tuscl

Deshaun Watson - Probably Another Year Off

shailynn
They never tell you what you need to know.
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nfl-recomme…

Way to go Cleveland Browns organization. 230 million guaranteed for a guy who will not have taken a snap in two years. Maybe they negotiate it down less than a year but with all the crap going on right now, the NFL will look like women haters if they do anything less than a year. Deshaun recently settled with 20 of the 24 plaintiffs. I was trying to figure that out, would that be like me paying $200 or $2,000.00? Either way if I could settle 20 lawsuits against me for $2,000 sign me up!!!! Although I hope to never have any lawsuits against me let alone 24.

14 comments

• Ulrik79
    2 years ago
    His first season was only set for $1 million dollars so he isn't out any money because the Browns figured he would miss the entire first year already.
  • From978
    2 years ago
    I guess some people have faster learning curves than others, but I'm still having trouble understanding how you get shot down 19 times and still decide to try for the 20th.
  • Huntsman
    2 years ago
    Maybe Johnny Manziel can fill in. I think he is available.
  • TheeOSU
    2 years ago
    Fucking Browns! For years through all the coaching/front office changes my mantra about the Browns has been different faces, same results. Then in 2020 they were flying and it looked like they finally turned things around to become a good team.
    Last year Mayfield got hurt early and played with a bad shoulder and they came back to Earth but there was still hope for this year.

Then that fucking trade! Watson is a good QB but he's damaged goods and they gave up way too much to get him. I was and still am against that trade and the huge guaranteed contract they gave him. They mortgaged their future for a QB that may not play for a year or more.
    Talk is their meddling owner Haslam who has a history of trying hard to replace Snyder and Jones as the biggest fool NFL owner pressured his front office to make that trade.

What happens to Watson remains to be seen, a year suspension, possibly less, maybe more is knocking on the door. The whole thing is a massive cluster fuck and leave it to the Browns to be the stars. It's just sad.
  • shailynn
    2 years ago
    "His first season was only set for $1 million dollars so he isn't out any money because the Browns figured he would miss the entire first year already."

Yes I am completely aware of this, still doesn't make this deal any better IMO, maybe for Watson but nobody else.
  • Ulrik79
    2 years ago
    I was just getting at the fact that the Browns knew what they were getting by making the first year only 1 million. So this discussion should have happened as soon as the contract was announced and there shouldn't have been any surprise he was going to miss another year based on the contract. Maybe there were Browns fans that were hoping that Watson wouldn't be suspended the whole first year, but with how the team structured the deal, they knew he wasn't going to play
  • shailynn
    2 years ago
    ^^^^ yeah if this was ten years ago ala Ben Roethlisberger I could see this being a 3-6 game suspension (including preseason) but in todays climate, it's going to be hard. We've seen people pull off miracles in negotiations before!
  • Dolfan
    2 years ago
    I didn't think Watson would be successful in the NFL coming out of college, so maybe my opinion doesn't mean much, but I can't see a QB taking two years off and still coming back as a dominant player. Thank god for the Browns, if they hadn't been ever so slightly dumber or more desperate than the Dolphins, he'd be our problem.

I still don't know what exactly he's even accused of, but wasn't this the case where the detective on case basically came out and said they believe all complaints and its up to the accused to prove they're innocent? And a grand jury declined to indict him two or three times? That sorta thing really casts some doubt on the situation, which is unfortunate for all involved. I never want to support bad behavior, but I hate to see a situation where the mere accusation is enough to convict someone.
  • twentyfive
    2 years ago
    ^ I was thinking the same exact thing, tank god the Dolphins aren't so thirsty, I don't see him becoming anything more than a run of the mill workman type QB.
  • NJBalla
    2 years ago
    It happens to execs all the time on thier way out. It’s called a golden parachute. Don’t be mad at him or execs worry why the talent is so bad owners resort to this
  • shailynn
    2 years ago
    He recently settled for 2 or 2.2 million with 20 of the 24 plaintiffs. I take that is each one will get around $100k BEFORE lawyer fees, so what’s that? Around $60k each?

With the million in play for the first year I understood that as if he gets to play part of the season they will prorate that million for how ever long he gets to play for the season then going forward it’s the full contract. So essentially if he plays half the season in 2022-23 he would get 500k, so his contract would really be for 229.5 million.

Where that 500k goes who knows, maybe they’ll give it to Baker for fucking him over.

Interestingly the lawyers are going after the Texans now, hoping for another payday.
  • tin man
    2 years ago
    Guys, the Brown organization wouldn't make that deal without knowing what's coming down in the future. Deshaun will be fine.
  • skibum609
    2 years ago
    The one saving grace in all of this is it cut down on articles about that faggot Kapernick (who sucked) making a come back.
  • Longball300
    2 years ago
    Heard Kap's last tryout was a disaster; he's old and washed up; never that good to start with.

All the local news out of training camp says Watson looks A-1... just have to wait a year. he's only what... 26?
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion