tuscl

PL Stalker ?

I recently changed numbers on my landline. First order of business-run off the bill collector looking for Fernando Obregon (not me). Second order-find out who the asshole is with "unavailable" on the caller I.D. who calls twice a day and hangs up. Tonight I got the loser to speak. He asked for Maria and it was a noisy place that he was calling from. It was also a caucasian voice. Is Maria screwing around on Fernando, or is she a stripper who does OTC ?

12 comments

• troop
    14 years ago
    i'm fernand... errr.. spartacus! :-)
  • gatorfan
    14 years ago
    First order of business is the same as second order of business.
  • gatorfan
    14 years ago
    Third order of business should be to call the collection company and tell them if they call you again it's a $200,000 fine per violation harrassing the wrong person.
  • sharkhunter
    14 years ago
    You might want to add in that you are on the Do not Call List first and that their phone calls are being recorded for evidence.

Me, I added a message to my answering machine that if you looking for someone without my last name, they don't live here. I've had a couple of different people use (I don't know if on purpose or accident) my phone number and others were trying to contact them for one reason or another.

I've asked the trooper association to put me on a Do Not Call List. They call multiple times every year seeking donations anyway. I think they only called 2 or 3 times this year without me even telling them this year to put me on the do not call list. I just told them, no thanks and hung up this time. You would think after not giving a penny for 8 years they would give up. Unfortunately they are exempted from the National Do Not Call List.
  • sharkhunter
    14 years ago
    Things could be worse. When I first moved to the town I live in now, apparently the guy who had my phone number owed some bills. One day I came home from work and I had a Court Summons on my door knob. Failure to show up in court could cause me to be arrested. Then I noticed it had the guy's name who used to have my phone number that others had called for to collect some debts. I called the police and they sent a detective out to pick up the summons.
  • sharkhunter
    14 years ago
    I did not realize this until the other day but I heard if someone files a lawsuit against you for a debt and you have to appear in court, you could become liable for that debt even if it wasn't yours to start with. That doesn't seem fair but that is what I heard.
  • Philip A. Stein
    14 years ago
    Hey Shark, non profits and local business are exempt from the do not call list. When I did those cold calls, we simply cut the spine off a telephone book and went through page by page, line by line and called everyone in town. Perfectly legal and little the public can do about it.

Same holds true with political robo calls. You just don't have much of a way to stop them.
  • gatorfan
    14 years ago
    You can always not answer the phone.
  • sharkhunter
    14 years ago
    That's exactly what I did tonight. Phone rang and they did not leave a message. I'd say 95 percent chance someone wanted a donation. 5 percent chance of a wrong number. A one in a 200 chance of a dancer trying to contact me that I haven't spoken to in months. Almost everyone else I know will start to leave a message on the answering machine.
  • sharkhunter
    14 years ago
    Of course if they keep calling, I will pick up, tell them no or no thanks, then hang up on them.
  • samsung1
    14 years ago
    telephone spam is so much worse than email!
  • racejeff
    14 years ago
    Correction to Phillip A Stein Comments - It may depend on if you are speaking of Federal or State Do Not Call Lists. But Federal does not have a local business exemption for Do Not Call Lists.

Exemptions on Federal level are Charity, Political Surveys and Existing business relationships for 18 months after last transaction. Oh, and Bill collection. Some states are much tougher than federal law. I live in a state that has many Real Estate people in state legislature and we have a Realtor exception. Living in a state where AG is tough on this is nice I no longer get much junk phone calling.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion