tuscl

Foreign fans caught up in Cape Town strip club raid

Cape Town - Foreign fans who travelled to South Africa for the World Cup were among those arrested in a raid on a Cape Town strip club, media reports said Sunday.
Police raided a strip club called Arabesque in the coastal city in the early hours of Saturday, arresting 17 patrons and around three dozen exotic dancers - many of them also foreign - the Weekend Argus reported.
Two Dutch and one Briton were among the customers taken into custody, although they were later released.
Most of the exotic dancers were from Russia, Bulgaria and the Ukraine and are accused of entering the country illegally to take advantage of a spike in sex work during the World Cup, the newspaper said.
Many working girls, mainly from South Africa and surrounding countries, have been plying their trade in the bars of Cape Town's Victoria & Alfred Waterfront, picking up custom from the male-dominated hordes of foreign fans, witnesses say.

http://www.monstersandcritics.com/sport/…

Jun 27, 2010

3 comments

• Dudester
    14 years ago
    Pretty stupid on SA's government. Don't raid the club during the event. But, basedon how annoying those horns are, it'll be a century, or more, before the World Cup is there again. I could be wrong, but I don't think people travel there unless they're looking for something way, far, off the beaten path.
  • samsung1
    14 years ago
    There were several warnings about avoiding the prostitution when going to World Cup but I did not read about any warnings about avoiding the strip clubs.

Next World Cup 2014 is going to be in Brazil...I look forward to that!
  • jabthehut
    14 years ago
    South Africans seem to be generally annoying. They even had protests during the WC demanding that the US fork over even more money to help with fighting AIDS there. Thabo Mbeki, SA president from 1999 to 2008, expressed doubt that HIV caused Aids and the government there didn't recognize HIV as the cause of AIDS until 2002.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion