tuscl

Best Cities around the world where you don't need a car?(Bachelor lifestyle)

Hey guys,
I wanted to hear form you, about some of the best cities where you don't really need a car and you can walk everywhere and enjoy the cities cultural life.

23 comments

3 years ago
    Do you mean to live in or to vacation?
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    In the world? that depends on your ability to get a job residency etc. To visit any place with a decent public transportation system. Its an extremely broad question.

But honestly you can do it anywhere. Just live in a central area. Take buses and uber
  • shailynn
    3 years ago
    Go to Jacksonville, when you need a ride Rick Dugan will pick you up.
  • skibum609
    3 years ago
    I love my car, why would I live in a place with public transport?
  • goldmongerATL
    3 years ago
    Most European cities have trams and buses that will get you almost anywhere. Trains for longer trips. Public transport does not have the stigma over there like the US.
  • rattdog
    3 years ago
    it's a fair question.

there are people like myself who never even went for a driver's permit. living in an area like nyc owning a car isn't really that necessary.

also the money saved would be a big reason why not to own a car. gas, parking, insurance, inspection fees, visit(s) to the auto repair shop, etc - i'm assuming the average driver has to paying almost at least 6 grand a year for all of those expenses.

then of course there is the actual cost of car itself.
  • skibum609
    3 years ago
    I have no issues with public transportation and when we ski Utah we stay downtown Salt Lake and take the train and a bus to ski. I just love driving. Its entertainment and as outdoor people we tend to vacation in spots where the nearest public transportation is 300 miles away.
  • rattdog
    3 years ago
    however, cities like nyc that have transportation running 24-7 are not the norm at all. most cities i've travelled to public transportation stops running at about 9-10 PM.
  • Longball300
    3 years ago
    Of the cities I have been to.....Toronto.
  • shailynn
    3 years ago
    Think about it - in the USA there’s probably less than a dozen, maybe half a dozen cities where you can really do this - live life without a car. I know several people that live in LA and San Fran and they all own cars. They don’t use them much but they say it’s still necessary. The only place I know a fair amount of people that don’t own a car would be NYC, and most of the people there do own a car they just never use it. I have a friend that lives in Manhattan and stores his car somewhere over in Jersey. He justifies having it because he uses it in the hamptons in the summer.
  • Salty.Nutz
    3 years ago
    Downtown Phoenix. its changed a lot. Bars, museums, festivals the park, airport. if i was single i would live on top of the new Frys grocery store and get rid of my car
  • Studme53
    3 years ago
    London. Great public trans. I could live there for a little while. Like most great 1st World capitals, its expensive.
  • booji boy
    3 years ago
    Check this site out and start searching:

https://www.walkscore.com/

The best neighborhood that I know from experience is the French Quarter of New Orleans. Property/renting is expensive, but it's worth it IMO.
  • Jascoi
    3 years ago
    tj. seems a taxi, uber or bus is usually nearby.
  • CJKent_band
    3 years ago
    Milan, Italy
    Paris, France
    Berlin, Germany
    Tokyo Japan
    Mexico City, Mexico
    Oslo, Norway
    Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Honolulu, Hawaii USA
    Barcelona, Spain
    Lima, Peru
    New York, USA
    Washington, D.C. USA
  • shailynn
    3 years ago
    ^^^ all places you’ve never been, because they are all more than a block away from your mothers basement?
  • Mate27
    3 years ago
    Lisbon, Portugal or head east towards a French or Italian town near the Mediterranean.
  • Randy_Watson
    3 years ago
    Queens, New York
  • Papi_Chulo
    3 years ago
    @Beat100 keeps asking all these theoretical questions - I'm starting to think he's some teenage kid in Wisconsin doing some day-dreaming
  • jackslash
    3 years ago
    Manhattan
    Paris
    London

But you need to be wealthy to enjoy life in these places.
  • PredragDr
    3 years ago
    This topic is irrelevant unless you cannot afford a driver or have a medical condition preventing you from driving
  • mark94
    3 years ago
    From personal experience, London, Paris, Madrid, Barcelona, Rome, Prague meet all the criteria I’d want
    - public transport for getting around town
    - national railway for getting around the country
    - city divided into neighborhoods with local grocers and restaurants
    - access to modern health care
    - cultural activities and sports
    - open spaces/parks
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion