Chauvin Guilty on All Counts

Tetradon
I'll act nicer if you'll act smarter.
Tuesday, April 20, 2021 9:46 PM
Title says it all.

73 comments

• Warrior15
    3 years ago
    The jurors had their minds made up pretty quickly. This will obviously be appealed.
  • whodey
    3 years ago
    It is hard to watch that 9+ minute video and not make up your mind by the end of the video let alone after listening to weeks of testimony and then spending 10+ hours deliberating about it.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    Im weary. I think he will appeal. And while he is guilty they're trying to make an example of him. But one cop found guilty amongst all those proclaimed innocent doesn't mean much
  • gSteph
    3 years ago
    Yes, he is. Thank god for cell phones. Amen.
  • georgmicrodong
    3 years ago
    Saw that. I cheered. Now if only they'd do that for the fuckers that murdered Breonna Taylor.
  • misterorange
    3 years ago
    Funny how the Floyd family is thanking the protestors, politicians, supporters, the press, Jesus Christ and everyone else, except for the people who paid them over $50 million, tax free. No mention of that.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    Misterorange. Did you ever lose anyone who had a life insurance policy? Were you thankful they died so you could get the money?
  • twentyfive
    3 years ago
    This is a major inflection point, let's see what happens next.
  • skibum609
    3 years ago
    When the judge denied requests to sequester the jury before the trial started there was an appealable issue. When the City of Minneapolis paid the Floyd family the week before the trial began and the judge denied motions to continue; to sequester and for a change of venue, appealable issues were created; and when the Judge refused to sequester the jury or pause the trial after Maxine Walter's calls for violence, an appealable issue was created. Boring and yet interesting legal note. The charge of 3rd degree murder is up on appeal in Minnesota in the case of the black police officer who murdered a white woman. The allegation is that if you go by the drafted law, you have to prove "others" were endangered by the actions, not "other". If their Court rules the law is vague that charge, which was added late, thereby creating another appealable issue, then one charge is gone and the question becomes whether or not this unlawful charge tainted the jury, requiring a new trial. I shed no tears for Derek Chauvin and no tears for George Floyd.
  • misterorange
    3 years ago
    @2ICEE No, not really man, it was a $100,000 policy and there was a $170,000 mortgage on my mom's house. $50 million would have come in handy.
  • Cashman1234
    3 years ago
    It would seem difficult after watching the video of George Floyd with Derek Chauvin kneeling across his back - to find Chauvin not guilty. I did not watch the trial coverage closely - so I didn’t see any evidence that would offset that awful 9 minute video. That being said, George Floyd is no martyr. If you think he is - you are perverting the definition of the word. A person who gives his life for their beliefs or their religion is a martyr. There are many nameless Christian martyrs who are far better humans - and who gave selflessly. George Floyd was a criminal who was killed by a horrible cop.
  • misterorange
    3 years ago
    ^^ Well said, Cashman.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    The trial isn't about whether or not he killed Floyd. Its about whether or not he's guilty of the charges against him. Thats why I'm weary of what the outcome will be after he files an appeal.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    And Floyd's character is irrelevant. Cops can't conduct extrajudicial executions
  • Tetradon
    3 years ago
    George Floyd wasn't a good person, but nor was a man named Ernesto Miranda, because of whom police must tell people their rights when arrested. Something good can come out of them. From my knowledge of the case and the law, justice was done today. Now for the sentencing and inevitable appeal.
  • misterorange
    3 years ago
    I know there's a few lawyers on here. Would one of you explain something to me? As I understand it, this cop was convicted of 2nd degree murder, 3rd degree murder, and 2nd degree manslaughter. If one agrees that he was guilty of anything, he committed ONE killing. It seems he's guilty of three murders now, like if I stole a car I'm guilty of auto theft, and also the theft of the seats and the gas in the tank. What the fuck does that even mean? I don't understand why he wasn't convicted of one charge of homicide, at the appropriate level of malice.
  • skibum609
    3 years ago
    This case was about George Floyd and Derek Chauvin and no one, nor anything else.
  • skibum609
    3 years ago
    MisterOrange - I have no idea. Two of the charges would be lesser included charges here and would only come into play if he was acquitted on the most serious.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    Mister orange. Criminal charges are always piled on like that to help ensure a conviction and to pile on prison time. Im not sure justice was really served. I think he was made an example of while countless others get off for the same things. It was a show trial to say see were doing something. When it reality so far its an empty gesture
  • Tetradon
    3 years ago
    ^ Would you rather Chauvin walked?
  • misterorange
    3 years ago
    ^^ Exactly. 2ICEE got the best possible outcome and he says it's bullshit. He's in Maxine Water's camp that says he should be guilty of 1st degree murder, even though it wasn't charged. The only outcome acceptable to these people would be if he got the electric chair without any trial at all.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    He can still walk depending on the appeal process. As is he can get between 4 to 10 for murder. Thats not justice
  • Tetradon
    3 years ago
    ^ You got the best you were going to get today.
  • Uprightcitizen
    3 years ago
    For those that just want blood the point of Law is justice, not revenge. Ghandi (himself a lawyer) said it best "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind"
  • skibum609
    3 years ago
    In order for anything to be piled on the sentence would have to be ordered "on and after". If he just gets sentenced, they all run concurrent; at least here.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    There is a difference between justice and the letter of the law
  • skibum609
    3 years ago
    Of course there is: the law is objective; justice subjective. That's why we have laws.
  • Lil Jayne Doe
    3 years ago
    Honestly none of this matters if there isnt any change from it, and not just by how some officers act towards colored people. There needs to be real deep rooted change, and sadly I feel this will never happen.... Theres been change, however slowly overtime , but its seems the majority just keep hating on events from the past and like to hold onto it, favorite game is the blame game of things happened before almost anyone complaining about it was even born, acting like they lived through it, when it's just the hate passed down from generation to generation as to "this is how you are suppose to think and feel about our people" this can go for any race, people are products of their environment. Itll take so many people, maybe too many people to all break that cycle to move forward enough to cause change. However I feel years upon years upon years from now, many will still be angry over what happened to George Floyd and use that to promote anger for their race, just like how many claimed their anger last summer was due to topics of how they and their families were treated from slavery. Slavery ended, yet people in 2020 were using it to justify their actions last summer during the craziness. I'm not saying what happened was right to George Floyd, I'm not saying derek was innocent, he was a crap cop and clearly a crappier human being, that even doing what he did to a man who by no means was innocent deserved what happen to him. All this noise surrounding it is for nothing if things wont actually change, and I mean on both sides... of everything.... cops vs civilians and whites vs blacks, because that's what this was made into, job and race instead of right and wrong, the moment color was brought into it the reason for justice became muddled, how much of this was justice for George or a platform for individuals to spew anger and hate while complaining about those topics being what they dislike and want change from ?!?? Do you think there would have been this loud of a cry for change in how the police act if it was a black cop who did this? I'd bravely say probably not, its get just as much anger as Monday mornings in Chicago when theres gun violence by the dozens and they take eachother out, theres no anger, and protests and marches when a black gang members purposely go out to kill eachother. Wheres Rev Sharpton preaching and praying for that change and justice for the innocent caught in line of fire , trying to back a new law for those victims??? When they start saying white people this ababd white people that, they have now shown their own racism, while trying to stand for change trying to lump all white people into being racists. Look beyond color, see matters for the issues they are and cause, may be easier to find a more fixable solution instead of a tug a war on which race does and did what to the other. No Justice No Peace ..... Justice was served today The ball is in their court... If there is no peace now.... That will tell us alot on how much they really want change or not..
  • mark94
    3 years ago
    The Hennepin County Medical Examiner said that George Floyd died as a result of a drug overdose with heart disease being a contributing factor. He did not die of asphyxiation. Shouldn’t that introduce a textbook example of reasonable doubt ? I’m not saying Chauvin did nothing wrong. But, how do you convict someone for 2nd degree murder when the victim died of a drug overdose ?
  • Papi_Chulo
    3 years ago
    If Chauvin is able to get good lawyers going-forward, then I doubt this is the last we'll hear of this – no way Chauvin was afforded a fair trial – this was justice by mob-rule: + from the get-go there were potential jurors that stated they were afraid to be on the jury – at the very least this trial should have been moved from Minneapolis if not Minnesota altogether + media and politicians were calling for a guilty verdict vs for a fair-trial + there was def jury intimidation and I’m certain that was a big-reason for the verdict if not the biggest reason + you had the city giving a settlement before the trial started – politicians like Maxine Waters who’s not even from Minnesota showing up to basically send a signal to the jury – as well as master race-baiters like Sharpton and others – and master-opportunist-Biden weighing in before the trial This was a trial with a pre-determined outcome in-spite any facts – this trial is not about “justice” – this trial was about appeasing the mob and the mob sees this as a first-step to what they really want which is an overthrow of this country – they wanted Chauvin’s head as a mean’s to getting the country’s head – I assume this will lead to increased crime via police being more hands-off than ever and looking after themselves instead of looking after crime and offenders. Ashley Babbit was unarmed and shot-to-death at the capital – the cop’s name was never revealed nor much of an investigation AFAIK – one can argue that this was a consequence of her actions but at the end of the day if it would have been an unarmed black-person getting shot the reaction would have been very-different (not to mention the cop that shot Babbit was black – i.e. if it would have been reversed and it was a white cop killing an unarmed black woman the coverage and actions after-the-fact would have been very different).
  • Papi_Chulo
    3 years ago
    “… Honestly none of this matters if there isnt any change from it, and not just by how some officers act towards colored people …” That’s a false-narrative – this is just repeating what CNN says. The *facts* are that more white people get killed by police than black people – and more cops get killed every year, than black people by police – and more-often-than-not when a black person has a bad outcome when dealing w/ police they were often resisting arrest and which will usually not have a good outcome no matter your color. More often than not people that have a bad outcome when dealing w/ police are often career-criminals and often resisting arrest – George Floyd has been in-and-out of jail 7 times going back to the 90s – any person with a history of crime will have more run-ins w/ police – policing can always be improved as w/ anything else, but we have a much bigger crime problem in this country than a police problem.
  • misterorange
    3 years ago
    ^^ Right, Papi Hey, if I leave my car running while I run into a convenience store, and it gets stolen, it doesn't make it right what happened, but my insurance company would probably have a different take on that.
  • misterorange
    3 years ago
    I did something stupid and got robbed. Resisting arrest is sort of the same.
  • Papi_Chulo
    3 years ago
    I haven't followed the details of the trial - but per what @Mark94 posted, I'm not sure it was proven that Chauvin's actions were what killed Floyd - I'm not even sure if kneeling on arrestee to subdue him is against the Minneapolis police guidelines? I think the biggest thing that came out of this trial is that mob-violence and jury-intimidation works and it will only escalate going-forward - the rioters and race-baiters were given what they wanted and it only stands to reason they will ratchet-up even more especially w/ all the cover they are getting from the Democratic party and the media.
  • goldmongerATL
    3 years ago
    The agitators are now wanting to protest that it took 11 months from the death for a guilty verdict. I know that the machinery of law can be illogical. I always thought the reason someone is charged with murder 2, murder 3 and man 2 was so the jury could convict of the most serious charge that the evidence supported. I guess I was wrong.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    If there hadn't been protests he would have walked. I hope he gets the maximum. In California he'd get up to 40. A minimum of 15.
  • twentyfive
    3 years ago
    You folks do realize there are a few more trials to come, no I'm not talking about Chauvin's inevitable appeals, I am referring to the other police officers that were part of this senseless murder, they have also been charged and there will be verdicts in those trials as well, and last but not least this isn't a cause to celebrate, this is really a terrible tragedy for all involved parties.
  • mark94
    3 years ago
    The prosecution found medical experts that said Floyd died of asphyxiation but the official coroner’s report cited drugs as the primary cause of death. Additionally, while the most frequently played video seemed to show Chauvin kneeling on Floyd’s neck, other videos showed he was actually kneeling on his shoulder, which is written police policy when someone resisted arrest. After all this, why would anyone want to be a cop in Minneapolis. Or any other blue city, for that matter.
  • mark94
    3 years ago
    Incidentally, police called for paramedics within 1 minute after they put him on the ground. Then, called again two minutes later to tell them to speed up their response. Odd behavior if police were trying to murder Floyd which is what Chauvin was convicted of, not just manslaughter.
  • NinaBambina
    3 years ago
    "Odd behavior if police were trying to murder Floyd which is what Chauvin was convicted of, not just manslaughter." Not really because he was ultimately not charged with 1st degree murder which would have been premeditated. The murder charges he got only needed to prove his unlawful actions were the basis of what led to George's death. Even if there were other factors that could have contributed. If someome is dying of cancer, you still can't shoot them in the head. Same as, "he might have died but we killed him faster anyway" isn't a defense.
  • Tetradon
    3 years ago
    Yes, any juror who doesn't live under a rock would know the riotous consequences of a "not guilty." Yes, the likes of BLM and Maxine Waters tried to intimidate the jury, in the same way the KKK did 100 years ago. Yes, the media slanted their coverage. That said, I think the facts still supported the guilty verdicts. That's all the matters.
  • Hank Moody
    3 years ago
    @mark94 “The Hennepin County Medical Examiner said that George Floyd died as a result of a drug overdose with heart disease being a contributing factor. He did not die of asphyxiation.” FAKE NEWS The chief medical examiner of Hennepin county who signed the death certificate testified at Chauvin’s trial and said Chauvin killed him. The heart conditions and drugs were complicating factors, but his death was a homicide caused by Chauvin. If you want to be technical about it, he testified that the hold stopped Floyd’s heart and not asphyxiation. In either case, all the medical experts, including the Hennepin county ME testified Chauvin killed Floyd, they just had different opinions on how he killed him. [view link]
  • mark94
    3 years ago
    “. If someome is dying of cancer, you still can't shoot them in the head. “ That analogy doesn’t really fit here since, according to the medical examiner, the knee on the shoulder played little or no role in Floyd’s death. A better analogy might be spitting on a dying cancer patient. Inappropriate and something that deserves condemnation,maybe even criminal, but not murder.
  • mark94
    3 years ago
    ^ Baker did not include a lack of oxygen, or asphyxia, as a cause of Floyd's death. A direct quote from your NBC article.
  • twentyfive
    3 years ago
    Please Mark stop the stupid We all watched the video we saw the trial you need to stop the gaslighting, it’s so tiring
  • Hank Moody
    3 years ago
    I said that. Baker said chauvin killed him. “Homicide.” How he died doesn’t change that it was murder.
  • jackslash
    3 years ago
    Lock him up and throw away the key.
  • misterorange
    3 years ago
    "If there hadn't been protests he would have walked. I hope he gets the maximum." 2ICEE you made the smartest and dumbest comment on this thread. You're basically saying the rule of law had less bearing on the verdict than the mob rule and threats of violence. That's most likely true. Then you go on to say you support that kind of justice.
  • Cashman1234
    3 years ago
    In case you wanted an astute legal opinion - or one of an unconvicted murderer - the Juice is on the case! [view link]
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    Mister orange. The jury's decision was shaped by the protests and consequences of Chauvins actions. Chauvin knew he was going to kill Floyd and the time he took to do it proves it. It wasn't a split second decision. It was a methodical act. And he should face the proper legal repercussions. Personally I think its just a show trial. A jury verdict gives the illusion of justice and appeased the nation. Meanwhile the judge and perhaps an appeal will ensure that Chauvin just gets a slap on the wrist.
  • Papi_Chulo
    3 years ago
    If George Floyd would have been white there likely wouldn't have even been a trial - just look at what happened with Ashley Babbit at the capital - a 5'2 unarmed white-woman shot in the neck and killed - yet not a beep nor any investigation - imagine if that would have been an unarmed 5'2 black-woman; the cries of white-supremacy and calling for the cop's head would have been unending if it was a white-cop (the cop that shot Babbit was a black-cop and pretty-much no one knows his name but a white cop's name is immediately splattered all over the news nonstop). Now wait and see what happens w/ that lady-cop that accidentally shot that kid that was resisting arrest and had a warrant out for his arrest - the mob is gonna call for her head also and it will likely be delivered on a silver-platter b/c this is where we are headed in this country.
  • Papi_Chulo
    3 years ago
    Floyd was in poor heart-health not to mention loaded w/ drugs in his system - if I heard correctly he had to be taken to a hospital during a prior arrest - and a while back his GF had to take him to to the hospital b/c of drugs he had taken - I don't think there is anything to say it was the knee that killed him; I don't believe that was proven especially according to the autopsy - it is apparent Floyd had been playing w/ his life w.r.t. drugs - he could have just as easily died being transported in the back of a car in his agitated state and poor health or trying to run away from the cops - 99% of people wold have not died w.r.t. Chauvin's restrain; it just so happened Floyd was in very poor health and loaded w/ drugs - anything, or nothing, could have caused his death given the state he was in and given he seemed to have flirted w/ death in the past due to drugs.
  • Studme53
    3 years ago
    Yes Papi - the unarmed woman shot at the Capitol puts it in sharp contrast and shows the hypocrisy. I assume to Capitol cop who shot her was black. The investigation cleared him and found he was justified in shooting her. The implication is all the Capitol cops could have opened fire on everyone in the Capitol bldg. Count on this - BLM or Antifa will storm a DC government bldg - maybe not the Capitol or White House, but maybe FBI, Dept of Justice, Supreme Court, IRS, Treasury, Library of Congress. See what the reaction is if a unarmed black person gets shot.
  • Studme53
    3 years ago
    The leftists in our country come into power on a cyclical basis. Then normal people get feed up by something like riots, crime or a Ruby Ridge type incident and they’re relegated back to ineffectual liberalism.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    Babbit took part in an insurgency and took over the capitol. Floyd's health is irrelevant. Hastening death is murder
  • Papi_Chulo
    3 years ago
    "... BLM or Antifa will storm a DC government bldg - maybe not the Capitol ..." Progressives took over the Wisconsin state-house back in 2011 - and they rushed the chambers where the Kavanaugh hearing was taking place - plus they have repeatedly attacked gov buildings in Portland, Seattle, and other areas - as I posted in a previous comment, all this is happening b/c the Dems are not only allowing it, but supporting it b/c it's part of their multiprong attack on our democracy so they can concentrate all the power in their hands (courts; police; military; media; big-tech/big-business; etc). The Dems will condone w/e the left does and cover for them; and go after anyone and everyone on the right – look at what happened on Jan 6 at the capital – by no means was it right – but they went after those people with all they had including people that were not even inside the capital and arrested dozens of people and have even denied them bail and they are still sitting in jail for what many law-experts consider trespassing charges – yet antifa and blm have been burning and looting and attacking people for a year and somehow they can manage to arrest hardly anyone and let alone convict; the few that get arrested are usually let off w/ no charges – it’s clear what the Dem party is trying to do.
  • Papi_Chulo
    3 years ago
    "... Floyd's health is irrelevant ..." Of course it's relevant - it shows he died of a drug-induced heart-attack and not b/c of the restraint - again if Floyd was white there wouldn't have been a beep
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    Papi chulo thats not true. Even if your scenario were true which it isnt the fact that the death was hastened it would be murder. What if scenarios are best suited for creative writing and poetry. Not the law.
  • Papi_Chulo
    3 years ago
    A cop shot-and-killed a teenage girl in Ohio that was attacking another girl w/ a knife - LeFake (LeBron) James went ahead and posted the cop's picture on twitter with a caption that said "You're Next" - that is how emboldened these fuckers are now - not withstanding that a couple of days prior also in Ohio a 13 y/o girl was stabbed to death by another girl b/f the cops had a chance to intervene - I wonder if one of LeBron's kid's was being attacked w/ a huge-fucking-knife if he'd prefer for police to just stand by and yell verbal commands - we don't have a cop problem - we have an out-of-control violence-problem which is evident by all the bodies being reported in the news of many major cities.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    That has nothing to do with the legal system
  • Cashman1234
    3 years ago
    Papi I saw the footage of that shooting - and it appeared justified as the girl was wielding a knife and going after others. I wish LeBron would stop throwing gas on the fire. His rhetoric doesn’t help the situation. In my view, there are neighborhoods that are usually shit holes, where they call the cops over very stupid stuff. If you want to get the cops involved over everything, they likely will handle it differently than offering everyone milk and cookies.
  • mark94
    3 years ago
    Some stats to put things in perspective: Washington Post’s database of fatal police shootings showed 14 unarmed Black victims and 25 unarmed white victims in all of 2019. Last weekend, 27 people were shot in Chicago, including 3 fatalities. By contrast, there are an average of 27 attacks on police officers in the US with deadly weapons EVERY DAY. That works out to roughly 10,000 attacks on police officers every year with a gun or knife.
  • mark94
    3 years ago
    The perspective is about media attention and a narrative that being forced on us. Every year, there are hundreds of cases where a black is killed by police. In the vast majority of these cases, the person killed is armed and an active threat to police and the general public. In a minority of these cases, maybe one or two dozen, the person killed is unarmed and the police shooting is worthy of scrutiny. Meanwhile, there are thousands of people who die every year as a result of black on black crime. And, there are about 10,000 cases every year where a police officer is assaulted with a deadly weapon and dozens of officers are killed every year. The media has decided that the only part of this story worthy of detailed coverage is when an unarmed black person dies at the hands of police. That’s a story worth covering but the real story of violence is much more complex. There is more than one narrative.
  • skibum609
    3 years ago
    In 2020 18 unarmed black men were killed 27 unarmed white men were killed. Statistically this is less than meaningless and the only reason the assholes on the left keep bleating "systemic racism" is they want to tear down this country and have a democratic party in control like in China, their role model. The Federal Government in power is the enemy of the Constitution and this country.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    Its not the polices job to conduct extrajudicial executions.
  • misterorange
    3 years ago
    @2ICEE "Chauvin knew he was going to kill Floyd and the time he took to do it proves it." Yeah okay, he "knew" he was going to kill him, and he wanted to do it with half a dozen people recording it on video? All those ICEEs you've been drinking must have given you permanent brain freeze.
  • Hank Moody
    3 years ago
    So Chauvin violates Minneapolis police procedure with his knee hold (per testimony of the Minneapolis chief of police), Floyd tells him he can’t breathe, Floyd has stopped struggling or resisting which was the original reason for the hold, and then Floyd stops breathing or having a pulse, yet Chauvin holds him down for an additional two minutes and the argument is Chauvin didn’t intend to kill him? That’s ridiculous.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    Exactly. Chauvin was in control the whole time and gauged Floyd's reactions. When he went beyond restricting him. The intent became murder.
  • skibum609
    3 years ago
    You know zero about the law of intent Icee; absolutely zero. Chauvin got what he deserved and George Floy got what he had been asking for his whole, violent, useless life.
  • misterorange
    3 years ago
    @Jimmy I think we all agree this cop is an asshole. Overly aggressive, egotistical, angry... maybe even sadistic. But KNOWING he was being recorded on video and in front of a whole group of witnesses, you think he WANTED that guy to die under his knee?
  • twentyfive
    3 years ago
    ^ who really knows what the cop thought, maybe he didn’t think at all, doesn’t matter TBH I’m glad the guy is in jail he doesn’t belong on any police force, too bad we can’t get rid of all bad cops this country doesn’t need this upheaval we are at each other’s throats daily over a lot less.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    3 years ago
    Skibum his willingness to carry out the crime is obvious. You can argue whether its general or constructive but it's there
  • Hank Moody
    3 years ago
    Yeah O, I don’t know whether he wanted Floyd to die, but he intended to kill him. I’ve seen too many stupid inexplicable things on video to get wrapped up in exactly what the perp Chauvin was thinking. I just know he should go to jail for murder for doing what he did. One of the core duties of being a cop is arresting people who don’t want to be arrested and doing it in a manner that doesn’t injure a bystander, the cop or the perp. Maybe Chauvin lost control, but his job is to make that arrest without losing control. Or maybe he’s just a cold blooded killer. Either way, he belongs in and is headed to jail.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion