tuscl

Fuck Snow, Moving to SoFlo - Any suggestions?

Nixur68
Texas
Hey all,

I'm old. I'm sick of it. It's been cold, dark and below zero for weeks. I can't even walk to my freaking mailbox without having to throw on heavy coat with boots. I'm had enough of this crap even for a lifetime. I know we've got a few Miami locals, any ideas the best way to pick out a neighborhood and find an apartment? Are there any better more affordable options beyond Craiglist and Apartments.com?

44 comments

• datinman
    3 years ago
    I personally hate Miami traffic and while it is a fun place to visit, I would never want to live there. Alternatives to escape the winter cold that I have looked into are a little farther north in the Cocoa Beach - Vero Beach area. Also considering Sarasota - Naples on the west coast.

A lot of my friends do the snowbird thing because as much as they hate February back home, they hate August in Florida just as much (heat, humidity, hurricanes, mosquitoes). Right now Florida real estate seems to be in a massive bubble, so I am reluctant to buy. I have been doing VRBO to check out different areas so I can decide where I want to be when I pull the trigger on a winter beach house.
  • Longball300
    3 years ago
    Lived there for a couple years; grew to hate the heat / humidity as much or worse than the cold.

Strange mix of people too...
  • Dolfan
    3 years ago
    Unless you're a hot chick, don't come to Florida. It sucks here for everyone else.
  • Longball300
    3 years ago
    ^ LOL
  • Cashman1234
    3 years ago
    There are several long time members who are living in Florida now.

I’m thinking of making the move in a couple of years as well. I’ve only vacationed there, so I can’t offer advice on specific communities.

There are some very nice east coast areas - as Cocoa is nice and not too far south - Vero Beach is beautiful and a decent location - Palm Beach is also a nice location. Beachfront in Vero Beach can be very expensive!

I’ve only recently started checking the west coast, but there are some beautiful spots there too. St Pete is nice - and so is Ft Meyers. The water is warm and the sunsets are great.

Jacksonville is far north - and I’ve not been to the beach there. But, there is a good amount of business - and banks - so that is good for work. It’s likely cooler in the winter up there (and possibly not as brutal in the summer?)
  • skibum609
    3 years ago
    Florida is a great vacation spot for five days. Living there is heat and humidity with weirdos and dummies. Mild winter to the extent that I have yet to wear an overcoat. Plus the coldest day skiing this year was only -19.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    It's too backward to live in. Look at their politics. Look at a lot of the people from there.

If you want warm weather and a cheap place. Laughlin Nevada
  • Mate27
    3 years ago
    ^^^ no strip clubs. Casa Grande, AZ is in the middle of Tucson/PHX with access to dozens of strip clubs within an hour drive, and cost of living is great. Night life isn’t so great, but you’re retired so that doesn’t matter. You can find great restaurants that are affordable during your daytime trips to the strip club. Best secret out there for retirees.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    Dream girls across the Arizona border is the closest strip club to Laughlin i tjink.
  • Mate27
    3 years ago
    ^^ yeah, it sucks. It is only open on certain nights and is slow, and considering what is backwards, that part of the desert is the armpit of the nation. Only the weird would suggest living there, so considering the source it’s perfect for you.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    Laughlin is great. 8ts like what vegas used to be. Or like reno with nice weather. And vegas is pretty close. But you have plenty to do in Laughlin.
  • skibum609
    3 years ago
    In the summer when the water gets low Laughlin smells like an open sewer. Warm weather attracts the weak and the failed.
  • Muddy
    3 years ago
    Wait where are you at in Texas where the cold is unbearable?
  • twentyfive
    3 years ago
    Would the last English speaker to leave Miami please turn out the lights.
  • caseyx
    3 years ago
    Clearly you should look for apartments that are close in proximity to great strip clubs. So check the reviews here.
  • Papi_Chulo
    3 years ago
    Living in Miami is a different animal – often feels like one is living in a different country – I would assume it’d be hard for most people to get used to living in Miami unless one is young and down in Miami for the party-scene.

Rents have always been fairly-high in Miami and higher than most places except maybe big cities in the Northeast or Cali – I can only assume rents have increased post Covid w/ the influx of people into SoFlo and the rest of the state; as well as lesser availability.

Broward County was usually a reprieve from Miami but that has been getting filled up over the years from people moving-up from Miami or moving to SoFlo and wanting to avoid Miami – so Broward is not as much of a step-up as it used to be but still a bit better than Miami.

Then there’s Palm Beach County – the farthest north county of the SoFlo metroplex area – being the farthest from Miami it was also the “least like Miami” although most of SoFlo including Palm Beach County has been changing over the last few years and not what they used to be.

Having said this, I’d say as an outsider, Palm Beach county may be the best option in terms of rental-prices and availability and a slower pace of life compared to Broward and Miami Dade – Palm Beach county also has a fair amount of retirement communities which may be an option, IDK.

I haven’t looked at the rental market so IDK the current state of it in terms of prices and availability – one thing that is fairly-common in SoFlo are efficiencies – these are usually when the homeowner seals off one of the bedrooms, often a master bedroom, and turns it into kinda a little studio apartment w/ its own separate entrance and own bathroom w/ shower; some have a little kitchen and some do not – these are all over SoFlo from Miami to West Palm Beach and are more affordable and one usually just goes month-to-month vs signing a lease – they are a good way to save $$$ or not be tied-down especially for a single person – of course it’s not as private as an apartment so if the people in the house are noisy and play loud music etc you’d probably hear some of that – these efficiencies are usually found on Craigslist but you can also do a Google search for “efficiency for rent in <city_name>”.
  • Papi_Chulo
    3 years ago
    ^ Google "efficiency for rent in (city_name)"
  • Papi_Chulo
    3 years ago
    Unless you want SoFlo specifically b/c of the club scene, as others have said there are other options available that are warm and also have a decent to good SC-scene – you can try central FL (around Orlando or north or south of it), you can also try east of Orlando in the Melbourne/Palm Bay/Cocoa Beach area – or west side of FL from Ft Myers up to Tampa – these may have a better quality of life and be less expensive than SoFlo although IDK that for sure – other areas that are typically warm with a decent QOL and COL and decent SC-scenes are Houston and Phoenix area although again IDK for sure how rents are in those areas these days and availability.
  • Nixur68
    3 years ago
    Thanks Papi,

I was in Texas for work but back in fucking Chicago. Isn't this website supposed to help me make bad decisions?
  • mark94
    3 years ago
    Phoenix rents are up 40%. It’s no longer a low cost of living area. Too many Californians moving in.
  • twentyfive
    3 years ago
    Ask a specific question I'll do my best to help you out, rents in South Florida tend to be the highest in the state. I brought my House in the early 1990s, I doubt you can find a house in a neighborhood in this area for much less than 700 K, prices all over Florida are high, but you're asking too generalized information for anyone not willing to write a large book. One thing about Florida that's true all over the state, the closer to the beach the more expensive it's going to be, and all of your other expenses are going to follow that.
  • Warrior15
    3 years ago
    I have some land just east of Ave Maria that I'll give you a good deal on. It's real quiet and lots of nature around. You might invest into a rifle in case you see a gator or a panther.
    3 years ago
    Just move to TJ
  • mark94
    3 years ago
    Here’s a list of 7 affordable cities in the Sun Belt:

https://www.rockethomes.com/blog/housing…
  • ATACdawg
    3 years ago
    Jacksonville is an odd place. Deathly hot in the summer, 90-105 and brutally humid. The winter can range from 19-65 on the same day.

Pittsburgh had a much superior climate with three good seasons and only the winter miserable.
  • Papi_Chulo
    3 years ago
    "... Here’s a list of 7 affordable cities in the Sun Belt ..."

I assume a major reason for the OP wanting to move to SoFlo other than to get away from the cold is b/c of the club-scene in SoFlo - of the clubs listed in the article above by @Mark94, Tampa and Jax are the only ones w/ decent to good scenes with Tampa being better plus Tampa having nearby Pasco county which also has good clubs - thus Tampa, or its vicinity, might be the best COL/QOL/SCing area
  • RTP
    3 years ago
    I read the article of the 7 affordable cities, I think I would move on to the second 7. The only two that I would consider are Tampa and San Antonio. Is St. Louis, Mo really in the sunbelt? I used to do business in Memphis, not my favorite place to go.
  • gammanu95
    3 years ago
    Don't listen to 25IQ, he's senile on top of stupid and has a life full of wrong choices.

Besides, Florida is full. We're closed.

If you insist on taking the risk of becoming Florida Guy, then there is a lot to consider. You will need a bag full of cash, literally. To win a bid on a good home in a good neighborhood, you will have to offer at least $20,000 over list (on average), and forgo some traditional buyer like inspection results and so on. Get pre-qualified, and have enough to put in approx $25,000 on your earnest money. Remember that everyone else is moving, too, so U-hauls, storage units, professional movers are all either booked for a couple of months, completely sold out, or charging ultra-premium rates. Bank are also behind on their closing, so it will be hard to go less than 90-120 days (unles you are a cash or very-high down payment buyer).

The locations with good strip clubs are also the locations with the most residents and worst crime - Miami-Dade, Broward Country, Tampa/Pinellas area, etc. The heat and humidity are brutal - punishingly brutal. It is not fun to be outside in the summer. The snowbirds coming down in the winter means that reserations at even the most relaxed neighborhood restaurant are booked for a couple of weeks. There is no, "Let's eat out tonight." No reservations means no available seating.

Again, if you are determined to move here, I would look at the panhandle. That is comparatively more affordable, decent strip clubs, less congested, the weather is a little more forgiving, and you are closer to sane states like GA than PR. The Gulf Coast beaches are still legendary in their own right, and the cost of living is lower since you are on the I-10 corridor.
  • nicespice
    3 years ago
    Yay for Denver. There is snow but it just comes and goes as it pleases and doesn’t stick around 😁

Also, what is considered “affordable”? Since you’re renting, what is your budget range?

If I had to pick an area to live in a large metro area, I’d personally Airbnb it in the neighborhoods being looked at for 2-3 days to decide how much I liked an area. And I say Airbnb because you will more likely be in residential and not business areas. Patronize a local business or two and see how you vibe. But that’s just me.

• Papi_Chulo
    3 years ago
    One good thing about SoFlo is people-watching hot-babes especially on the weekends at South Beach or Fort Lauderdale Beach and also Hollywood Beach.
  • gammanu95
    3 years ago
    Rockethomes is smoking some good weed. St. Louis, Memphis, Tulsa, and OK City are decidedly NOT the Sun Belt. Moreover, they have a high incidence of poverty. unemployment, and violent crime and always have. They aren't even good strip club cities! Hard pass.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    I checked out Miami rents. You can get a nice1 bedroom apt for under $800.
  • twentyfive
    3 years ago
    ^ Betcha can’t !
  • Papi_Chulo
    3 years ago
    "... I checked out Miami rents. You can get a nice1 bedroom apt for under $800 ..."

Very doubtful - mayyyyybe deep in the hood and even then.

Post the link.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    https://www.apartments.com/miami-fl/unde…

The prices aren't that bad on there. But I'm not familiar with Miami neighborhoods
  • twentyfive
    3 years ago
    Do you see the address Little Haiti , you should move there we’ll finally be rid of you
    LULZ
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    I'm not racist against haitians
  • twentyfive
    3 years ago
    So move there should be just what you need
  • Papi_Chulo
    3 years ago
    Some of those below $1K advertisements I think are for shared student apartments; basically you are renting a room and maybe have your own bathroom but you have roommates in other rooms within the same unit
  • skibum609
    3 years ago
    There is a great 1 bedroom apt in the Overtown section of Miami for $795.00 a month and a shuttle to the E.R. is included.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    I don't mind ghetto areas. If I moved to a new city I start with the cheapest place possible to get established. Save a little and look for something better. A motel or hotel cam be cheaper than an apartment when you factor in what you save on utilities
  • datinman
    3 years ago
    Why are members of the 350k a month club talking about $800 a month rentals? Who wants to live in a closet in the ghetto?

Here's a listing more fitting a TUSCL member.
    https://www.sothebysrealty.com/eng/sales…
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion