tuscl

Backpage Mistrial

Lone_Wolf
Arizona
Mistrial in the Backpage trial.
Prosecution kept referencing trafficking without changing anyone for it.

https://www.azfamily.com/news/arizona-ba…

7 comments

• Papi_Chulo
    3 years ago
    Can't say I know the details; but on the surface it seemed like a witch-hunt and mostly people w/ some kinda agenda - seems pretty-common over the last 10-years to be throwing the "trafficking' label around fairly-loosely b/c it's loaded language meant to shock people and shock those that don't know the details - seems the anti-P4P faction will often throw the word "trafficking" w/ zero-proof just b/c they are anti-P4P and mainly anti men seeking P4P - many want to paint a picture that any woman, or most women, in the sex-biz are in it b/c they are being trafficked when it's likely a small %.
  • TheeOSU
    3 years ago
    ^

Most likely true.
  • mark94
    3 years ago
    It appears the Judge made the right decision.
  • drewcareypnw
    3 years ago
    The whole case is dumb because they’ll spend millions on the trial, not get a conviction or just get a light one, and in the meantime there’s 1000’s of other sites facilitating prostitution in much more direct ways. They won’t even create the chilling effect they’re going after. As if a government lawsuit would stop p4p.
  • Call.Me.Ishmael
    3 years ago
    It's possible that they prosecutors could have won in court if they'd concentrated on stuff that the BP founders actually did, rather than leaning on the child sex trafficking angle.

Personally, I don't miss BP at all. In the southern New England area, the women advertising on the site were primarily what a lot of locals called "slam pigs", and that was often a generous description.
  • bkkruined
    3 years ago
    kudos to the judge.

I doubt the prosecutor would enjoy showing up to fight a parking ticket and continually find all those murders committed mentioned...
  • Flyer78
    3 years ago
    I think we can all agree that there was some illegal stuff on Backpage, but this "trafficking" stuff is largely hysteria and idiocy.

Anytime that any news article is published about sex trafficking, every single time that a specific city anywhere in the country is mentioned, it is ALWAYS referred to as "the sex trafficking capital" or "one of the sex trafficking capitals" of the nation.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion