tuscl

OT: Tipping Culture

crazyjoe
Colorado
Friday, July 29, 2022 2:06 AM
I just saw this article. An employee is bragging about a customer who paid for the person behind him in line and the employee took the money for himself as a tip. I have heard a story about someone who paid $1,200.00 for everyone behind him in line and it sparked others to keep paying it forward and it lasted quite a while. I have never thought of this type of stealing happening. What are your thoughts on this? Should we eliminate tipping and force employers time pay a decent wage in food service or should customers be required to pay part of employees wages? Also what are your thoughts on shared tipping where the entire staff decides all tips equally?. One employee may be a standout and others are benefitting from them and not carrying their own weight. [view link]

4 comments

• ElDuderino_AZ
    2 years ago
    Keep tipping. And fuck pooled tips. That person is just an asshole and will get what's coming to him.
  • idletraveler
    2 years ago
    Why the fuck would anyone tip at Dunkin? I can't stand counter service fast food tip jars, or credit card readers that a preprogrammed to nearly force you to tip. When did that become a thing? Tipping at restaurants is reserved for waitresses at sit down places only.
  • Sgtsnowman
    2 years ago
    You asked "Should customers be required to pay part of an employee's wages?" You must be new at this economics thing. Businesses get their money from customers. You always pay the employees wages. You pay the owner, you pay his utility bills, his taxes, everything. The point of tipping years ago was that it was not compulsory and therefore incentivized better service from the employees who were face to face with customers. As the custom of tipping became socially compulsory, business owners realized they could keep advertised prices lower by not raising wages and letting you make up the difference. You know you're on the hook for that extra percentage when you walk through the door, but you don't blame the business owner for what is essentially an additional fee now. That model changes slightly in the clubs were most dancers are essentially independent contractors who operate on a "piece work" system with a price schedule set by the business even though it may not be enforced. While the concept of paying more for better service certainly applies, the dynamic is more like negotiating with a contractor building your deck or hiring a gardener or a consultant for a specific project.
  • twentyfive
    2 years ago
    Someone I knew owned a car wash years ago, the employee tips were supposed to be pooled but I knew for a fact that the owner/manager used to steal 30% of the tip money, when I questioned him about it, he said that was to pay for employee uniforms. Seemed to be thieving to me.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion