tuscl

Arlington considering Prostitution Exclusion Zone for Super Bowl XLV

Arlington police have been cracking down on prostitution in the entertainment district – home of Cowboys Stadium – for several years. Now, they're looking to keep hookers and johns from returning.

The City Council is scheduled to receive a briefing Tuesday afternoon about creating a Prostitution Exclusion Zone. The ordinance would set boundaries that people convicted of prostitution-related offenses would not be allowed to cross, except in limited circumstances. The exclusive zone would last for one year.

The proposed zone includes a large section of north Arlington, including Cowboys Stadium, Six Flags Over Texas and Rangers Ballpark in Arlington. That area also includes stretches filled with bars and cheap motels that have attracted drugs, prostitution and other crime for years.

While Cowboys Stadium was still under construction, Arlington police started an effort called Operation Spotlight to combat prostitution. From 2006 to 2009, police made 494 prostitution arrests, with 319 of those coming during john stings.

The department also posts photos of those arrested for prostitution on the Arlington police website.

The creation of a Prostitution Exclusion Zone is a discussion item only Tuesday and is not scheduled for vote. If approved, the ordinance would make a violation a Class C misdemeanor, which is the equivalent of a speeding ticket. The person would still be subject to arrest though.
June 22, 2010
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/…

5 comments

• Dudester
    14 years ago
    For decades, I was a Cowboy fan, but after realizing that the games are fixed, I lost interest.

After visiting Dallas, I found it wanting. Houston is the largest city in the US without zoning. Dallas, on the other hand, is all about zoning. During my visit, I found it difficult to get a sandwich and soda at 3 a.m. It's all about zoning.
  • samsung1
    14 years ago
    Also strange how the christians right preaches about forgiveness but when it comes to prostitution they want to ban people from certain parts of the city.
  • samsung1
    14 years ago
    Southwest Airlines is celebrating 39 years of air travel with fares starting at $39.

The Dallas-based airline announced the fare sale Tuesday, offering one-way tickets out of Love Field for the low rate through 11:59 p.m. Thursday.
    Travelers can purchase one-way tickets for $39, $79, or $119 to select destinations based on length of travel. For travel up to 450 miles, fares are $39 one-way. For travel between 451 and 1000 miles, fares are $79 one-way. For travel more than 1001 miles, fares are $119 one-way.

The only catch is that the tickets are only good for travel between Sept. 8 and Nov. 17.
  • deogol
    14 years ago
    Look, we need to realize this is a free country. People can't just be walking around where ever they want! Ridiculous! The police need more reasons to harass people for what ever reason. It is important for the integrity of our country!
  • MisterGuy
    14 years ago
    "Houston is the largest city in the US without zoning."

Kinda. Many private properties in Houston have legal covenants or deed restrictions that limit the future uses of land, which is very similar to a zoning system.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion