tuscl

Playing to the Crowd

Wednesday, March 31, 2010 7:21 PM
I'm a young dancer in Indianapolis, and I wanted to ask about what type of music the majority of patrons like to listen to. I will say, upfront, that I do not like entertaining or dancing for black men, even though I am mixed myself. In my experience, they are rude, ignorant, and don't tip. Therefore, I don't play rap. Ever. Since I am a fetish dancer and work with props such as whips, I play a lot of metal and alternative rock. Occasional pop, but less often. I'm wondering, however, if it's overbearing, the shrieked lyrics and whatnot.

28 comments

• Dudester
    14 years ago
    You're a fetish dancer-not my cup of tea. A smart club realizes that middle aged and older men have the money. Middle aged and older men prefer polite dancers and the music of Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, and Aerosmith.
  • uscue13
    14 years ago
    What kind of club is it? Asking because the clubs I frequent have never had any girls use props on stage. We much more prefer the girl to come out and dance rather than tease. Unless the music varies widely between all the dancers at the club, just go with what's the norm there
  • fetish_dancer
    14 years ago
    @ Dudester: Perfect! I do play quite a bit of Aerosmith and Led Zepplin. @Uscue: It's just a regular club. I simply choose to bring things on-stage. And the music doesn't vary - everyone there, except me, plays rap, and it gets annoying after about four hours straight.
  • sinclair
    14 years ago
    I like hard rock and heavy metal in strip clubs. The classic rock isn't aggressive enough. Rob Zombie, Seether, Godsmack, Static-X, Three Days Grace, Demon Hunter, Five Finger Death Punch, In This Moment, Powerman 5000, Eighteen Visions are all legit. Playing all rap at a club is like inviting the gangbanger crowd to loiter.
  • fetish_dancer
    14 years ago
    I also play a lot of Rob Zombie, Godsmack, and Rammstein! Rammstein is my favorite out of those three bands, however :)
  • samsung1
    14 years ago
    Hi fetish_dancer, I wish you luck with your dancing career. I would recommend going to check out Brad's Brass Flamingo. It is the number one ranked club on tuscl and you can get a free admission pass on their website. [view link] Also a strip club here in Columbus, OH has "fetish nights". The club is called kahoot's. Also I was wondering if you could post a pic of yourself...we would all love to see what you look like ;)
  • Player11
    14 years ago
    I like techno
  • fetish_dancer
    14 years ago
    I LOVE techno, but Indy's strip club environment isn't so conducive to it.
  • DoctorDarby
    14 years ago
    Metal is excellent as long as it has a pace you can dance to and the other girls can grind to out in the club. Speed metal and growling don't work well. Power bands with female vocals like Halestorm, Delain, Lacuna Coil, Evenesence, or Nightwish are pretty cool. The other problem with rock is that the songs tend to be longer and often get cut short before they build to the climax. Classic rock tends to be a bit boring because we have heard it so much. With all due respect, Led Zeppelin is not really dancable; on the other hand, Scorpions, Rainbow, Dio, and the like work pretty well. Not everyone will appreciate your fetish show or attention to detail, but as you can see by the responses, some of us get it! Good luck.
  • Philip A. Stein
    14 years ago
    Fat middle aged men like me like the old throw backs, like what have been mention. Kid Rock seems to be able to blend a little rap, old school rock into a contemporary way that seems to reach across generations. Want to playto the old deadheads? Throw on Sugar Mag followed by Don't Ease Me In. I dare you!
  • fetish_dancer
    14 years ago
    Great tips, Mr. Stein! Thanks!
  • lopaw
    14 years ago
    My music tastes fall along the lines of Garbage, Green Day, STP, Bush, and virtually any new indie songs heard on college radio or public radio. Needless to say I don't often hear much of this type of music in the clubs I attend....but when I do, I tip that dancer well, regardless of what she looks like or how she dances.
  • casualguy
    14 years ago
    I am very familar with Rob Zombie, Godsmack, and Rammstein. I also like Metallica and used to listen to a little bit of Megadeth but haven't so much lately. I like some pop but I believe it's getting to be a year or two old pop that I liked better now. Only certain songs. Older music such as Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, and Aerosmith might be ok if I wanted some slower longer playing music but I would not want to hear it for too long. I heard those songs over and over back in college. I would say Rush and Led Zeppelin I used to hear a lot in college. I drove my dorm room neighbor up the wall with Rush one year. I thought that was funny. I had a lot less variety back then without the internet.
  • fetish_dancer
    14 years ago
    All this advice is awesome. It looks like I'm doing things right. While I WILL play a bit of thrash/speed metal, (i.e., Cradle of Filth, Dimmu Borgir) which I find fun to dance to, the majority of the bands that you all have listed are also in my repertoire. This is an example of the songs I would play in a 6hr shift: Rob Zombie: Living Dead Girl, Dragula, Pussy Liquor Bush: Mouth Godsmack: Voodoo Rammstein: Du Hast, Feuer Frei!, Sonne Led Zepplin: Kashmir, the Immigrant Song Metallica: Nothing Else Matters, Enter Sandman Green Day: American Idiot Evanescence: Haunted, Call Me When You're Sober, Torniquet (basically anything by them!) Limp Bizkit: My Generation, My Way, and I would play the F**k Song if it wasn't edited And then, just for fun, I might throw in some Lady Gaga or Daft Punk, TATU or even Benny Benassi. Now, while I adore Rush, I don't play any of it. I'm not sure Rush has dancing-type songs...I could be wrong :)
  • Mr.White
    14 years ago
    you look hot in your pic.share some more!!do you do hotwax,body paint?you would be surprised how that excites the crowd.i've always liked the collar and chains look.leather ,leather, [view link].i'm not into it OTC but it sure is fun to watch onstage.its sad when a stripper trys to act the part and fails though.she would really have to be into it for it to work.i like you taste of music.its nice to hear something other than the basic ass clap music in a club.
  • fetish_dancer
    14 years ago
    I would, but I don't really have any more. Nor full body pics. I haven't tried hot wax or body paint, but I know that liquid latex is pretty 'vogue' in the fetish scene, so I might incorporate that into a set or two at some point. The thing is, I AM into it OTC so it makes my ITC sets that much more genuine. Also, I think fetish dancing is more my body type. Not fat, but not twiggish, either. I'm not plastic and I don't have the skinny, ribcage look a lot of strippers are sporting. I enjoy my form for the most part and I think the plasticine, anorexic look defies the idea of a "titty bar." You go to see curves, not straight-edged teenage boys.
  • MisterGuy
    14 years ago
    I always a point to let dancers that play heavier music know that I like their choice of music to dance to, since I hear it so rarely these days. Same goes to you fetish_dancer... I actually knew a dancer that was using the name "Hypnotica" as her stage name in NY state too...weird...
  • fetish_dancer
    14 years ago
    lol, I go by Lasher.
  • MisterGuy
    14 years ago
    Ut oh...and I'll bet you have the lashes to prove it...
  • georgmicrodong
    14 years ago
    While I would prefer to be the one holding the whips, I suspect I would enjoy your show, if only to fantasize about taking them away from you and demonstrating to you exactly how they should be used on your..., er, ahem, I mean, um, enjoy your show as the beautiful art form it obviously is... Seriously, dancers who enjoy what they are doing are much more enjoyable to *watch* as well, and the fact that yours is different makes it even more so. Keep us posted on where you're working. I make it up to the Indy nerd-fest every couple of years, and I'd at least go to see the show. And put the picture back up. :)
  • fetish_dancer
    14 years ago
    lol @ George
  • LeeH
    14 years ago
    Eh, my fave kind of dancer is the kind that makes me think, "What? There was music playing?" More to the point, I'd much rather the dancer like the song than I like it. Makes for a better dance 99% of the time.
  • lopaw
    14 years ago
    I've never had the pleasure of seeing a fetish style dancer or even a dancer w/ a dominatrix styled motif at any of the clubs I attend. I think that if I ever do encounter such a lady, she'd have a heck of a time getting rid of me - I'd probably follow her around the club like a submissive puppy.
  • fetish_dancer
    14 years ago
    @Iopaw: I, by BDSM standards and nature, am a submissive. Uncollared - I stil retain my 'free-bird' independence. However, while I'm not a dominatrix type, the roles can be reversed. I've heard the saying 'a good sub makes a great dom,' but I don't know yet... That having been said, I think every club should have at least ONE fetish dancer. That's how I market my image; chain accessories, a little latex here and there, and lots of black. Also come armed with a flogger most nights. It's great fun, but a lot of conservative Indiana types are a little turned off by it. Last Samhain (Hallowe'en) I dressed in a nun's full garb, robe, wimple, gloves, rosary, everything, and used that in one of my sets. Again, the atmosphere was not too conducive. I suppose my niche would be in a more liberal city, but I'm here for now, lol
  • samsung1
    14 years ago
    There is a fetish party in Columbus April 10th but I do not know anyone who I would go with. I am always open to exploring new sexual frontiers lol [view link]
  • fetish_dancer
    14 years ago
    Interesting!!! Why the hell is there a bigger fetish scene in Ohio than there is in Indiana!? Unfair...
  • lopaw
    14 years ago
    f_d: What on earth are you doing in Indiana when you could be here in L.A.! You'd be like a kid in a fetish candy store here with all of the diverse persona's wandering around my fave clubs! ;)
  • fetish_dancer
    14 years ago
    Iopaw: Oh, LA is NOT my cup of tea when it comes to social issues/economy. It would be fun to check out the fetish scene, but I wouldn't want to live there. But maybe I'll visit >:D
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion