tuscl
Calle Coahuila 2009 Zona Nte., Tijuana, B.C. Mexico

Cartels try to assassinate Hong Kong club owner

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb
Friday, July 14, 2023 3:56 AM
SAN DIEGO — Cartels operating in Tijuana have shifted their focus recently, aiming to take control of new operations.

In recent years, cartels in Mexico have fought over the drug trade, the avocado industry and fishing rights, and now they are struggling for control of strip clubs, brothels and bars in Tijuana’s Zona Norte, also known as the “tolerance zone,” according to sources within the Baja California State Attorney General’s Office.

Punto Norte, a news publication in Baja California, is reporting that the owner of the Hong Kong Gentleman’s Club and hotel, a man with the last name of Brizuela, was the target of an assassination attempt Tuesday night.

Brizuela is also said to be the affiliated with other businesses involved with prostitution.

The confrontation was confirmed by Tijuana Police, who said gunmen showed up at Brizuela’s house, located in a posh Tijuana neighborhood, and got into a shootout with his bodyguards.

Punto Norte’s investigation goes on to say one of Brizuela’s business partners was assaulted and robbed late last month.

His family reportedly told police that members of Mexico’s National Guard forced their way into the house and went on to steal thousands of dollars in cash, cell phones and other valuables from a safe.

Baja California Attorney General’s Office confirmed the family filed a report about the break in, but the office refused to release any more information.

A source within that same office told Border Report that in recent months “gangs affiliated with cartels have been threatening and extorting club owners.”

The same source said it appears different crime organizations are trying to “establish control of this plaza.”

In the underworld, a plaza is a geographic location used to smuggle drugs or operate an illicit trade, and anyone wanting to run a business in this area must pay a fee to stay in operation.

16 comments

• Muddy
    a year ago
    TJ’s craziness aka most dangerous advanced city in the WORLD just ain’t worth the cheap pussy to me.
  • drewcareypnw
    a year ago
    Fuuuuuuuck that shit
  • twentyfive
    a year ago
    This isn’t new, but the fact that it’s becoming more blatant doesn’t make it an ideal destination any more. If this continues tourism will shift away from the Zona and find another destination for tourists.
  • gammanu95
    a year ago
    I would think that if they are going after his home, then his businesses are not off-limits, either, I might recommend the TJ mongers avoid HK for now.
  • CJKent_band
    a year ago
    "The more morals and righteousness you want to show on the outside, the more hell and demons you have inside"

~ Sigmund Freud
  • mark94
    a year ago
    This was inevitable. Businesses making tons of cash in an area controlled by the cartels.
  • mark94
    a year ago
    If I owned one of these clubs, I’d move my operations to Cabo, an area less involved with cartels.
  • TheeOSU
    a year ago
    '"The more morals and righteousness you want to show on the outside, the more hell and demons you have inside"

~ Sigmund Freud'

Freud would have his premier learning experience analyzing a self righteous demon filled homo like you cj! Lol
  • RonJax2
    a year ago
    > I might recommend the TJ mongers avoid HK for now.

Yikes. I’ve got tickets booked and a reservation already at Cascadas for the end of this month.

I suppose I will TOFTT and report back on the safety implications of this news.
  • EastCoaster
    a year ago
    I suspect that cartel thugs might not be the sharpest knives in the drawer, but I would think they know they need La Zona Norte to remain safe enough for the tourists to come and keep the businesses afloat. Right now I'll bet it safer than the "posh Tijuana neighborhood" where the current HK owner lives and was the target of an assassination attempt.
  • craigers691
    a year ago
    This is one of the dangers of a single club (HK) and a single owner growing too big. I think things are better for everyone if there is healthy competition with a handful of other vibrant clubs. That's why I plan to focus on CC for my next visit (assuming that is completely unaffiliated with HK).
  • wld4tatas
    a year ago
    Never been to Tijuana, though I know it's popular with some guys. I always wondered if it was because it was actually really good (affordable with lots of 8s and 9s), or just some people are not aware of what other options are possible in other countries.
  • mark94
    a year ago
    The Sopranos showed us the depth of thought used by organized crime:

“ Fuck you. Give me Money”
  • Jascoi
    a year ago
    I'm going again Monday to HK. probably three or four nights. but as always I check out other clubs in the zone too.
  • Jascoi
    a year ago
    Hong Kong has the best selection by far!
  • ilbbaicnl
    a year ago
    I use to go to a club that was owned by some national company, but had been previously run by the Mafia through a front man. The dancers who had been there for a while said that management had been much more fair and supportive under the Mafia.

The narcos in Mexico are like the US Mafia. They have many chances to indulge their sadism in the course of their business. They have no reason to be gratuitously violent, when it doesn't serve a money-making purpose. I can't see how it would serve their interests to harm visitors to the red light district. Especially if they want to take control of it. Maybe it would actually be better for the BGs. When the only lotteries in the US were illegal ones, the Mafia generally gave back more of the revenue in prizes than state-run lotteries do.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion