tuscl

New strip club near downtown causing concern

San Antonio -- A new gentlemen's club is open for business. The Venue is just a little more than a mile away from the San Antonio Riverwalk and in a neighborhood that's been working to clean things up.

You often see people waiting outside Lulu's cafe off I-35. It's a popular with tourists. We caught up with Caleb and his family who drove in from Houston just to visit Lulu's off I-35.

"I think we're going to try the chicken fried steak and the giant cinnamon bun," he told us.

Caleb was surprised to hear just a few feet away from this San Antonio staple, a hospital, and a neighborhood was a strip club.

"I'd probably be more leery of what time I came out here,” Caleb said. “I think lunch would be more appropriate than dinner."

The Venue claims to be the “Best and only downtown gentlemen's club”. Jim Deegear, a lawyer for the club, says the owners picked this location off Lexington and Main Street because it is so close to downtown San Antonio and tourist money.

"Their market is going to be, to a large degree, downtown,” Deegear explained. “Generally men, sometimes women, will stop by on their way home. Profits could also come from conventions and tourist stuff."

We spoke with president of the Downtown Alliance Organization, Ben Brewer. He said anything south of I-35 is considered part of downtown. And while this new club, which sits just a block north of I-35, misses that boundary - he still has some concerns.

"You do have hospitals and medical offices and things like that where families are, where individuals are taking their children for treatment. And things like that," Brewer pointed out.

We also spoke with the Tobin Hills Neighborhood Association. They've been working to boost businesses in this area and revitalize the neighborhood. They're not happy about this strip club. In fact, they're worried it could reflect poorly on this part of town and cause crime-related problems in the future.

But the club's owner tells New 4 WOAI he hopes to contribute to the revitalization of Tobin Hills. He plans to do that by beefing up security around his club, encouraging tourists to venture outside the immediate downtown area and opening a few more businesses that include a cafe and pizzeria.
http://www.woai.com/news/local/story/New…

2 comments

• Dudester
    15 years ago
    Being a frequent visitor to San Antonio, I'd prefer a SC near the downtown-river walk area. Agreed, the river walk is pretty much a "Disney" attraction-100% family friendly, but San Antonio does convention business and conventioneers like SC's. Houston has only done one or two SC raids a year the past five years or so and Houston's convention business is now almost 100% year round when just a decade ago conventions only happened sporadically during the year.
  • samsung1
    15 years ago
    Here in Columbus we don't have any strip clubs downtown. There used to be the Body Shop Lounge but that got shut down/busted. I never went there but I have heard from others and have read on review sites that it was a ghetto dive. I believe they are going to try to reopen it as Misty's Lounge but I have not heard anything yet.
    Our convention center is downtown and recently hosted the Arnold's Classic. It was a event that drew 170,000 people. Dreamgirls did the most marketing for it even though they are about 25-30 minutes away. They gave everyone with a ticket stub free admission and a free drink...and I ended up going there (I had to pay $10 cover w/o ticket) and it was packed standing only.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion