tuscl

Clubs having "tip" Buckets at the Door

Sunday, April 4, 2010 2:55 PM
The club I went to last night had a bucket for tips right at the door once you paid you cover charge. The guy at the door made sure he pointed it out by saying we accept ,but if only you want to do so. I just looked at him and walked on. I have seen this done once before some years ago at another club. IMO tips are only for Dancers, waitresses and Bartenders. Everyone else in the club gets a salary or paid by the hour. The guy that was at the door last night I think was a member of management so he definitly does not need a tip.

14 comments

• zipman68
    14 years ago
    It is obnoxious when clubs do this, but I've generally thrown a dollar in. I figure the cost is low and it makes me look generous. There is less of a bad taste when the door is manned (or "womaned" I guess) by a hot babe.
  • CTQWERTY
    14 years ago
    Jpac, I couldn't agree more. Yet I've been rebuked by others for saying so on this site. Frankly I do many things for free in the course of my employment and usually receive just a thank you. Also, many businesses such as grocery stores employ cashiers who stand on their feet for hours on end--yet it's the norm for them NOT to be tipped. Typically the cashier at a club has a stool to at least sit on. And for their rather simplistic transactions (taking cover, giving change, attaching a wristband, etc.) they have a tip container large enough to hold a trout stationed in a very visible position. I guess (from their standpoint) it doesn't hurt to try, and if they can coax an extra $10 in salary per hour via tips then it's the grocery store cashiers who are the real dummies for working the jobs they do.
  • potheadpl
    14 years ago
    I only tip if a hot woman works the door, and ONLY if I leave and re-enter.
  • basketball
    14 years ago
    A tip is suppose to be given for excellent service given. I just gave them money to walk into their facility and spend more money. Why should this require a tip. The only reason it is there is because every other transaction in the club (drinks, dances, bathroom) allow for tipping. Anything they get is gravy. If the person pats me down, is a hott female, and makes sure I have absolutely no concealed weapons in my crotch, I will give her a tip.
  • samsung1
    14 years ago
    I just go ahead and tip $1. You never know when they will end up being an asshole and go report you to the mgmt for some bullshit. Why risk losing out on a fun night over a stupid $1. I know it adds up but I just eat the loss. Columbus strip clubs have got really uptight about making sure people tip $1 at the door. It's bullshit. You could also give the excuse that you don't have any $1s on you yet but when you leave you will tip. Just don't wait around for their reply or they might say "well here I'll break your bills for you"
  • Jpac73
    14 years ago
    Well if you don't give them the exact amount for the cover fee they are going to give you your change in 1dollar bills. "Guess they figure you are gonna need those ones for tipping the dancers.
  • SuperDude
    14 years ago
    What service do they perform? In most clubs they are sitting there and collecting the cover and nothing else. Managers in Detroit continue to lose customers over this foolishness. Tips are required for the door person, the bouncer if you want a booth ($20.00), the bathroom attendant, the bartender, the waitress, the bouncer at the VIP ($5-$10), the coat check and the valet parking attendant. WHEW! Time to take a break.
  • sinclair
    14 years ago
    I picked up a pizza from Domino's yesterday and there was a tip jar on the counter. You want a tip just because I handed you the exact amount due and placed it into a cash register? Whatever. I never wear a coat into a titty bar, even if it is -20F outside. I am too cheap to pay for a mandatory coat check and don't want my pockets searched through.
  • LeeH
    14 years ago
    Woman at the door gets $1, $2 if she's really hot. Man at the door gets a 'thank you'.
  • samsung1
    14 years ago
    I saw at Vanity the tip bucket had mostly $2 bills in it because the door girl gives change with $2 bills.
  • CTQWERTY
    14 years ago
    Sam, you're starting to spur memories of the professional pandhandler pulling down 6 figures...
  • DoctorDarby
    14 years ago
    Ditto Lee H's rule.
  • jabthehut
    14 years ago
    The owner of Harper's in Winston-Salem has a tip jar at the door. I always put in a buck 'cause I shoot the bull with her for a good 15 minutes before entering and sometimes when leaving. She is a character. She also doesn't mind the dancers giving customers their phone numbers - her reasoning is that customers can call to tell the dancer when they will visit so the girl can make sure she is there.
  • gatorjoe2
    14 years ago
    I don't mind tipping... But a place I have visted twice over the past month, has a cute "suicide" girl (trust me, it's a compliment) working the door with a sign that says "Tip or Die" Thought that might be a bit extreme, but I would much rather "tip" her than the guy that works there. Such a contrast having a female work the door vs a guy. I almost feel better having a girl than a guy there like it will be my lucky day. I will not tip the bathroom trolls unless I go #2 or have no aim. I can't stand these guys.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion