tuscl

Thanksgiving Miracle

twentyfive
Living well and enjoying my retirement
A man on a holiday cruise fell overboard and survived fifteen hours in the Gulf Of Mexico, I've been on many cruises over the years, even been on three cruises where someone went over board, never remember anyone surviving a fall overboard on a cruise ship, what an amazing stort.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/us-coast-guard…

12 comments

• gammanu95
    2 years ago
    Survived the fall and fifteen hours in the water. I wonder what swells and water temps were, as well as if he had any water survival training. Many people along the central Gulf Coast receive that training As part of their jobs. I did, and thankfully never needed it.
  • Heaven-sent
    2 years ago
    I’ve been on 2 cruises. I was never close to falling off or anyone else I saw that was anywhere close to falling overboard. This falling over board makes no sense to me. You probably need to break about 10 rules to fall off any ship. Let alone a cruise ship built for the stupid general public. So if you fall off it’s your fault.
  • twentyfive
    2 years ago
    ^ Well it is said, God protects drunks and fools !
  • Thick-5-Incher
    2 years ago
    I still can't figure out why cruise ships don't have safety netting all around the ship. People do get drunk and fall over, but a net would catch them.
  • motorhead
    2 years ago
    Sometimes you do you have to legislate against stupidity

Baseball was played for over 120 years without the need for netting until stupid people found cell phones more interesting than the great game
  • twentyfive
    2 years ago
    ^ If my memory is correct less than 275 people have gone overboard since 2000, that is a statistically insignificant number when you consider there have been over 20 million people whom have cruised in that same period of time. I have been on more cruises than I can remember at least 15 or 20 in that same amount of time, I don't believe that it is likely that anyone could actually fall overboard, the rails on all ships are too high, my guess that the majority of the overboards have been intentional, maybe suicide attempts, or idiots actually climbing the rails maybe alcohol or other substance inspired. I can't imagine any way legislation would do very much .
  • twentyfive
    2 years ago
    @Motorhead
    Netting has been used to protect spectators since 1879, it has expanded over the years but it's first uses were in Missouri in 1879, and has been established as a baseball rule since 1913.
    I know I have too much time on my hands, but I was a baseball fanatic when I was a kid, made many trips to Cooperstown and read every baseball encyclopedia and statistic literature I could get my hands on
    LOL
  • doctorevil
    2 years ago
    That was one very lucky dumbass.
  • motorhead
    2 years ago
    @25
    I think you are 100% correct about the cruise ships

They are either intentional in some cases or some drunken person doing stupid things. I don’t think they just happen by “accident”

Interesting facts about netting. I love baseball and I’m not against netting down the lines, my biggest complain is the rich are the rich dudes who buy up expensive seats then spend the entire game with their noses buried in their phones.
  • Thick-5-Incher
    2 years ago
    It's off-topic, but I noticed that cruise ship lifeboats don't have lavatories? So while 50 people are crammed in like sardines, the only way to evacuate the bladders and bowels is to pass around a bucket? Seems very awkward.
  • Lone_Wolf
    2 years ago
    Seems kind of sketchy. I'll be interested in hearing the details of how he fell off the ship then managed to survive 15 hours. Sketch AF.
  • misterorange
    2 years ago
    @ 2-inch-dick
    "I still can't figure out why cruise ships don't have safety netting all around the ship. People do get drunk and fall over, but a net would catch them."

Are you kidding me? By that reasoning, they should put nets around every floor of every high-rise apartment building in existence. Maybe they should also put them on natural wonders of the world like the Grand Canyon and Niagara Falls, you stupid fucking dipshit. And now you want lavatories on life boats? Perhaps they should put a full bar and dance floor on them also. Oh, and slot machines.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion