tuscl

OT: Greatest sports rivalry of the century according to ESPN

1. Michigan vs. Ohio State
When Ohio Stadium opened in 1922, Michigan spoiled the party with a 22-0 victory. The rivalry was heated in the early days as both have been long-time college football powers. But it got even hotter in 1969, when Bo Schembechler took over as Michigan's coach and upset Woody Hayes' No. 1-ranked, undefeated Buckeyes. Four times in the next six years, both teams were ranked in the top five when they met. In 1970 and 1973, both were undefeated (they tied 10-10 in '73). From 1970 through 1975, Michigan entered without a loss every year. The Wolverines won just once. Ohio State was 9-0-1 in 1993, 11-0 in 1995 and 10-0 in 1996. The Buckeyes lost each time. That is rivalry.
http://espn.go.com/endofcentury/s/other/…

Columbus gold is having whipped cream wrestling special event, dreamgirls is waving $10 admission if you wear OSU shirt on gameday before 7pm, Kahoots has a tailgate buffet friday, etc. Strip clubs in Columbus are trying to profit from it. How are the strip clubs in Michigan promoting this big game?

25 comments

• Clubber
    14 years ago
    And how would one determine something so subjective? Likely it wouldn't even be in the US, nor would most know of it.
  • vincemichaels
    14 years ago
    GO BLUE!!
  • Philip A. Stein
    14 years ago
    It might be a great rivalry but it's only once had #1 v #2 and seldom has determined the national championship. Army-Navy is a great rivalry too.
    <yawn>
  • LoneLurker
    14 years ago
    Here's the link: http://espn.go.com/endofcentury/s/other/…

The first thing to remember is that, as Clubber says, you CAN'T quantify something like this. The piece is designed to stir folks up, get 'em to comment, and ultimately get more hits on the website.

All that said, I cannot believe that Army-Navy didn't even make the list. Despite the fact that the two teams have little relevance as far as national rankings, there's so much more depth and significance to this rivalry overall that I think it blows all the rest away.

I'll give 'em a personal nod for including the UNC rivalry despite the fact that they spelled "Dook" wrong.
  • Dudester
    14 years ago
    There are so many great rivalries out there, you can't make any of them number one, just a few:

Trojans-Fighting Irish
    Cowboys-Redskins
    Celtics-Lakers
    Yankees-BoSox
  • Philip A. Stein
    14 years ago
    Ohio State deserves to lose based on those awful unis
  • samsung1
    14 years ago
    I think the ESPN rankings were determined by polling "rivalry of the century". It was overwhelming voted as OSU/Michigan rivalry. Right now it is half time at the game and Ohio State is winning 24-7. We will see how it finishes.
  • vincemichaels
    14 years ago
    GO BLUE !!
  • vincemichaels
    14 years ago
    GO BLUE !!
  • vincemichaels
    14 years ago
    GO BLUE!!
  • vincemichaels
    14 years ago
    GO BLUE!!
  • vincemichaels
    14 years ago
    GO BLUE!!
  • vincemichaels
    14 years ago
    GO BLUE!!
  • troop
    14 years ago
    blue's going alright, back to michigan with their tails between their legs after their 10th ass-wipping in the last 11 games against osu! :-)
  • samsung1
    14 years ago
    lol geez VM I did not know you were so passionate about this game. It is the 4th quarter and Ohio state is winning 37-7.
  • samsung1
    14 years ago
    final score: 37-7
  • vincemichaels
    14 years ago
    Chris, you got any crow I can eat??? LOL
    U of M blew the OSU team after that stomping. LMAO
  • gatorfan
    14 years ago
    Fuck OSU and PSU. Florida - FSU is the greatest rivalry of them all.
  • Clubber
    14 years ago
    gf,

Not even close! Florida and The U. No wait, Florida won't play them any longer.
  • steve229
    14 years ago
    "Florida - FSU is the greatest rivalry of them all."

So how did that turn out this year?
  • Prim0
    14 years ago
    Didn't the Florida FSU rivalry start to see who would come in second to UM back in the 80s - 90s?

There are lots of great rivalries out there but this just might be the biggest. Look at all the alumns from both schools out there. And while I know that many schools have strong support, here in Ohio we don't really have any other good football teams to cheer for anyhow.
  • Clubber
    14 years ago
    Prim0,

Pretty much right on. Although both played Miami before they hit the big time, but only FSU continued to do so. I have a MAJOR dislike for uf since the GATOR FLOP! Worst example of sportsmanship, or lack thereof, I've ever seen!
  • troop
    14 years ago
    the mich/osu rivalry has gone on for over 100 years. sure there are alot of other rivalries but none compare.
  • farmerart
    14 years ago
    Oxford-Cambridge boat race on the Thames; well into the last half of its second century.

• Clubber
    14 years ago
    Man-Woman: Since they were both on this earth!

Or, when microbe #1 consumed microbe #2.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion