tuscl

Live bands/music in strip clubs

Tuesday, September 14, 2021 6:01 PM
Does this exist anymore? I've read about several rock bands that played gigs in strip clubs before they went on to become famous. I believe Van Halen in one example. I've seen it depicted in some old movies as well. A sleazy club with a greasy rock band providing the music. I've never seen a live band in a club first hand, but I'm sure some of our long time veteran members have. For those that have, what was it like? Did the band mostly play covers or did they actually do original songs as well? Were strip clubs ever treated like real music venues, where you'd have opening acts and headliners? Did people come for both the music and the girls? Did the band get blowjobs in the dressing room? And at one point did this start going away? I'm guessing in the late 90s or early 00s when it became so much easier to just play music using a computer versus hiring a band or even a jukebox.

8 comments

• Adamxz
    3 years ago
    One time we had a Sinatra cover sing at a party. Most strip club stages aren’t enough to accommodate a 4-piece band. Where would you put the drum kit? We have “celebrity” DJs as our way of changing with the times. I always wish I was a stripper in the 90s. Would have had the time of my life, making money to have fun and perform on stage! Now I’m over listening to my regular weep because I am on my 2837382972th excuse to avoid dating him & need a room, and can’t get up & leave without taking a strong gamble everyone else will be even more lame lmao.
  • twentyfive
    3 years ago
    I remember a live band at Solid Gold or Pure Platinum in Fort Lauderdale haven’t seen that in years and I do remember a few clubs back in the day having an emcee introduce the girls on stage not a DJ but an honest to goodness emcee
  • whodey
    3 years ago
    Trixie's in Louisville was a mix of strip club and live music venue until it closed a few years ago. Unfortunately they weren't very good at either in my opinion. The music venue and strip club were separated by doors but the music would bleed through and ruin the strip club vibe.
  • grand1511
    3 years ago
    The old Choice Gentleman's Club in Minneapolis would have a friend of the owner come in to "play" bongo drums to the DJ's music on weekends. Yes...it was quite weird. Decades ago I was in Downtown Cabaret in Minneapolis on a Sunday night when a hip-hop band played live for the dancers. There were actually too many people on a pretty big stage to keep straight all that was happening.
  • Papi_Chulo
    3 years ago
    Rock was the popular type music for young people in the 80s and 90s; def not what most young people listen to in the 21st-century - these days there may be wanna-be-rappers that are trying to get a name for themselves and may perform in some clubs, usually urban/black clubs AFAIK - the reason one does not see live bands is b/c they are not what's in style these days w/ young people - I've only seen rappers perform at a black-club once; and some of them seem to film videos in them.
  • shadowcat
    3 years ago
    It was quite normal in most Mexican clubs back in the 60's & 70's. My first trip to TJ back in 1961 all of the clubs had live music. I would describe it as "bump and grind". I visited club in a lot of Mexican cities back in the 60's & 70's before I was married and they all had live music and couples would come there to dance along side prostitutes plying their trade, We visited "El Ranchito" in La Paz, Mx back in that time frame and it was almost more like a night club. They had ventriloquists, jugglers, comedians and singers and hookers too. We were the only gringos.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    Lots of live acts in clubs. Guest rappers and djs aren't rare.
  • skibum609
    3 years ago
    In my 47 years of clubbing I have never seen, nor heard of this. I do have a great business idea for clubs regarding music, and am surprised no one has ever thought of it.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion