tuscl

Problems at the border

Thursday, February 15, 2024 2:08 AM
So I am curious if any of you have had issues walking back into San Diego. Last time I went down BP asked what I was doing in TJ and I told him I was there to meet up with a friend and he seemed overly suspicious. I was a little worried there for a bit that they may want to give me a pat down and cause me some issues. Obviously I didn’t have anything on me to cause issues, but overall it made me hesitant to go back. Have any of you had any issues recently or in the past?

25 comments

• funonthaside
    4 months ago
    Should have just said to go to a club/bar. "Visiting a friend sounds vague and suspicious". Never lie to a border agent. They are trained to weed out mistruths. "Banging a stripper", while you may appear nervous to admit the truth, still likely yields less noticeable nervousness than telling lie of "visiting a friend". Of course, if you know the stripper and consider her a friend, it's not really a lie. It seems, though, that you were merely questioned, and then given clearance to pass, so he was just processing your response and didn't have reason to push further. Irony is that people are passing illegally daily, yet someone goes to TJ to get some pussy (legally), and is afraid.
  • funonthaside
    4 months ago
    I've crossed borders many times. Agents are rarely cordial and welcoming. It's just kaftcif the experience. They are trained to be diligent and cynical.
  • TJVisitor23
    4 months ago
    I’ve gotten that before. I don’t have nothing on me so I don’t give a hoot. The last trip the guy asked several questions seeming suspicious of all my answers. When he asked why I wasn’t wearing a coat? I told him because it’s not cold. He didn’t like that either and gave me a long look up and down then passed me through. As long as you’re good, you’re good don’t worry about it.
  • TJVisitor23
    4 months ago
    I did have one agent straight up ask me how the HK was? I just laughed and said great! And he sent me on my way.
  • justinyoo
    4 months ago
    This exact thing was on my mind because I was curious what they could ask and what I need or how to answer. Last year it got uncomfortable because the agent's job younger was at a newer built In and Out in my area that I live and he was wanting me to describe the area with questions which is fine because if I were lying, he would know. I answered them exactly. Then he kept on about my "vacation" stay and asked if I was married (which I wonder why I need to answer) with a horrible attitude and then asked what was in my backpack. I said just papers and chargers and stuff and then he "threatened" to look through it. I just handed him the bag and now a bit frustrated, "I said go ahead" and then he said,"you could go". I actually left angry because I treated him with respect and was cordial until the end. I just went back this week and this was the first time I used Pedwest (twice) and both times, it was a simple question "where you going?" and handed me the ID, the other was actual two easy questions, "what were you doing in TJ (I say vacation)" and where you live? Then agent gave me back ID. It could be small sample size but my two times going through Pedwest was so much better (will describe in TR).
  • justinyoo
    4 months ago
    Oh and on this trip, I actually went to my Sentri appointment kind of regretting thinking that I was going to have to deal with the same attitude for a longer time but that was so NOT the case. The agent was nice and helpful and the Sentri interview was so easy (like standing at a window at DMV). It was just a few basic questions (like have I ever been convicted or been in jail, confirmed who lived with me at home, etc) and then when he did ask why I wanted the Sentri, he prefaced it with "please don't worry and read into the question" before asking. That was it. I'll look to see if there is Sentri thread already with the information, if not I will post my experience.
  • azfriole
    4 months ago
    The visiting a friend, probably was to vague of an answer. I always tell them I was at the bars/clubs with friends. They usually just let me pass after that. I had one ask me was it worth it traveling from Arizona? I said yea, $60 RT airfare. He said why don't I go to Nogales? I said Nogales? Nogales is a dump. He laughed and said your right. Let me through. Last time the agent told me after I mentioned to the clubs, " Piece of advise, delete the pictures. Someone always finds a way to hack and you probably don't want them getting out there" ... I laughed and walked on through.
  • CJKent_band
    4 months ago
    @BigBadWolfe I will play along and comment on your discussion. Q: Have any of you had any issues recently or in the past? (Problems At The Border) any of you have had issues walking back into San Diego A: Who hasn’t have any issues/problems? The undeniable reality is that people of color, black, brown, yellow and red are treated less fairly than whites in dealing with the border agents, the police and by the American government system as a whole It however also depends on who is at the border, if you end up with a border agent who is having a bad day or if he is racist and you are not white. “It's Easier to Get Into Mexico Than Costco but coming back is not”: Jimmy O. Yang [view link] Keep in mind the Russian proverb: “People greet you according to the way you dress and say goodbay according to the way you behave" In my humble opinion and limited experience, If you dress like a gentleman and behave like a gentleman chances are that you will be treated like a gentleman. I have never had and issues/problems of course I always use my American passport coming back into the country, and when I visit other countries I use my passport of the Fatherland or say I am Canadian, depending on the country/place I am visiting. In any case I always prepare for the worst and hope for the best and don’t do anything that could cause a negative reaction from the person I am dealing with at the border. With the right mindset and realistic expectations, most American heterosexual men will have a good time at Hong Kong… So you can go and enjoy a couple of weeks at the Happiest Place on Earth as long as you go with the right mindset and are patient and willing to do whatever is necessary to stay out of trouble. [view link] Just remember be careful out there, wherever you decide to go and do. And remember Pics and Vids or it didn’t happen. :D
  • twentyfive
    4 months ago
    ^ you’re full of shit, where are your pics or videos to prove any of your made up claims. In your own words pics and videos or it never happened
  • funonthaside
    4 months ago
    azfriole's encounter is an example of why it's silly to be vague or attempt to mislead an agent after visiting the TJ clubs. There is nothing illegal about banging bargirls in TJ. Why lie/mislead? Particularly if you're returning alone, they have a rather good idea why you were there, at least in hours outside of normal working/commute times. Lest you get any ideas about saying you were on a business trip, be aware they may ask where you work, where is office/site visited/etc. Be honest.
  • funonthaside
    4 months ago
    Of course, some can be complete douches, so I understand the intimidation factor. Once, I said the purpose of my trip aboard was to "visit one of sites of my company". His response was "Do you own the company?". "No, sir". "Then don't say 'my company'...do you see how a small change in wording makes a big difference?" He let me through, but he felt the need to make a point. In another instance, one asked why I flew through XXX airport. I said I prefer XXX airline. "Wow.....not many people actually admit to liking that airline...most think it suck". So, some can be more casual and even a bit comical. For the TJ crossing, it has my experience that the older and male an agent, the more friendly they are. Younger males are a bit tougher, with the younger females being the most intense.
  • CJKent_band
    4 months ago
    ^ ^ ^ So ridiculous, @twentyfive must work on his Anger Management Problem, then go to a good old fashioned movie with a friend. Chill @twentyfive Chill! ~ Greta Tintin Eleonora Ernman Thunberg ~ Born: 3rd Januaryk 2003 , Sweden ~ Occupation: Student, environmental activist ~ Author of some of the most liked tweets in history
  • twentyfive
    4 months ago
    ^ You’re not right in the head dopey, you’re always looking for pics and vid’s but you never offer any of your own, Using your own posts define you as a liar, and a loser
  • OPIllini96
    4 months ago
    C’mon CJ and twentyfive, please take your dispute somewhere else and stop hijacking this thread. To BigBadWolfe, I’ve never had any issues crossing back in the U.S. I just tell them I was on vacation, and no problem whatsoever.
  • twentyfive
    4 months ago
    ^ I’m not hijacking your thread, I merely asked the poster for the same thing he asks everyone for, after all he came on here with his attitude and sarcastic remarks. The least he should be able to do is provide some proof of his expertise not his sarcastic remarks like he’s doing everyone a favor by playing along, then spouting his delusional nonsense about life being a mob movie and we all need to listen to his repeated comments from a cut and paste file. Sorry if I offended you but man he’ is offensive intentionally
  • CJKent_band
    4 months ago
    @OPIllini96 and @twentyfive Remember tuscl’s Privacy Policy Terms & Conditions All contents should be considered a work of fiction. © 1993-2024 the ultimate strip club list :D
  • PutaTester
    4 months ago
    I usually say, “Drinking with friends.” Since I often TLN that always includes dinner and drinks, it is an accurate response.” Once I was given some serious grief. After the X-ray, two agents said, “You carry a lot of medications.” I replied, When you get to be my age, you young men will be carrying a lot of medications too.” All my medications were less than a 30-day supply. All were in my name and in the original USA prescription containers. They made me wait while they took them and looked them up. After they found out that all of the prescriptions were valid, they proceeded to rifle the rest of the contents of my backpack. I had been in Tijuana for four days, so it was very full. Satisfied, they left everything strewn across the table. Almost missed my flight. Bottom line, if you are not doing anything wrong, don’t sweat it. They might have thought that my answer was a little flip, but I am really old. Also, you know that they have a complete record of you and your travels in front of them, so they know what the answers are before they ask the questions.
  • funonthaside
    4 months ago
    They ask questions to observe you as you respond, rather to actually hear the words you speak.
  • JamesSD
    4 months ago
    They mostly care about drugs
  • EastCoaster
    4 months ago
    I've crossed the border at PedEast many times, and when entering the U.S., I'm usually asked if I'm bringing anything back with me. My answer is always no, but based on where I've been and what I've been doing, my first thought is, "God, I hope not."
  • Hollywood
    4 months ago
    I just tell them Dinner and Drinks and keep it moving
  • TJVisitor23
    4 months ago
    When I came through this last time I just told the agent straight up that I went to HK. She replied “you and every other single guy, have a nice day” and sent me in my way.
  • chugwa
    4 months ago
    "Seeing my girlfriends"
  • HODLtillSheWaddles
    4 months ago
    I used to tell them "I went to see a girl". No lies there...was always sent on my way. Only time I was sent to secondary was when I forgot my passport at home and may have given a little attitude....I was tired and a bit drunk....the entitled American attitude came out a bit.
  • blahblahblahs
    4 months ago
    Spinning this discussion a different way, what do you say when crossing into Canada to visit a club? Normally I have another reason for my visit, which I use. However, a midnight trip to Chez Diane would be hard to pair with anything normie.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion