tuscl

Beautiful women can be bad for your health, according to scientists

Meeting a beautiful woman can be bad for your health, scientists have found.
Just five minutes alone with an attractive female raise the levels of cortisol, the body's stress hormone, according to a study from the University of Valencia.
The effects are heightened in men who believe that the woman in question is "out of their league".
Cortisol is produced by the body under physical or psychological stress and has been linked to heart disease.
Researchers tested 84 male students by asking each one to sit in a room and solve a Sudoku puzzle. Two strangers, one male and one female, were also in the room.
When the female stranger left the room and the two men remained sitting together, the volunteer's stress levels did not rise. However, when the volunteer was left alone with the female stranger, his cortisol levels rose.
The researchers concluded: "In this study we considered that for most men the presence of an attractive woman may induce the perception that there is an opportunity for courtship.
"While some men might avoid attractive women since they think they are 'out of their league', the majority would respond with apprehension and a concurrent hormonal response.
"This study showed that male cortisol levels increased after exposure to a five-minute short social contact with a young, attractive woman."
Cortisol can have a positive effect in small doses, improving alertness and well-being. However, chronically elevated cortisol levels can worsen medical conditions such as heart disease, diabetes, hypertension and impotency.
03 May 2010
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopi…

16 comments

• bigdude012
    14 years ago
    damn and I got to strip clubs for stress relief
  • steve229
    14 years ago
    Luckily, in a strip club you don't have to worry about a woman being "out of your league," just if she is "out of your price range."
  • CTQWERTY
    14 years ago
    And to think I just watched "Crank" last night. Amy Smart, plays Jason Statham's 'squeeze', goes from screwing Statham in the middle of a Chinatown market, to blowing him during a car chase to "keep up his heart rate", lol.
  • vincemichaels
    14 years ago
    OH MAN, now I know I am going to die.
  • Dudester
    14 years ago
    In my teens, I ran into burning buildings (volunteer firefighter). As a young adult, I jumped out of perfectly good airplanes into live fire zones (Marines). Later on (small town cop), I fearlessly took on men twice my size without backup.

When it comes to charging a machine gun nest, I understand the rules (they're trying to kill me, I'm trying to kill them). When it comes to being alone with a woman, I don't understand the rules because they change every five minutes.
  • Clubber
    14 years ago
    Dudester,

Starblazer's Convention?
  • bigdude012
    14 years ago
    Damn Dudester I didn't realize you had a masters in being a badass.
  • sharkhunter
    14 years ago
    I thought I read seeing boobs was healthy. Maybe to remedy the extra stress pretty girls put on guys it should be a requirement that pretty girls boobs should almost always be visible. That way the health effects will be balanced. This could work in a strip club. I doubt anyone would go for it at work though except for the guys.
  • sharkhunter
    14 years ago
    I wonder if I can get paid to participate in a study to see if my increased stress levels from pretty girls is balanced by seeing their boobs? Is our government paying for these studies?
  • Dain
    14 years ago
    What a stud our friend Dudester is!

I have the highest academic degree, have taught beautiful women for decades, have bedded over fifty of them, have had climatic experiences at many clubs, and still feel stressed in private with a beautiful woman! Shit!
  • Dudester
    14 years ago
    Starblazers, yes. I always wanted to be Derek.
  • wallanon
    14 years ago
    What is the highest academic degree?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starblazers

Even for TUSCL this thread has jumped the shark. It'd be interesting, if a little frivolous, to run a long term study on these types of effects. Doubt any academic would have the patience for it since it would be so tough to control for other factors, though.
  • gatorfan
    14 years ago
    I'm just going to start bringing containers of salt to strip clubs and halve my mortality rate according these "government studies".
  • bigdude012
    14 years ago
    I need $5000 from the govt in order to confirm this. why $5000 u ask, well I want to be as thorough as possible.
  • CTQWERTY
    14 years ago
    BD, apply for some grant dough:

1. FSEOG - This is the Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant. This alternative to the Pell Grant can get you up to $4000 a year for school.
    2. ACG Grant - This is a new grant that gives students up to $750 for the first year of undergrad work and up to $1300 for the second year of study.
    3. SMART Grant - This grant is for students in their third and fourth year of undergraduate study and it provides up to $4000 a year for students in the math and science field.
    http://www.thepellgrant.com/pell-grant-a…

Certainly your research would be "scientific" and qualify you for option #3 (provided you haven't graduated already.) Maybe the other two as well.
  • johnnyx
    14 years ago
    So hang on, being with a beautiful woman increases impotency? How much did they get paid to do this study?
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion