tuscl

Radio shows you listened/listen too

Thursday, August 18, 2022 9:38 PM
I notice less and less I’m hitting that AM dial *que video killed the radio star* and now aside from baseball on the radio I don’t really listen all that much anymore. What are some stuff no matter how obscure you were tuning into? For me it was… Don Imus back in the day and now Bernie and Sid I’ll still tune into. Mike and The Mad Dog- Really popular sports radio show in the NY/NJ/CT area. One guy was an ego maniac and one guy was a lunatic but they knew there shit and it was really the best sports show all time. Those guys have been national personalities at times so maybe you guys have heard of them. They broke up in 2008 to their own thing. Howard stern- Old school Howard stern (Billy West days awesome) and Artie Lange days were good too. Sterns a lot different now though and I don’t listen anymore. Opie and Anthony-I still to this day listen to old clips. Patrice O’Neal going at it with Nick Depaolo. As unfiltered guy BS talk as your ever gonna find in the media. Just brought in great stand ups and let it go. How about y’all

30 comments

• TheeOSU
    2 years ago
    I'm often on the road weekends so in that situation during football season I listen to Buckeye and Browns games while driving. I started listening to Rush after clinton was elected, once again while on the road but stopped a few years before he died. Now when driving I mainly listen to a few different rock stations. Late at night I often listen to Coast to Coast but often fall asleep because I usually have to get up early.
  • san_jose_guy
    2 years ago
    I really haven't listed to broadcast radio in decades. I think while driving would be a time one would want to listen. But in rural places often hard to get good reception of find good stations. Recorded audio would be better. SJG In My Dreams [view link] Newshour [view link]
  • Goodclubrep
    2 years ago
    Joe Pine in the 60's along with The Breakfast Club out of Chicago. Clive Clifford on KAAY Little Rock, first AOR I ever experienced. Wolfman Jack, Casey Cassem, Early Imus when he was in California. Dr. Demento! Stern as much as I could take. The Motivational Radio Network in the 80's.
  • TheeOSU
    2 years ago
    ^ Translation: I don't have a radio because I don't have the money to buy one and I never learned to drive but that's OK because I surely can't afford a car, not even a fiat.
  • TheeOSU
    2 years ago
    ^ Previous post was re: the creepo from san jose.
  • twentyfive
    2 years ago
    Years ago the popular radio show was Long John Knebel w/ Candy Jones overnight and I remember Larry King before he had a TV show on CNN
  • san_jose_guy
    2 years ago
    Candy Jones, Mind-Control Claims [view link] SJG
  • skibum609
    2 years ago
    Felger and Mazz 98.5 Sports Talk Radio
  • Studme53
    2 years ago
    I’m old but even I know “radio shows” are ancient history. The are some great podcasts. I like Adam Corolla and Joe Rohan. If not podcast then music on Pandora. I rarely even listen to “radio”.
  • san_jose_guy
    2 years ago
    ^ got a link? SJG In My Dreams [view link] [view link]
  • crosscheck
    2 years ago
    I generally listen to 98.5 The Sports Hub in Boston if I’m in the car.
  • Muddy
    2 years ago
    Yeah I forgot to mention in the OP I’ve mostly switched over to podcasts. Most of the radio is trash.
  • shailynn
    2 years ago
    Howard Stern If I’m traveling at night during football/basketball season always listen to a college game. If Howard is boring (which is often nowadays) I will listen to various stations on XM or sometimes Raw Dog which is a comedy channel. I usually get my news from reading - not TV or radio.
  • Cashman1234
    2 years ago
    I used to enjoy Opie and Anthony - as they had several comedians who I enjoyed - on the show. I was a fan of Jimmy Norton, and I am always surprised to see Jimmy on the Gutfeld show! Howard Stern was edgy and funny - and a very good interviewer - back in the day. I don’t listen much anymore.
  • Pussylicker2
    2 years ago
    I used to listen to Bruce Williams. He was a call in show where people would ask for advice, usually financial or legal. After some time I could anticipate what Bruce would say. He'd often say to get a lawyer.
  • RTP
    2 years ago
    I listen and listened to lots of radio shows. Imus, Stern, more sports talk shows than I can count, and my favorite was always Paul Harvey.
  • misterorange
    2 years ago
    Carol Miller on WPLJ in New York back in the late 70s / early 80s. As a kid I always listened to her radio show, but after meeting her briefly at some music event (I was about 12) she instantly replaced Ms. Conners (my middle school Art teacher) as the woman I was certain I'd marry someday. Lol. She's over 70 now, but her voice sounds the same so in my mind she's still that sexy little 20-something.
  • Jascoi
    2 years ago
    Casey Kasem... America’s top 40 ? Still enjoy listening to the old re- broadcasts of it on a FM station in southern California. 99.9 kola.
  • twentyfive
    2 years ago
    I liked the Wolfman, and Cousun Brucie was originally one of the Good Guys on Wabc radio.
  • yahtzee74
    2 years ago
    As a teen in the 80s it was The Greaseman on DC/101 - he took over there after 101 fired Howard Stern. His show was mostly sex oriented consisting of sex jokes and people calling in and telling wild sex stories. Though he still played music and it wasn't an all-talk show.
  • drewcareypnw
    2 years ago
    As you all may suspect, this lib listens to NPR on the daily. There are two NPR stations in Seattle (of course). One is 94.9 KUOW, which is all news all day and has a national tone. The other is 88.5 KNKX, which serves a lot of little towns around washington and has a few NPR news hours throughout the day, plus a Jazz/Blues format the rest of the time. It also has a corny local news focus, which is somehow comforting to me. Either option goes well with the required daily dose of avocado toast and free range organic coffee, but I prefer KNKX. I also have Sirius XM in my car, and love the BB King Blues Channel, esp when they are doing the really old fashioned stuff. They have a punk show on XM too, but it's all the most basic bro stuff so I don't usually stay there too long... how much green day followed by rancid followed by social distortion can you take?
  • drewcareypnw
    2 years ago
    How could I forget classic KING 98.1's morning show, I wake up to this every weekday morning. Their dorky "morning shot of musical espresso" bit where they play some sounds from a coffee shop and then hit you with some frenetic classical a-la Flight of the Bumblebee before retuning to soothing low intensity morning tunes always cracks me up!
  • Warrior15
    2 years ago
    I can't believe that no one has mentioned Rush Limbaugh. He was great in the early years.
  • misterorange
    2 years ago
    ^^ Yup. Still was great right up until the end.
  • mark94
    2 years ago
    Rush, Howard Stern, Terry Wogan, Don Imus
  • san_jose_guy
    2 years ago
    KFJC Wave of the West [view link] SJG "Jane" by Jefferson Starship METAL COVER Feat. Type O Negative + Lucifer + The Hellacopters and More [view link]
  • Tetradon
    2 years ago
    @crosscheck and @skibum +1 for 98.5 the Sports Hub. It's that or silence for me.
  • Cashman1234
    2 years ago
    misterorange - thanks for those memories of Carol Miller! Her voice was great. Back in those days - it was rare to put a face to a voice - so you were a lucky young guy!
  • TheeOSU
    2 years ago
    'I can't believe that no one has mentioned Rush Limbaugh.' I mentioned him in the first post after Muddy started this thread.
  • ATACdawg
    2 years ago
    Back in the late 70s and early 80s I listened to The Grease man in Jacksonville. His schtick was that he was a huge, fat, OTR truck driver. His humor was sexual, borderline racist and totally politically incorrect. It was also delivered with such innocence that he had a huge following among whites and blacks alike. He finally left Jax for Washington DC. I was in DC for some meetings and heard a familiar voice - Uncle Greasey himself. Unfortunately, that was also the day he went way to far with a "joke" that was in incredibly bad taste. In the DC environment, he was summarily canned. The funny thing was, he was actually a tall, skinny, long haired nice guy. Lately, I mostly keep my Sirius/XM radio tuned to Radio Margaritaville.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion