tuscl

When something bad turns into something good....

skibum609
Massachusetts
My cousin took his wife and family to see his favorite team, the Boston Red Sox, play their hated rivals, the New York Yankees, in the real Yankee Stadium. It was fall, and a sunny day, but soon it turned colder, and it began to rain. It rained and rained and rained, but they stayed. My cousin wouldn't leave a Red Sox game he told his wife, unless I have a heart attack...a big one. More than 2 hours later, cold, wet, and miserable, the four of them left, because they finally postponed the game.

The next day, after a crappy, angry, restless sleep, she slept through her alarm and instead of exiting the subway at her usual time of 8:00 a.m., she exited at 8:45 a.m. As she stared forlornly at her office, she wished she had stayed home and became angry at her Husband making the family sit in the rain for over 2 useless hours, on September 10. Suddenly, as she looked at her office, American Airlines Flight 11 appeared, striking the WTC, and killing every one of her co-workers who had showed up on time. She suddenly realized that if her crappy Husband hadn't made them sit in the rain, she would have been on time and while she had already survived the first WTC bombing, she would not have survived this and she would now be dead with all of her co-workers. They never made up the cancelled game, but this Thanksgiving we will celebrate 13 years of feeling differently about the rain, rainouts and will remember that sometimes something bad will actually turn out to be something good.

12 comments

• skibum609
    20 days ago
    23 says mr. math.
  • twentyfive
    20 days ago
    I lost one of my oldest and dearest, friends, on that horrific day, we were in grade school together, he worked at Cantor, Fitzgerald, his wife told me he went in early for a meeting on that horrific morning. She never heard from him again, he left 3 young children, it was a sad time for those of us who lived close to NYC.
  • Puddy Tat
    20 days ago
    Something like that happened to me. I was working on a college campus, decided to leave work 2 hours early, stop by the business school and grab a copy of the Wall Street Journal.

That day an armed man came in exactly 2 hours later and shot a guy right where they kept the newspapers, and then took hostages. If I didn't get fucking lazy and leave work early, that might have been me.

Eerie how that happens. I also knew someone who was on the tarmac for a flight to Newark on 9/11 when they had a "national security related air traffic incident."
  • Puddy Tat
    20 days ago
    @25 - a cousin's brother in law also worked for Cantor Fitzgerald and lost his life that day.

3 years later I worked right across the street from the WTC, in a building that was used as a makeshift morgue.

We were all New Yorkers that day.
  • rickmacrodong
    20 days ago
    Puddy im curious what you think of the dancing israelis and also the fact Netanyahu went around publicly and gleefully gloating about how 9/11 helped Israel greatly? Those specific events aren’t conspiracy or speculation, but they do fuel conspiracies, in addition to something related to the insurance policy of the buildings which i can’t remember now…
    Also, what about the proposed ground zero mosque?

I would say stuff like that, shows that there are limits to freedom of religion just like there are limits to freedom of speech.
  • rattdog
    20 days ago
    well something bad on that morning was supposed to have happened that could have possibly "foiled" the unfortunate events of that tragic day.

monday my boss chews me out for being late. monday night i watch the tv to see the weather report and there's a storm heading towards nyc from fla. tuesday morning i totally forgot about the weather report and yep was going to be late again and more than likely going to get canned. turned out that storm took a sharp right turn away from nyc that tragic morning. the sun was out that morning.

the tragedy actually saved my ass from getting axed from that shitty crummy job. but after running across some commentary about that storm a couple of years ago just made me wonder. don't most storms generally head a straight path and almost never make sharp 90 degree detours?

go to youtube and look for the weather news the day before. what may you conclude?
  • Puddy Tat
    20 days ago
    @rmd - conspiracy theories are just that.

I don't see how not having a mosque there violates freedom of religion.
  • TheeOSU
    20 days ago
    ^
    I don't think it's uncommon for storms that meet a powerful area of high pressure to have their paths diverted.
  • rickdugan
    20 days ago
    I was in Midtown attending a breakfast seminar hosted by one of the Big 4 accounting firms. This firm's Manhattan office was located in the World Trade Center. They received a call and abruptly cancelled the event.

I can only imagine how they felt. They were not in their offices by a sheer stroke of luck. For that matter, if they had decided to hold the event if their event facilities in the WTC, the audience might have been there too.
  • ATACdawg
    19 days ago
    One f my friends was in the subway station under Tower 2 when it was struck; he was able to exit and start the long trek to Brooklyn.

Another friend was on the steps up to the Pentagon when that plane struck. Luckily, he was opposite from where the plane struck.

One more friend, an architect and former paratrooper,was doing his work designing reserve centers when the plane hit. If his office hadn't been moved due to the construction being done, his office would have been directly in the path.

Good things indeed!
  • skibum609
    19 days ago
    Whenever I see/hear people claim all the conspiracy bullshit, such as a plane didn't hit the pentagon, I think of my brother-in-law, my always late for everything (just like me), sitting in his car, late for work again and watching the plane hit where he worked, albeit far from his office. 9/11 really hits hard around here. You can feel it. On the West Coast, it's just another day.
  • Puddy Tat
    19 days ago
    ^ My belief in conspiracy theories are that three men can keep a secret if two are dead.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion