tuscl

Is she old enough to drink?

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
Customers are ID'd for age and at my favorite club, those under 21 must wear a glow in the dark wrist band so that the waitresses, etc know not to serve them alcohol.

But what about the dancers? They can strip at 18 but in most states cannot drink until they are 21. Management checks their IDs when they start stripping but who checks them for drinking. With so many dancers working and not carrying their IDs, how can bar tenders and waitress'know who is legal and who is not? They cannot be expected to remember who is legal and who is not and turn over among them is high. And what about the customer? How is he to know? Could he be held legally responsible for buying an underage dancer a drink? I know that under age dancers are getting shit faced.

13 comments

• samsung1
    14 years ago
    This is a good question. I was wondering the same thing a couple weeks ago. I was with a dancer who I met last year and she told me she just had just graduated high school. Well a couple weeks ago, she tells me she is 24 (she looks 19). I called her out on it, and she was like "why would I lie to you about my age being old - women lie to make themselves younger". She did smell like she was drinking but she had just arrived so it was probably before coming into work.

I told her fine, lets prove you are 24 by going to the bar and getting a drink together. She laughed and told me we can go back in the middle of the song to start. I did end up getting 3.5 good high mileage dances from her.
  • Philip A. Stein
    14 years ago
    I think the reason underage girls don't violate the law is they'll get fired and/or barred. With all the ss, it would about about as long for the drink to be drank as it would for a rat to tattle on her.

I like the young ladies. My favorite answer to a drink offer, "yes, a Red Bull please."
  • CTQWERTY
    14 years ago
    And there's a lot that goes on in the dancers' dressing room. I've seen and heard underage girls emerge drunk from their dressing room, and sometimes talk of a joint being passed around in the back. Never heard yet of anything stronger...
  • gatorjoe2
    14 years ago
    Some places do what most college bars/clubs do and requires the girls to wear a band or put an X on the hand. It just depends on the waitress/bartender/bouncers enforcing it.

• samsung1
    14 years ago
    I do remember Club X was busted for underage drinking several years ago but I do not know any of the details. It probably was the dancers drinking underage though because the under 21 customers have to wear special t-shirts and pay an additional cover charge.
    14 years ago
    It seems like at the larger clubs I go to they make the underage girls wear a wristband.

Of course no guarentees how long the wristband stays on. One girl told me she often got in trouble for removing it. But got served a lot of drinks by unsuspecting waitresses in the meantime.
  • londonguy
    14 years ago
    You can't drink legally until you are 21? Wow, that's strange.
  • CTQWERTY
    14 years ago
    Yes, London: That's the way it is in a lot of states here. Wisconsin was one of the last holdouts (was 19). The Reagan administration said "Raise it to 21 or forfeit your federal highway funds." Wisconsin then raised their legal age to 21. Just don't look too hard around the main university there (Univ. of Wisconsin): you'd think the legal age to drink is 18.
  • vincemichaels
    14 years ago
    Yes, londonguy, 21 is the norm here in the USA, lots of clubs here get into trouble for serving their underage dancers. One club here in Detroit finally got its' liquor license back after about 5 years or so of being unable to serve liquor. It kinda sucked, but the exceptionally high mileage kept the place alive.
  • Philip A. Stein
    14 years ago
    Henry the 8th South! Never heard of it...
  • jester214
    14 years ago
    Reminds me of the last time I was in a club, obviously drunk and most likely underage dancer came up to my table and picked up my beer drank from it and walked away... I was pissed.
  • divadiver
    14 years ago
    It wasn't just the Reagan administration, CTQWERTY.

In 1984 Congress passed and the president signed the National Minimum Drinking Age Act. The Act, which raised the drinking age to 21 under threat of highway fund withholding, sought to address the problem of drunken driving fatalities. And indeed, that problem was serious.

States that lowered their ages during the 1970s and did nothing else to prepare young adults to make responsible decisions about alcohol witnessed an alarming increase in alcohol-related traffic fatalities. It was as though the driving age were lowered but no drivers education were provided. The results were predictable.
  • DandyDan
    14 years ago
    Evwery tittie bar I've been to that served alcohol except one required their dancers to be 21 before they'd be hired, as far as I know. The one exception I knew about (a place that closed up), the dancers who were underage got stamped on their hand, except that didn't come up too much, but I do remember one dancer who was underage and wondering what the stamp on her hand was about. As for the BYOB clubs in Iowa I visit most, I have no idea. My favorite club can't keep jail bait out, so it wouldn't be shocking if they had underage drinking there, except I don't know of any under-21 dancers there.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion