action rival some LDs.
  • Fenster
    14 years ago
    Many years ago, somebody on the mezzanine in a club in Dallas was wadding up dollar bills and throwing them onto the stage below. A guy nearby observed that he (the thrower) might be from California, where he claimed stage tips couldn't be given directly to the girls.

And Arlington (TX) went through a period of silly ordinances about contact, and the girls on stage (when they were 'uncovered') were afraid to get tipped, lest there be incidental contact whilst sliding a bill into her wardrobe.

So, is contact (in plain view) a problem in Cali?
  • xedin5436
    14 years ago
    In San Diego, the tip rail is completely meaningless because the dancers can't touch you once they take anything off (maybe even before then), so your tip won't get you anything. Dancers make up for it by touring the room and collecting tips from everybody afer they're done.

I don't know if there's any kind of no-contact rule in LA as well, or if it's just playing cool for them.
  • Clubber
    14 years ago
    When I went to a club in SLC some years ago, you couldn't even hand a tip to the dancer. Just lay it on the stage and she would have to pick it up, and they didn't tip walk.
  • lopaw
    14 years ago
    I dunno, bumrubber.....here in the LAX area I see plenty of folks at the tiprail in the nude clubs, even during the daytime when I normally visit. And at the topless joints, sometimes the hootin' & hollerin' & clapping can get pretty loud as the night wears on and the alcohol flows freely.
  • Rod8432
    14 years ago
    It's been a few years since visiting SoCal clubs, particularly in and around San Diego, but yes, I experienced less than sterling service at the tip rail, or anywhere else in the club. Which is peculiar, because you'd think in wide open, liberal Southern Californica - with a military presence no less - it'd be a lot of fun at the rail. No dice. At the time, they had a 6-foot rule I think, which meant the girl couldn't come within 6' of a patron when dancing. There was literally a 6' wide moat, of sorts, ringing the stage. Also, the lapdances were bikini only. They were nice - I mean, what's not to like about a pretty girl rubbing up against you - but, she's not nude or even topless. Hell, most clubs in even third-tier cities like Tampa and Ft Lauderdale beat that hands down.

So, while SD is nice to visit, I wouldn't want to live there with respect to the clubs. The only exception might be you're a hop, skip, and jump-her-bones from TJ, which I've never done but is on my bucket list.
  • sharkhunter
    14 years ago
    Sounds like the politicians and elected officials in SoCal decided that the general population might be harmed by accidental contact with a stripper so they put laws in place and apparently spent taxpayer money having the police enforce it in some areas. What a waste of taxpayer money.

We need to stop wasting taxpayer money in this country and do away with stupid laws that do nothing to protect the general public. People routinely come in contact just exchanging money at a cash register. I read today the US could stop all spending on our defense budget and we would still not have a balanced budget. The government need to seriously cut back spending and cut out laws that serve no good purpose. I would rather have reduced police forces in this country catching criminals and responding to accidents rather than enforcing a no touch law somewhere.
  • sharkhunter
    14 years ago
    Unfortunately I'm starting to think elected politicians and elected officials won't cut the necessary spending and things will just collapse one day. Then we won't have any government that works for the people. If a strip club is still open and accepting money after that, it may be a free for all. Touching, sex, whatever you want or can barter for if you have something to trade. I wonder if during the next government shutdown, if ATF stops working as well.
  • bumrubber
    14 years ago
    lopaw,

I've been mostly to OC clubs, plus a couple of times in COI and LA, but not near LAX. I've heard those two clubs can be fun though.

Maybe a no-contact rule is to blame, but overall the crowds are pretty dead compared to other places.
  • runnoft
    14 years ago
    The only thing good about the strip club scene in So Cali is that it is close to Tijuana. Honestly, I don't see why anyone would go to a strip club in California. It is basically no touching at all. Private dances are non-existent. It totally sucks.
  • lopaw
    14 years ago
    "No touching at all or private dances in SoCal?" Get serious.
    You've obviously never been to the COI.

Unless you're a total dickwad to the dancers there is mileage to be had in SoCal.

AAMOF - I take it back - even a dickwad can score some action...at least with the desperate dancers.
  • minnow
    14 years ago
    I've found that L.A. area clubs are amoung the weakest in stageside interaction. I have several midwest, FL, and TX clubs as a frame of reference. Why it is so is a "chicken or egg first" kind of question. Not sure whether its local ordinances, or so cal dudes ( and dudettes) think its uncool to hoot and holler stageside, or dancers don't interact stageside because "real" money is made in VIP. But, it is what it is, and yes, there is mileage to be had in So Cal.
  • vincemichaels
    14 years ago
    Oh yeah, there is mileage to be had in So Cal. Ya gotta go to the right clubs.
  • bumrubber
    14 years ago
    runnoft,

Get thee to COI, you might get more than you bargained for.

Still, the lack of stage inter-ACTION is weird, especially considering what goes on in back.
  • MisterGuy
    14 years ago
    "And you'll never hear cheering or clapping, like, for example, in Canada."

I've only seen clapping for stage performance rarely in Canadian strip clubs. Also, tipping isn't expect, in general, in Canadian strip clubs.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion