tuscl

Burner app for iPhone?

Dan3635
Gulf Coast. I’m not your boss.
Can anyone recommend a good private text app for iPhone? I see coverme and Textnow. I’m not interested in google voice.

21 comments

• Dolfan
    3 years ago
    Good is subjective. What's the critera for good? What about google voice disqualifies it?

Put a little effort in your life man. Don't expect others to do everything for you.

• Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    They're pretty much all the same. Get a paid version
  • Dan3635
    3 years ago
    Thanks Dolfan. The criteria for good would be truly private and reliable. I’ve read reviews on the App Store, but they are all over the place. That’s why I started this discussion thread. I searched and read all the old articles and the information send out of date. Some of the apps mentioned don’t exist anymore.

I certainly don’t expect “others to do everything for” me. However I am asking the opinion of a group who I generally respect.
  • Dan3635
    3 years ago
    Oh. I forgot to say why I don’t want google voice. Apparently it ties to your main phone number. So it isn’t private.
  • CJKent_band
    3 years ago
    If you use an app with your “smartphone” (Apple’s iPhone or Android phone) you can be traced, via carriers or networks, and all of your data is tracked by both the phone’s manufacturer and your network provider.

If you really need to be “private/anonymous” get a simple phone that can be bought for cash either in a 7/11 or a store like Best Buy, and can be activated by phone using a land line (pay phone, they are out there) so you can make up your secret identity.

Just remember all mobile phones can be traced/located when they are being used with devices that triangulate the location using the cellular network.

Some “carriers” like US Mobile and Visible cost $10-$15 a month.
  • Dan3635
    3 years ago
    Great point about the physical burner phone!! Thank you C J Kent. You are a super man!
  • queencarmen
    3 years ago
    Burner app on iPhone, I think it's 5$ a month. I use it when I'm not comfortable enough to give my real # out to someone.. depends on the customer
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    3 years ago
    Hushed

CoverMe

But getting a separate burner phone (paid with cash) is the best option if privacy is your top motivator.
  • Dan3635
    3 years ago
    Thanks Queen Carmen and Ishmael.

Sorry to pester, but have you had any issues with the Burner app? There are comments online that say it caused problems and was hard to uninstall.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    3 years ago
    I've used Burner app. It's fine. It makes all the same claims about privacy, etc., as the other apps. I've heard that Hush and CoverMe are more secure.

Here's the problem with all of these phone-based burner apps. The moment you say "I use XYZ burner app.", there's a 50% chance that the person you're talking to will say "That app is totally compromised. You should use 123 app." And then you say "I use 123 app.", and there's still a 50% chance that the person you're talking to will say "That app is totally compromised. You should use ABC app."

And that will go on forever. And that's why really the only totally private solution is a physically seperate cash-bought phone.

Another option is end-to-end encrypted messaging apps like Signal, etc., but those require that both users have the app installed on their phones. That can be a tough sell to a dancer who probably isn't convinced that you're ever going to spend real money on her.

That said, I did have one dancer who insisted that I use Signal if I wanted OTC, and that was not negotiable. Ultimately, both the app and the OTC was great.
  • Dan3635
    3 years ago
    Great points Ishmael. Sounds like I need to look into the physical phone.
  • Papi_Chulo
    3 years ago
    I use TextNow on my Android ph which another TUSCLer recommended - it's free and good enough for what I need (separate ph #; calls and texts).
  • Dolfan
    3 years ago
    It sounds dumb, but privacy is subjective. Sure, GV requires you to verify with an existing phone. Other services that require subscriptions are going to have your payment info. Or an email address. And they're all going to have your IP address. If someone wants to find you, there will be a link. Didn't we just read about some pedo getting caught by tracking the locations his burner phone was at? Like it was usually at his house at night, was at his moms house on her birthday, shit like that. Don't quote me on the details. Perfect privacy is unattainable.

If you simply don't want a stripper to google your number and find your name, shit like GV and Textnow work famously. Strippers aren't going to hack your account or the providers, nor purchase data dumps from someone who did. If you're hiding from your SO, its a similar story. She's not gonna find out about it because of some entry in some company database somewhere. She's gonna see the app on your phone one day. Your job? Same idea, they aren't out hacking shit. For reliability, big names are gonna be more reliable. But, if its just stripper comms I come back to: do you really care? So what if a stripper text is delayed 15 minutes once every 3 months. Or if you're really trying to stay private and reliable, as mentioned, a dedicated physical device purchased in cash is the way to go. Age it a bit so there's less likely to be video of you purchasing it. Keep it off at home and other places you go regularly, and don't have your other phone on at the same time. But that that point, if its for talking to strippers its fucking worthless cause it's gonna be off 95% of the time.

Point is, IMO, you're focused on the wrong things if its just for talking to strippers. Focus on features for the app, and your behavior.
  • Dan3635
    3 years ago
    Wow! Excellent response. Thank you Dolfan.
  • Papi_Chulo
    3 years ago
    I wouldn't trust the big tech companies like Google - their business-model is in finding as much about u as possible - it can he argued no solution/app is perfect but a decent app probably mitigates enough stuff for the avg PL
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    Get a cheap phone with a prepaid plan and pay in cash. That's the best route. Any burner number will have your number or payment info.
  • Dolfan
    3 years ago
    As far as not trusting Google, I get your point. On its face, it seems like they're just a data hungry ball of greed. And they are. But, that's exactly why I trust them. The data they collect about you is their one of their greatest corporate assets. It's like the secret formula to Coke. Yeah, THEY have it. But they expend tons of time and effort to make sure they're the only ones who have it. Yeah, they scan your email or GV texts and see you're talking about doing some kinky shit with some new stripper. They're not gonna run off and tell your wife, boss, neighbors and priest. They're gonna slip in some ads for condoms, lube, various sex toys, handcuffs, and so on into the next site you visit that buys ads from Google. That's how they make their money. If they start leaking information about people, their value would collapse. If other advertisers had that data, they'd undercut them. And user trust would erode rapidly dramatically if it ever got out. Stock would crash, paper billionaires would commit suicide.

I don't trust Google not to harvest any and all information about me and my habits as they possibly can. However, I do trust them to keep what they collect to themselves. They'll give it out for legal requests, and government agencies will cast as large a net as possible to get the most info with every request. But even then, there is like .000001% chance someone gets that info from Google if all I'm doing is texting strippers. Chances are much greater that an interested party will get my phone and brute force my passcode, then just read my messages. Or if it's your wife they'll use your fingerprint while you sleep or have a legit reason to "use your phone for a minute honey" and just stumble on the app.

A physically separate burner phone solves a lot of that behavioral stuff. If you're SO see's it, "Oh, don't you remember? I found that phone under the seat last month, I think it was the guy from jiffy lube, or the valet or something and I told you I'd bring it back the next day but I forgot. I didn't want you to bring up how I always forget stuff so I hid it until I got a chance to go drop it off. Shit, maybe I had that conversation with Bob from work or my brother or something" If someone steals it at the club, so what, it's got some pictures and sext type stuff that doesn't trace back to you. The scenario where its just an app on your phone is worse either way. The jiffy lube story is lame and casts doubt, but having the app on your phone and getting naked "come see me" texts is pretty fucking damning, and it's sitting right next to the texts from her telling you to pick up some milk & eggs on the way home so everyone knows it you.

I'm not saying be reckless with your privacy, I'm just saying take precautions that make sense for your scenario and aren't just from marketing, paranoia, or political propaganda.

• PinkSugarDoll
    3 years ago
    I have used the Burner app as my “work phone” for almost 10 years on IPhone. 👍🏼
  • Cashman1234
    3 years ago
    When I was acting like a fool, and drinking, and married, I used my work cell phone for stripper texts. That is a bad idea. Besides leaving it around so my ex could see basically everything, it also created more liability if an otc stripper wanted to blackmail a bank officer.

I’m acting like less of a fool now. I drink very modestly, and I’m divorced. But, I keep my club interactions separate from my other interactions, as it seems safer. I have a burner prepaid cell phone, as others have mentioned. The plan is low cost, and paid for using prepaid cards purchased using cash. It might sound excessive, but I’m not concerned with my interactions with strippers itc or otc now.

I keep the data plan pretty low, as I am usually on a wifi network, so I only use it on the cell network when I’m out at a club or no tell motel. That being said, if you get a higher data plan, it’s usually pretty cheap, as there are many low cost carriers now.
  • Tiburon
    3 years ago
    The best ones are paid versions. What, you're hiding from your wife? Or do you not want this to be seen on your history if you get hacked?
    3 years ago
    Why the hell is a man using an iPhone. Get a Samsung like the rest of us
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion