tuscl

Paragraphs

There’s a recent article where it’s just a fucking wall of text. Maybe it’s just me but I can’t even get through two sentences without getting a massive headache and have to turn away that stuff is unreadable. I try to reject any reviews like that even it’s Papi Chulo level detailed.

Damn even if the paragraph breaks don’t make grammatical sense or whatever just make some spaces FFS.

18 comments

• Call.Me.Ishmael
    3 years ago
    I feel the same. Paragraphs aren't an advanced skill.
  • ElDuderino_AZ
    3 years ago
    Yo soy un Grammar Nazi (despite the thumb errors from typing too fast). Paragraphs are a must, and the breaks have to make sense. Shorter paragraphs are better, as well. In a format like this, a "paragraph" can even be a sentence or two, because it's just easier on the eyes...kinda like Anna Kournikova circa 1999.
  • Tetradon
    3 years ago
    If I see a wall of text, REJECT - Incoherent.
  • Papi_Chulo
    3 years ago
    Yeah makes them harder to read (some don't even use any punctuation LOL) - having said that unlikely I reject a review solely bc of that but often times poor grammar goes hand-in-hand with a bad review.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    3 years ago
    If you're going to submit a review that will be judged by wide-ranging and random group of people, then people are going to come to that review with an equally wide range of standards for approving or rejecting it. If you want to increase the chances of approval, then put some basic effort into it. No one is expecting Hemingway, but it also shouldn't look like you wrote it with your face.

That said, some people can't write and they aren't articulate. Not everyone needs to be. But, for those people, it's worth noting that it costs $9 to buy 30 days of VIP. If you can't swing $9 for 30 days, then maybe strip clubs aren't the pastime for you.
  • drewcareypnw
    3 years ago
    Yes, yes, and yes.

I do think think typing on devices contributes to the poor grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc. seen at times on tuscl. That, and the inability to edit post submit.
  • ElDuderino_AZ
    3 years ago
    Some of it is also probably due to typing one-handed...

*Rimshot*
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    3 years ago
    If you're going to write a review on a phone, then write it in a text app first. Some even have a spell checker. And then copy and paste it over to TUSCL.
  • misterorange
    3 years ago
    @Muddy

The one you're referring to was actually submitted and approved TWICE. I rejected both times with the comment "I refuse to read this." I was under the impression it had been rejected and the guy resubmitted the same way, but it's published two times in the article section.
  • iknowbetter
    3 years ago
    Perhaps we are all showing just our age here. My kids, and my younger coworkers always tell me that Boomers are the only ones who send texts using complete sentences and punctuation.

For some reason, this is one forum where spelling, grammar, and punctuation are important, and one’s inability to convey a coherent thought is fiercely criticized. I am constantly impressed with the writing skills of most of the contributors to this community- especially consider it’s just a bunch of guys (girls, and others) who spend too much time and money in strip clubs.
  • misterorange
    3 years ago
    Lol @iknowbetter
    Millennials text as if they're being charged by the letter, but watch entire movies on their phones. Also act as if their time has any real value, but spend hours per day playing Candy Crunch or whatever!
  • Papi_Chulo
    3 years ago
    I can see grammar kinda going-out-the-window w/ young-people b/c of the use of smartphones; in that context it kinda makes sense since one wants to make things short-and-simple - unfortunately this may carry-over to non-smartphone communication/writing and why as @minnow once put it many reviews look more like tweets than reviews.
  • shailynn
    3 years ago
    Damn sometimes I even break up sentences because I know 90% of us are reading TUSCL on a 4”-7” ‘tiny’ screen to begin with.
  • misterorange
    3 years ago
    ^^
    4"x7"? My flip phone screen isn't even half that size.
  • twentyfive
    3 years ago
    We don’t need no stinking paragraphs or punctuation
  • Subraman
    3 years ago
    Heh, I went and found the article you're talking about. No way I'm reading that wall of text. I'm (usually) quiet about it, I just move on to the next article without complaining. But really, I don't understand why someone would put so much effort into writing so many words, and not put in the 1% more effort to make it readable so people would actually read and comment on it. Well, maybe I do -- sometimes just writing about a topic feels cathartic, and the writing exercise is about them, not the readers.
  • Cashman1234
    3 years ago
    How fortunate! The discussion almost directly above could provide a great solution!

https://tuscl.net/discussion.php?id=7300…
  • herbtcat
    3 years ago
    I approved that article. Or at least one of the dupes.

Although I was bothered by the lack of line breaks into paragraphs, I felt the content was worthy of approval. Judgement call.

Don't get me wrong here... I take an almost perverse pleasure in rejecting unpublished articles. Especially the one-line bullshit attempts to get free credit from cheap ass hats. And I kick plagiarists with equal joy as well. I mean FFS, Google works, dipshits.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion