tuscl

Musing on Music in Clubs

On my recent tour I concentrated my visits on action clubs. Without exception in these clubs I found the stage shows to be useless. Why not use the music in these clubs to complement the sexier activities taking place.
To my mind the sexiest piece of music ever written is Ravel's "Bolero". Wagner's "Flight of the Valkyries" is up there too. Other choices would be throbbing African drums or drum solos of any kind <Joe Morello's "Castilian Drums">. I heard no classic 60s or 70s rock. The Stones <Satisfaction>; Fleetwood Mac; husky-voiced Janis Joplin would all fit.
And the classic SC anthem - ZZ TOP's "Legs" :

'.....She's got legs and knows how to use 'em" !!!

I did not hear one bar of that gem. Responses from any dancers who read this post would be fascinating to read.

5 comments

• DoctorDarby
    14 years ago
    I'll venture a comment, but just to let you know, this topic has been done to death, which is why it didn't garner any responses. I have always wanted to program music for dancers. I think your semi-classical suggestions are a bit too far out for most clubs, dancers, and customers, but symphonic rock with female vocals, like Epica, Nightwish, Evenescence, Delain, and others would work nicely. It has the thrusting power of classical, the slow, grinding crunch of metal, and big, catchy hooks like rock. Unfortunately, all the songs are too long for the 3-4 minute strip club norm. I have seen some good stage shows to Skillet's "Hero" and a couple of Flyleaf tunes recently. I heard the classic rock stuff back in the 80s and really find it tiresome at this point. Worse classic rock dance music: all Led Zeppelin; coolest use of classic rock I've ever seen: Pink Floyd's "Pigs" off the Animals album with two girls and ice cubes. Eleven minutes of ecstasy. Whoopie!
  • samsung1
    14 years ago
    DD, this was a double post. The exact same topic was also here
    http://www.tuscl.net/dt.php?DID=112048
  • samsung1
    14 years ago
    I enjoy using pandora.com to discover new music similar to my favorite music. You can create a music station on there and it plays music similar to what you requested. For example, I have stations set that plays music similar to "Girls, Girls, Girls" and it plays songs like Girls, Girls, Girls, (Live) by Motely Crue on Carnival of Sins. Also just set up a station that plays music similar to "Smells like Teen Spirit" and I have enjoyed that as well. Pandora is free but plays the occasional ad. If you want to remove the ad it is like $30 something per year. Much cheaper than Sirius satellite radio, which is like $12 per month.
  • DoctorDarby
    14 years ago
    I thought it looked familiar . . . . duhhhhh. Oh well. I just discovered Pandora but haven't explored the possibilities. I was in Club 76 the other night and a thunderstorm knocked their programmed music out for a few minutes. I like the fact that the programmed set-up plays full songs and a good variety, but there are no breaks between songs at all, so you really have to pay attention to when one ends and another begins.
  • samsung1
    14 years ago
    nothing sucks more than a dj clipping the songs at 3 min each for 30 dollar LDs (kahoots)
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion