tuscl

Spike TV Blue Mountain State SC episode

Spike TV has a new show called Blue Mountain State that is a goofy, American Pie style cable comedy about a small college football team and its rowdy adventures (many of them of a sexual nature). Last week's episode had the boys in a strip club, where the more experienced one had 3 rules: 1) don't touch, 2) don't fall in love, and 3) don't lend you buddy money for lap dances. After full night of fairly realistic decadence involving multiple dances, shots, and trips to VIP, the boys stumble out only to discover that the star running back has lost the ring his girlfriend had given him, apparently inside a stripper (thus violating rule #1 but confirming that even in fictional SC world, extras can be had for a price). The usual sitcom hijinks ensued, including the a predicatable moment where the hot female foreign exchange student with the eastern European accent ends up happily becoming a stripper (stage name Bosnia). Is this yet another sign of strip clubs entering the mainstream (aka Marisa Tomea's stripper-with-a-heart in The Wrestler)or does the sophomoric level of cable comedy programming make it a moot point? After all, Al Bundy and his buddies made regular visits to the "Nudie Bar" in Married with Children long before the current trendiness of gentlemen's club culture.

4 comments

• shadowcat
    15 years ago
    I agree that strip clubs have become mainstream. I have seen so many movies with strip clubs scenes in them and they have frequently been mentioned on the news but until LE stops fucking with them they cannot become socially acceptable.
  • CTQWERTY
    15 years ago
    Admittedly, I watched it. I liked the running gag of the meat head guy walking into the club and acknowledging every dancer by her fake name with no followup/depth to the conversation and without meat head missing a beat. You get the msg meat head frequents the establishment more than a college classroom.

That said, the premiere episode, where the "booster" girls show up the athletes' rooms to "inspire morale" showcases some pretty hot young things. Best part was the backup QB having a 3-way while nerdy-mascot-wannabe spied, proceded to beging jerking off, and then announces to the other 3 (who didn't know he had snuck in the room), "First one finished!"
  • CTQWERTY
    15 years ago
    By the way, with regard to "Married with Children", hard to believe Fox hasn't brought it back as a part-time show. They could film 4 episodes for the fall and 4 for the spring and then let everyone spend the rest of the time pursuing their own projects. That way they don't have to stretch for script material for a full season, and Christina Applegate doesn't complain about being solely relegated to a "dumb blonde" role.
  • gk
    15 years ago
    Yep, it's another sign that the media culture is at least trying to make them mainstream. But I agree that until LE leaves them alone, they never will totally be mainstream. Personally, I prefer they remain somewhat on the edge of mainstream. I would define the best scenario like this: clubs the way we like them should be legal, but not necessarily accepted unanimously across the culture. That way there's still the element of something edgy about them. I like that.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion