tuscl

I-80 Speed Trap

Tuesday, April 25, 2023 2:09 PM
PL's in NE Ohio will be $125 lighter if speeding through the tiny city of Girard. They got me at 78 in a 65 zone at mile 227. This is just before I-80 joins I-76 going west, northwest of Youngstown. The 'photo speed' camera is legal in Ohio if a Tropper sits in his car in the area to observe the violation. That could be as many as six LD's.

18 comments

• TheeOSU
    a year ago
    Down vote! How much exactly are lapdances?

BTW, pro tip, going 13mph over the limit does have consequences pretty much anywhere people drive.
  • rickdugan
    a year ago
    ===> "BTW, pro tip, going 13mph over the limit does have consequences pretty much anywhere people drive."

Not really. In a lot of places, very much including Florida, 13 miles over isn't sexy enough for police to bother. They know that, soon enough, somebody will blow by at 90+ and give them a ticket really worth writing.

Your OP's experience in Ohio sounds very much like mine when passing through parts of Virginia. Little local towns that are allowed to police and write tickets on their little pieces of major highways who decide to use it as a major source of revenue. At least once every couple of years I get nabbed in VA, lol. The last one was by a local police lieutenant who was manning the speed trap when I was passing through some little shit town on 81 that I can't even remember now. To actually have a lieutenant out there stopping people for 13 miles over shows how important that source of revenue is for the town.
  • knight_errant
    a year ago
    ^^^ This. Keep it to 9mph above the speed limit. And stop masturbating on the Interstate.
  • knight_errant
    a year ago
    Ugh. "This^^^" was for TheeOSU.
  • shailynn
    a year ago
    I travel this road all the time, like way too much, 76 and both 80. I once got busted by a freaking aircraft on the west side of the state on 80. I was going 92 a 70. I was scared to death with how many points and the fine, but it was $150. I was in a group of about 6 or 8 cars and we all were barreling through there. We all came up and saw 8 cop cars on the side of the road, I bet the majority of the people didn’t know what was going on but when I saw it I said “shit we all just got tracked by an airplane.” Since that day I do what is said below:

Now, when I’m on this turnpike I go no more than 74MPH. I often get passed like I’m standing still but I’ve also have seen way too many people get pulled over for going 75 over the years on this road. My record (from going from the PA/OH state line to Cleveland) for seeing cops running radar was 12 one time. 12 cops running radar on a (roughly) 100 mile stretch of road.

Now there’s several other places in the country where the speed limit will be 70 and you can do 85 and pass a whole gang of troopers and they won’t do anything, but you can’t do that on I80/76 in Ohio, a road leading to somewhere nobody really wants to be in to begin with.
  • twentyfive
    a year ago
    Many years ago when I was in my twenties, driving ny-fla on I95 it wasn’t a limited acces highway in those days, it was just a bunch of interconnected roads, near Waycross Ga. was a small bridge over a stream, and just past the top of that bridge on the down slope side of the bridge was a speed limit sign taking the road from 45mph to 15 mph in seconds. Just past the sign was a GA state trooper with a dozen or so vehicles pulled over and skid marks all over the road. I blew through that speed trap without stopping and the trooper was so busy writing tickets he didn’t even look up.
  • shailynn
    a year ago
    The infamous I95 aka cocaine alley.

• gammanu95
    a year ago
    Reject- need more details
    What were you driving?
    What did the cop look like?
    How much is gas?
    Where are you buying the lap dances at?
    How much is a lawyer to fight the ticket?
  • Techman
    a year ago
    My reputation for rejecting reviews has proceeded me.
    2019 Honda Civic
    Going too fast to see the cop.
    $3 something.
    "at" Concepts Lawrenceburg Ind, $20 on Tuesday, 2 for $50 on Wednesday with above average mileage.
    Hate lawyers.
  • Specialj
    a year ago
    I adhere to the no more than 5 mph over rule and unless you are in Boca Raton and get pulled by a rookie you will never have any issues
  • Jascoi
    a year ago
    I got a speeding ticket late last year on the PCH the west end of Malibu in a construction zone with no construction activity occurring. I was just driving along with the traffic at 62 mph and did not regard the 30 mile an hour construction zone sign. $648.00 fine. thanks LA sheriff dept.
  • idletraveler
    a year ago
    Maryland loves the speed camera tickets. I'm pretty sure that the tickets are civil fines and not traffic violations, and you just know some private camera contractor is skimming off every fine they issue. Many small towns have em installed on main streets near school zones, and they'll move them around a little bit just to throw off your memory.
    On I95 and I695 around Baltimore, If you see a porta-potty on the side of the highway, chances are good that there will be a speed camera hidden on the other side of it.
  • shailynn
    a year ago
    ^ another area I travel through a lot that is infamous for having “construction zones” with no construction actually going on.

There’s always been the joke “welcome to DC, that’ll be $124,” Because best believe if you’re an out of towner and drive more than 10 miles in that city you’re going to get nabbed by at least 1 traffic camera.
  • Papi_Chulo
    a year ago
    As others mentioned; there are small cities/towns that will reduce the speed limit on a road/freeway going past their city/town seemingly for no-reason other than to create speeders they can fine.

I recall years-ago one of the network evening news shows doing a critical segment of a small Midwestern town that had this practice and in-turn their speeding tickets were way above the avg for the area.

I'm sure there are many, usually smaller, municipalities, that are actively looking/hoping for speeders bc it's probably a major source of revenue for that area that may o/w have a suppre$$ed tax-base.

I recall when I drove backhome from Dallas to Miami that for w/e reason as soon as I crossed into FL (from Alabama I think) that I started seeing a lot of FL state troopers right past the FL border where I had rarely seen any police-activity b/f crossing into FL.
  • nicespice
    a year ago
    Since we are talking about interstates, I would like to give a moment of silence for the stretch of i10 around Kerville/Junction, which is northwest of San Antonio.

It used to be easy to drive 90mph on there and still be a slowpoke, but for whatever reason state troopers have actually been pulling people over, and see them doing that every time I’ve been that way over the last 2-3 years. 🎻
  • shadowcat
    a year ago
    Doraville GA was famous for that. Several law suits that were lost. But no reason to go there since the city shut down the only strip club, the popular Oasis Good time Emporium.
  • Muddy
    a year ago
    Damn Jascoi that is one crazy ticket
  • LapHunt
    a year ago
    Techman
    a month ago
    "My reputation for rejecting reviews has proceeded me."

The adage you are trying to reference is "My reputation has preceded me."

In addition to being a jackass with adjudicating reviews, you also appear to be a nitwit.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion