tuscl

Future of Memphis Strip Clubs Uncertain After Supreme Court Ruling

MEMPHIS, TN - The U.S. Supreme Court may have put many Memphis strip clubs out of business.

On Monday, October 4, 2010, the High Court declined to hear club owners' appeal of a new Shelby County ordinance that forbids alcohol and lap dances at adult establishments.

"Well, I wish it hadn't taken this long," says Shelby County Commissioner Mike Ritz. "But I always knew we were going to win."

It's been nearly three years since Commissioner Ritz successfully sponsored new legislation to regulate Memphis area strip clubs.

"We've become a center of this activity," Ritz tells ABC24. "There are people who would drive hundreds of miles to go to our clubs because they are so loosely operated."

But things would change drastically under the new rules. No drinking will be allowed at strip clubs, not even BYOB. Contact with dancers is also forbidden. Plus, the owners and entertainers have to pass criminal background checks to qualify for costly operating licenses.

Steve Cooper, owner of the Gold Club on Summer Avenue, fought the ordinance all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court and lost when the court refused to hear the appeal on its first day back in session Monday.

It's a major victory, says Ritz, not just for him, but for the entire community.

"It's going to change the face of these clubs for a long time," says Ritz.

Monday night at the Gold Club, employees were instructed to tell the media "no comment". Jerry Westland, the California-based owner of The Pony club, didn't return calls from ABC24. And workers were equally apprehensive at Showgirls on Lamar, although one employee shared his thoughts off-camera.

"No beer? No table dances?" he says. "We're done. That'll put most clubs out of business."

The same employee predicted a spike in crime and an increase in prostitution if Memphis strip clubs start to fold.

But you'll get no sympathy from Commissioner Ritz, a determined lawmaker who's been waiting a long time to clean up the town.

"I'm not really a prude about these things," he says. "But we don't need to be notorious for the fact our clubs are so loosely operated, and that's the way it's been. It won't be that way anymore."

Ritz says the new rules could start being enforced as early as February if attorneys for the strip club owners don't find another way to tie up the issue in court again.

http://www.myeyewitnessnews.com/news/loc…

7 comments

• deogol
    14 years ago
    Yes, I believe it will increase crime and prostitution. Next year the council will be crying about the need for higher property taxes and jobs Jobs JOBS! The electorate gets what it deserves.
  • shadowcat
    14 years ago
    Like I said in my article about the Memphis Platinum Plus, Memphis is dead.
  • samsung1
    14 years ago
    shadowcat, I enjoyed reading that article on Memphis. thanks for writing it.
  • sinclair
    14 years ago
    I always went to The Pony when I was in town, reasonable alcohol prices and good contact. Gold Club just got done with a remodel not too long ago. Too bad these clubs will now lose business like crazy and be forced to close. The Memphis scene is dead as soon as this legislation takes effect (February).
  • sanitago
    14 years ago
    "I'm not really a prude about these things,"
    yeah, right, and if you believe that one, I've got a bridge to sell in Brooklyn too.
    what a fucking prick!
  • snowtime
    14 years ago
    I also enjoyed Shadowcat's article on Memphis Platinum Plus. Many years ago I used to visit Memphis frequently and always spent my nights at Danny's or Tiffany's. Both were great for lapdances and cute girls. Made several visits to PP before it got closed for good. Have been to Memphis area recently but no longer visit their clubs. I guess I was one of the guys the politician was referring to when talking about men who drove a long way to get there. I also spent money on Memphis hotels and restaurants that I now spend in Tunica. I know that crime in Memphis is rampant and gang activity is widespread. Another example of the police making the easy case against strip clubs to show the naieve public they are serious about fighting crime.
  • MisterGuy
    14 years ago
    So if this new local law is a "mirror version" of an existing TN state law that's never been enforced, doesn't that mean bad news for a whole lot of other strip clubs in the state?

I could see one or two local strip clubs going more upscale with air dances & a juice bar vibe, but I agree that otherwise it'll be a blood bath for strip club jobs.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion