tuscl

Are Burlesque Dancers Strippers?

I read an interesting recent blog post by a Chicago burlesque dancer and I think it is relevant because Mardi Gra is coming (Feb 16) and I'm sure some of you will be in New Orleans for it. I won't be in New Orleans but I will be going to Club X's Mardi Gra party here in Columbus, OH.

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/chaos_in…
"So you're a stripper?" I get that question every time I tell someone that I'm a burlesque dancer.

According to the Merrian-Webster Dictionary, a stripper is "one that strips." So based on the definition, I am a stripper.

Yes, I take my clothes off in front of a room full of people, but there is a huge difference between what I do and what can be seen in a strip club.

First and foremost, burlesque is a noncontact sport. Meaning, there is a distinct separation between the audience and the dancer; there is no stuffing dollars down g-strings and no lap dances. Nor are there any poles involved. Plus full nudity is strictly prohibited.

By now, most of the guys who are reading this are thinking, "What's the point of going to a burlesque show when I could just go to the strip club?"

Showmanship. That's what burlesque shows are all about, and that's what differentiates it from other displays of eroticism. The costumes, the glitter, the stories ... All of these aspects contribute to the allure of burlesque.

Have you ever seen a man quiver at the sight of a woman slowly removing a silk glove? Or a crowd of eager onlookers go wild at the site of woman taking of a thigh-high stocking?

If your answer to both of these questions is no, I suggest you get yourself to a show immediately!

There are shows all over the Windy City where guys and gals can get a glimpse into the multi-faceted world of burlesque, and a lot of them are free. So even if you are still contemplating the allure of burlesque shows as it relates to the strip club, you won't be hurting your pockets by taking a peek.

Check out Heartbreakers Burlesque Free Bartop Burlesque Show by Vaudezilla, Thursdays in February at Blue Bayou, 3734 North Southport Avenue (you can catch a special appearance by me on February 18th). Enjoy authentic New Orleans cuisine and tasty $4 drink specials while sultry burlesque dancers titillate you. Show time starts promptly at 10:00pm.

7 comments

• Dudester
    15 years ago
    Reading my article "The Evolution of the Strip Club" best explains it, but a quick analogy-just as christianity is a sect of Judaism, strippers are a sect of Burlesque shows.

Burlesque shows first showed up just after 1900, and perhaps a few years before. Some burlesque dancers get nude, but they're moving around behind giant feathers and other props, so you don't get full nudity. Matter of fact, the only place where you can see burlesque dancers go full monty is at Les Girls in San Diego.

The best known burlesque act today is the Pussycat Dolls. They sing and dance and wear risque costumes, but the fact is that burlesque dancers are entertainers, and strippers are sex industry workers. Some strippers think of themselves as tease (like burlesque dancers) but the money makers in strip clubs are those who lapdance for fun and/or profit.

Two movies you might want to see, if you're into the history aspect, is "Lady of Burlesque", starring Barbara Stanwyck and "Mrs. Henderson Presents", which has an all star cast, including Bob Hoskins and Dame Judi Dench.
  • Clubber
    15 years ago
    ss1,

I would agree with the lady. Even in clubs, I'd much rather see the dancer on stage remove clothing in a sensual manner, rather then just stand there and strip down. The end results are the same, but like eating, there are better ways to get your needed nutrition, Micky D's or a nice filet mignon.
  • Book Guy
    15 years ago
    I'd rather see her do ANYTHING in a sensual manner than in a lackadaisical or disinterested manner. In fact, it's entirely possible that it would be better that she be sensual than naked, sometimes.
  • Clubber
    15 years ago
    BG,

Correct. I always felt leaving a bit to the imagination is better. If you ever need proof, observe when a hot female customer in a club and most all guys are watching her and ignoring the nude dancer on stage.
  • gk
    15 years ago
    Taking clothes off can be very sensual. Some dancers understand this, some don't. Not so much for the tease, which I don't like, but maybe more for the voyeurism. I've always thought it would be fun to require all of them to put their makeup on at the start of their shift but keep their street clothes on, then take them off on stage during their first set and then get into their dance costumes--onstage. Done the right way it could be fun, but also challenging to the girls. Some are capable of handling this performance challenge, some not.

Burlesque is burlesaque. Strip clubs are strip clubs. But then there's that Darwinian factor, analogous maybe to a dinosaurs and birds.

Even tough disrobing can be sensual, I like the interaction of strip clubs. But I wouldn't call dancers sex workers as a blanket description. They are still entertainers in general. And that's usually what many clubs call them, right?
  • shadowcat
    15 years ago
    The last time I saw true Burlesque was back in 1963 at a club on Burboun St in New Orleans. It was expensive and boring. I'll take the modern strip clubs any day.
  • gatorfan
    15 years ago
    Burlesque is usually a show, not really the same.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion