tuscl

Going to the Movies During a Pandemic

motorhead
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
I saw a post on Facebook about the new Clint Eastwood movie

A guy says a Medium popcorn + Pepsi Combo was $18

Seriously? I haven’t been to a theater since Covid started but is that the price point? And don’t jump to conclusions that I’m afraid. It’s just that I haven’t seen a new movie that interests me in awhile. Has Hollywood lost its originality. They just keep pumping out the Marvel Universe films.

24 comments

• Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    I've wanted to see some movies. But yeah out here a movie date will cost you like $80 and up. That was before the pandemic
  • MackTruck
    3 years ago
    I Netflix and chill in da sleeper of da shit truck wit da $20 lot lizzards
  • shadowcat
    3 years ago
    Last time that I was in a movie theater was in 1988. I love movies and that is all I watch on TV but I don't like the environment of movie theaters. Too many loud people around and too many restrictions. I'll stay home and stream from Netflix, Hulu/Starz and backup with Tubi.
  • Warrior15
    3 years ago
    What people don't realize is this. Almost all of your ticket price goes to the producers of the movie. The only way the theater makes any money is from concessions. Fewer people are going now. So they need to increase their margins on what they do sell. The movie theater business is really hurting right now.
  • grand1511
    3 years ago
    There are deals out there that can really cut down the costs. I'm an A-List member at AMC Theaters and for $20 a month I have a subscription to get into up to 3 movies a week (including Dolby, Imax and 3-D screenings) at no additional charge along with small discounts on concessions. I believe other chains run similar promotions.
  • shailynn
    3 years ago
    I think I’m 2 years before the pandemic I went to the movie theater 2 or 3 times tops. One movie I really wanted to see in the theater and the other time or two was because I was stuck somewhere with nothing else to do.

With the exception of the new James Bond movie this fall, I think every movie I’ve been interested in this year is/was released (able to watch at home) simultaneously. For example the new Sopranos movie coming in October is being released at the same time or a week later on HBO as well. That makes going to the theater even less appealing when you have a nice big TV and a good sound system at home.
  • mike710
    3 years ago
    I saw that Clint Eastwood movie at home on HBO Max because I get it free since I have HBO in my cable package. For that same $18 I could have got an 18 pack of domestic beer.
  • Studme53
    3 years ago
    I went to a couple of movies during the pandemic.

The News of the World (I like westerns) - we were the only 2 people in the whole theater- early ‘21? It was great - not the movie (it was OK), but having the whole theater to ourselves.

A Quiet Place 2 - theater was packed - this summer at the Jersey shore where people are way over the pandemic.
  • Muddy
    3 years ago
    Same experience. I went to try to see Cry Macho a couple nights ago. 17 bucks. I was like fuck that I’m gonna get some beers
  • twentyfive
    3 years ago
    Near me none of the Movie theatres have opened yet
  • mike710
    3 years ago
    ^ I like Clint Eastwood but, if you've seen Clint's movies in the last few years, you've seen this one. He plays a grumpy old man who takes a kid under his wing. They don't like each other in the beginning but become best friends at the end. I wouldn't pay a lot to see it.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    3 years ago
    I will only go to a movie theater if it's a film that really deserves the big screen for things like setting, special effects, sound engineering, etc. But my criteria for even that is getting more and not less restrictive.

I'm not sure that movie theaters, as we know them, will survive another 20 years.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    To me going to the movies is much more about the experience than the movie itself.

But like many face to face experiences it's disappearing.

But new TVs give you a pretty good experience
  • SanchoRG
    3 years ago
    $20 has less purchasing power than ever before. That’s just the start. Also popcorn and drink at the theater are totally worth less than the price of a single 3 min lap dance
  • whodey
    3 years ago
    The prices around here have certainly gone up but not that high unless the $18 includes the ticket as well.

I took my niece and nephews to a movie a couple of weeks ago and the tickets were around $9 each, drinks were around $6 each, hot dogs and slices of pizza were about $6 each and candy was about $4 each. Nobody got popcorn so I don't know the price of it. Total cost for the 4 of us was just under $100 including tickets, food and drinks.

The movie the kids wanted to see (Jungle Cruise) was decent but definitely not worth $100. There haven't been any movies recently that are worth spending $25/each to watch at a theater. Hopefully some of the bigger action type movies start coming out again because those types of movies are better to watch on a big screen with a nice sound system and an excited crowd. With the right movie the experience is worth the cost, but the current crop of movies aren't worth it.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    Last time I went was before the pandemic. February 2020.

Ticket $17
    Soda bottle $10
    Nachos $15
    Candy $10 per item
  • georgmicrodong
    3 years ago
    What Warrior said.
  • san_jose_guy
    3 years ago
    How about doing some fucking during the pandemic. Then you are only exposed to one beautiful woman.

SJG

https://curvynbeautiful.com/collections/…
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    3 years ago
    SJG said "YOU HAVE TO TALK ABOUT THE THINGS I WANT TO TALK ABOUT AND ONLY THOSE THINGS!!!"

What a twat.
  • motorhead
    3 years ago
    “The prices around here have certainly gone up but not that high unless the $18 includes the ticket as well”

No - it didn’t. The guy said he paid $8 for the ticket. So he was in for $26 ((just one person) and the movie wasn’t worth it
  • jackslash
    3 years ago
    The last time I went to a movie theater (before the pandemic) I felt like getting popcorn. But the popcorn was $8. I refused to pay that much. I can make all the popcorn I can eat for about 25 cents at home. Netflix and TCM provide me with plenty of movies to watch.
  • gammanu95
    3 years ago
    With 8K HDR and 7:2 Dolby Atmos available at home, there's not much point in seeing movies in theaters, except for avoiding spoilers and not missing out on extended universe shit. Marvel really hit a gold mine with that.

SPOILER ALERT

As an example. Spider-Man No Way Home will be in theaters before Venom II is on PPV. There is a leak that the end credit sequences of Venom II establish those films in the Spider-Man cinematic EU, possibly even setting up Venom to appear in No Way Home. Now, I have to go see Venom (which I had not planned on), or risk missing out on the setup for NWH.
  • Player11
    3 years ago
    Is dumb.
  • Tetradon
    3 years ago
    I went to the theater for the first time in 5 years, a month ago.

Me, my guest, and one other patron were the only people in the theater.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion