tuscl

It’s about fucking time

twentyfive
Living well and enjoying my retirement
Wednesday, May 3, 2023 12:47 PM
Finally one of my favorite performers of all time, Willy Nelson, is finally getting inducted into the Rock and Roll HOF Considering his 90th birthday is coming this year it’s long overdue and we’ll deserved

14 comments

• Mate27
    a year ago
    Yes, and now he has joined my all time favorite Waylon Jennings entered into the Hall back in 2017. I’ve met Jennings family. Waylon got his start in the rural areas of AZ and I’ve visited many of the honky tonks he used to play at in his late teens. These two together define a genre of music that captured crossover likeness, rock/rhythm/folk. Western swing it was called. I call it great music!
  • motorhead
    a year ago
    I’m surprised he made it to 90 Well done and well deserved It’s probably unfortunate, but what I remember most are his legal battles with the IRS. I think he owed tens of millions of dollars Holy crap how do you get that far underwater to the government
  • EastCoaster
    a year ago
    I love Willie -- always have -- but I was surprised that he's being honored, apparently, for his contributions to rock and roll. What among his voluminous catalog of great music have I missed that fits that genre? Is it that he wrote "Night Life" which was a big hit for BB King and recorded by a number of others across multiple genres? It's got to be more than just that, right?
  • Cashman1234
    a year ago
    I’m surprised it’s taken so long. I simply expected Willie was already part of the hall of fame. It is long overdue!
  • shadowcat
    a year ago
    I thought he was most famous for smoking weed and his music was more country than anything else. None the less I enjoyed him.
  • motorhead
    a year ago
    I don’t mind him being elected - I certainly have enjoyed much of his music. But the R & R HOF certainly has a loose criteria for election. They don’t need to elect someone every year - make it like Cooperstown where it’s actually tough to get in Too much pop and Hip Hop in recent years George Michael? I might throw up
  • datinman
    a year ago
    Dolly and Willie in the R & R Hall of Fame? They should nominate Rush to the Country Music Hall of Fame. I mean, Canada is a Country right?
  • Pussylicker2
    a year ago
    I've been a fan of Willy's for 40 years. I've just started listening to his autobiography "it's a long story". I'm not sure I'll be able to finish it. He said he owed the irs 32 million dollars, he said he owned 2 or 3 ranches, a golf course, some beach property, lots of cars and trucks. He compared himself to joe louis (irs wise). He said he had invested in some kind of tax shelter, but it wasn't really legit. Then he whined about how millionaires are bad. Hey willie, what about paying your fair share? Then he said how great the 70s were and how bad the 80s were. What about Vietnam, watergate, gas lines, unemployment, interest rates? He said jimmy carter was his buddy. And "farm aid"? How many farmers are millionaires, how easy is it for a farmer to not pay income tax? Sorry willie.
  • whodey
    a year ago
    I love listening to Willie but they really need to rename that place in Cleveland. It hasn't been the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in a long time now. Just call it the Music Hall of Fame and then some of the recent entrants would be more appropriate. Willie Nelson and Dolly Parton are about as Rock & Roll as Led Zepplin and Metallica are Country.
  • twentyfive
    a year ago
    I’ve seen a lot of comments and I think that rock has a lot of country elements, originally it was rock a billy, like Elvis and soul like B. B. King, and gospel influences along with hyper pop or soul like Little Richard and Jerry Lee Lewis, stole some of the phrasing like Bob Dylan, then it’s sort of become a big ole gumbo, I think of rock and roll as an American art form, a melting pot if you will.
  • Specialj
    a year ago
    “Guess how much condoms cost when I was young?” Hell I don’t know, we didn’t use ‘em. - Willie Nelson
  • snoozeuloose4
    a year ago
    I am sure he has a long list of real good reasons..... For all the things he's done!
  • Muddy
    a year ago
    That's cool for Willie. Talk about a guy you'd love to go drinking with. I wonder how much wild stuff he's been through.
  • gammanu95
    a year ago
    I'll comment where i want
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion