tuscl

Region with Best Weather?

Ask different people and you can get a lot of different answers.

I think a lot would answer Southern California and over a short time period I would agree. But after living out in the southwest for awhile you sort of miss cloudy days, just didn't get enough them. I don't think the inverse would be fun like in the PNW but I think balance is good.

After growing up in the NE I'm over winters even being coastal it's still gets too cold for too long. SE I'm not sure people realize how hard and how much it rains.

If I had to pick there might be a happy medium somewhere in there like maybe like Tennessee or North Carolina where you still at least get four seasons. Ask me again in January my answer will be South Florida. How about y'all

30 comments

• Call.Me.Ishmael
    3 years ago
    I still love wintertime in New England.

I knew someone who moves to southern Utah because it snowed in the winter, but not a ton. And it got warm in the summer, but not sweltering hot. And the rains weren't too bad. Granted, if you like your vices then Utah isn't the best state to make home. I think that if you look at if you look along that line (southern Colorado / northern New Mexico) then you'll find pretty temperate weather.

I lived in Southern CA for several years. The weather is nice, but it gets broken up by earthquakes, mudslides, and brush fires. I prefer my weather to be less Bible inspired.
  • nicespice
    3 years ago
    I dislike cold weather more than hot weather, so I’m voting somewhere generally south. I’m not too fond of wind, and at this point I think I prefer drier weather over humidity.

My guess would be Arizona. Tho I haven’t spent enough time there to really judge it.
  • nicespice
    3 years ago
    That being said, as far as dancing goes I’m finding I’m more generally fond of places up north. Some dancer was talking about going to Hurley WI for snowmobiling season, and I wish I had more tolerance to give that area a shot but NOPE I just can’t do it.

So trade-offs. Lol
  • Papi_Chulo
    3 years ago
    I was born tl- the Caribbean, and grew-up in Miami (which is practically in the Caribbean) - I grew up used-to year-round warm-weather and year-round sunny-skies; both of which I like and prefer - as long as it's my choice I'd always like/prefer to live in such a place where I'd rarely need a jacket in winter and winters had mostly blue-skies; even Atlanta would be too-cold for my tastes in winter - there is also the added-advantage of women dressing sexy and skimpy year-round in places like Miami (I can't see myself ever living in a noethern state unless I had to for some reason).

The downside to Miami is the humidity which can at times fry-your-brain - never been to SoCal but have heard their weather is warm w/o being overbearing like Miami so I assume I'd like SoCal weather the best.
  • Warrior15
    3 years ago
    I hate cold. So I'm gonna say Hawaii or Miami. But some people hate the humidity. I lived in Denver for a couple of years. And yes, it did get cold sometimes, I didn't seem to mind that much. The air is very dry so it has to get below 40 for you to start to feel cold. And I liked the ability to go snow skiing.

But if I'm suddenly worth 100 million and can live where ever I want, It's gonna be Ft Lauderdale, FL. For many reasons, but the weather is one of them.
  • Warrior15
    3 years ago
    San Diego is nice. But the water temperature stays cold, even in the summer. And the smog is bad and the cost of living is high. And I could not stand Cali politics.
  • twentyfive
    3 years ago
    I would have to agree with that Papi, only places with better weather than South Florida have wild fires, earthquakes, but if you go down in the southern Caribbean region the island of Aruba (my personal favorite) and a few others have great weather and they are beyond the hurricane belt, but still it's not the United States
  • misterorange
    3 years ago
    Lived in New Jersey my whole life. There are several things I don't like about it, but can't say weather is one of them. We really get a true four seasons. Every now and then we'll get an exceptionally hot summer or a more severe winter than normal, but usually it's relatively moderate.

I hate the summer heat. In my younger years I spent an entire summer training at Fort Bragg NC and that was enough to convince me I could never live anywhere south of Delaware. OTOH I have some family up in Maine and I have no idea how they manage those winters.

My #1 hobby is motorcycle riding, and while July and August are sometimes too hot for me, the trade off is that I can usually start riding around March and continue into November, so taking a little time off in the middle of summer isn't too bad.

When I eventually retire, I don't see myself going much further than Pennsylvania. The weather I like and lots of good roads for riding.
  • Subraman
    3 years ago
    The thing about weather is, you get used to and find a way to enjoy the weather where you are, unless it's really extreme. I imagine no one in Alaska is going to be singing Alaska's weather praises, but if it's not extreme, people will find a way to enjoy. I grew up in northeast weather -- four seasons, including an amazing color-changing fall, winter sports, warm summers -- and really enjoyed it.

But then I moved to the Mediterranean weather of southern-to-central CA, and man, it's amazing. And 90% of people who move here from other states, end up in love with the weather here, it's just delightful to most humans once they get used to it. Sure, they might say they miss certain things, I miss thunderstorms and snow, but not so much I'd consider a move to a place that has either of those things to be a weather upgrade. Mediterranean weather is the pinnacle, everything else is about deciding which tradeoffs you can live with.

Ignoring politics, quality of life, SC quality, and all the other important things :) If I had to pick a different weather type, I imagine my particular tradeoffs would lean towards subtropical (southern east coast) or tropical, I'll take the humidity to not be in the cold.

As it is, when I retire I'm thinking of heading to a free state, which means desert or arid, not my top choice but I'll deal
  • ElDuderino_AZ
    3 years ago
    My number one hell no weather trait is humidity with the heat. It's awful, the worst. So east of the Rockies and south of the great lakes region is out.

I would love to have seasons, but the cold for just so damn long in the MW means that region is (probably) out; I'd make an exception and deal w/it for the right $ opportunity $.

The mild temps in San Diego would be nice, but it's pretty much the same all year round. The Pac-NW seems like it would be awesome, with the pines, clouds, and rain. But I've never been out there. Love the look, though.

Phoenix winters get a "cold" couple of weeks where the highs might hit the upper 40s, and we'll generally have a few nights below freezing; it's funny to see red solo cups on top of cacti in front yards... can't let the tops freeze! June is super dry and hot. Say what you will about 115 or 118 degrees, but I would take that dry heat 100 times out of 100 over humidity (spent a late summer and a spring in Tulsa and that was MISERABLE). Here, monsoon season is basically July 4 to Labor Day, with bad ass thunder storms and, sadly, more humidity than I'd like, but not as bad as the south.

That said...somewhere in the SW with slightly higher elevation, like Prescott or Sedona in Arizona might be perfect. Four seasons, snow but not too much, rain, thunderstorms, 20 or 25 degrees cooler than Phoenix 90 mins to the south.

Although, I would like to spend a year somewhere like Grand Rapids or Traverse City, just to see how tough it'd be.

And one other thing...at the risk of having my man-card revoked, growing up in Phoenix, you don't really get to "see" fall. I would love to spend the last four months of the year somewhere like Vermont, northern Michigan, Maine... Just to see the colors. Drove through the Ozarks in Missouri one October, and it was a sea of yellow, red, orange, and brown - never seen anything like it, it was amazing.
  • Mate27
    3 years ago
    AZ mountains above 5,500 feet. Rain and clouds from July-September keeps a temperate climate during the summer and snowstorms that quickly melts by noon on the roadways during the winter. Combine that with the cost of living and the proximity to visit the California beaches and leave their tax base behind makes our political climate more favorable, too. But don’t let too many people know about the best kept secret. Just need to maintain a hazard free property for fire season and secure a reliable water source, and you got it made. Thankfully I’ve got it all.
  • Subraman
    3 years ago
    "That said...somewhere in the SW with slightly higher elevation, like Prescott or Sedona in Arizona might be perfect. Four seasons, snow but not too much, rain, thunderstorms, 20 or 25 degrees cooler than Phoenix 90 mins to the south. "

I forgot about Prescott style weather -- yes, if you absolutely have to have 4 seasons, I think that's ideal. Warm summers without the humidity or furnace-level heat, cold winters without it being frigid
  • Subraman
    3 years ago
    Actually, I just looked it up, Prescott is considered Mediterranean weather, just like coastal CA. But it's 10-20 degrees cooler during the winter than SF and another 10 degrees on top of that than Socal.
  • shadowcat
    3 years ago
    I've always said that Santa Barbara CA would be my first choice as far as weather goes. I was born and raised in SO CAL and lived there for 45years and though it was great but I'm retired and living in an Atlanta suburb now and will live out my life here. Not too much snow, cold, rain, tornados, hurricanes, fires or earth quakes.
  • Muddy
    3 years ago
    Natural disaster type stuff, Tornado alley is a hell no from me. I could hold down a hurricane as long as you don’t do stupid shit as many do.

To me, Spring is just the best season but to get a real spring you need some type of winter.

• Muddy
    3 years ago
    And I’ll always prefer arid to humidity. I didn’t even realize what humidity was unitil I was in a desert and thought to myself damn I was breathing in soup all these years.
  • ElDuderino_AZ
    3 years ago
    I went to Tulsa in August in 2010 and, having spent essentially my entire life in socal and Phx, I was NOT ready for that sauna. I was taking 4 or 5 showers / day. I'd take the trash out or get the mail, and instantly be sweaty as hell. So, peace out, humidity. I'd say it was nice knowing you, but my mom taught me not to tell lies.

As far as natural disasters, tornadoes and earthquakes...no thanks.

And yeah... Prescott summers 80-90 high, lows around 50. Fall and spring are more mild. Winter highs generally low 50s, lows in the 20s, and 5 or 6 inches of snow / month. So you get the look of it w/out the BS of the NE, MW, or Rockies.
  • Jascoi
    3 years ago
    i like the higher elevations of arizona. butt not too high like flagstaff or the white mountains.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    I think San Diego has the perfect weather
  • mike710
    3 years ago
    I don't know why someone could say San Diego has bad smog unless they haven't been here since the 70's. It could be 75 and sunny any day of the year in San Diego. Other parts of Southern CA can get hot but it doesn't usually get hot in SD.

I travel all over the US and have never seen better weather than SD. Unless you like cold, cloudy and snowy/rainy weather than SD is not for you. Sure the ocean is cold but that is what keeps the temperature moderate. I'm at the age where I'm probably done going into the ocean anyway. There are plenty of pools if you are looking to get wet.
  • shailynn
    3 years ago
    Everywhere I’ve ever lived has had shitty weather. I’ve lived in Cleveland which is often cited as the city with the shiftiest weather in America. It gets that honor because of a combination of snow accumulation, wind, mild summers, rainfall and daily average temperature. I personally think Chicago, Detroit and Buffalo/upstate New York are all right there with their shitty weather as well.

I’ve grown to like certain aspects of shitty weather, but my favorite part of living in a milder climate is that time period in the spring and fall when you can drive with your windows up, and not need air or heat run in your car. I also drove a lot for work, and prefer cold days over hot ones when driving, and overcast days over sunny days as well.
  • ElDuderino_AZ
    3 years ago
    I was thinking about this at 7am after I woke up and went outside to skim the pool (no shirt on, either!)... November 1, supposed to be about 85. Nice day. But there are so many hot sunny days and pleasant sunny days here that what really gives me a #WeatherBoner is a random January day when it's 45-50 with light rain.
  • shailynn
    3 years ago
    ^^^ that’s perfect but I don’t know how you guys survive those 95+ degree hot summer days. Especially when it hits over 100. I was in Vegas for a week where it was over 100 every single day. Even at night I felt like I was on fire when I was outside.
  • ElDuderino_AZ
    3 years ago
    95 and sunny in the summer??? Must be a massive cold front; 95 sounds like April, May, October.

June is easy. It's dry as hell, fine in the shade or in the pool. Just don't go running or doing all your yard work at noon. Dusk isn't bad. July and August when it's 105-115 with a little humidity is pretty gross, but not as bad as pretty much anywhere east of the Rockies.

And AZ isn't like the MW or NE; you don't have to look for a place with AC - don't have old folks dying in their homes in July because it's too hot. Everybody has AC. You put your windows in certain areas of the house, get solar screens to minimize the heat coming in, have a covered patio.

When I was a kid in summer, during the day you just go in the pool, or play video games, watch TV. After it gets dark you out and play basketball or hockey in the street. When it's dry, it really isn't bad at all.
  • chimera422
    3 years ago
    Spring and Fall in Eastern Pa makes the bad days of summer and winter tolerable. I spent a summer in PHX….. no thanks. They say it’s a dry heat…. So is a broiler.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    I hate the cold. As long as it's over 65 and under 105 I'm fine.
  • ilbbaicnl
    3 years ago
    SoCal is the best in the US, but only if you're not more than 20 miles from the coast, then it's Nevazona. I'd be cool with Western Oregon, I can handle clouds and drizzle, and you gotta love all the flowers. Maybe Northern Cali is the same, I've never been. The central Mexican highlands have as nice a climate as coastal SoCal, but I guess that's cheating.
  • blahblahblah23
    3 years ago
    If I have to pick between hot weather or cold, i enjoy the cold so much more.

The north is good for that.

Cant wait to fully gtfo the south soon and never return to tx in my lifetime.
  • Mate27
    3 years ago
    ^^ what are you running away from?
  • skibum609
    3 years ago
    If I could choose, it would be Salt Lake City. Gets much less snow than the surrounding mountains and is nice and dry. New England has the worst weather. It was 41 and rainy all weekend and heat doesn't work on "raw" weather.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion