tuscl

So the PRO ACT passed...

https://www.npr.org/2021/03/09/975259434…

And Biden is *definitely* all for it
https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room…

Reason magazine does a pretty good job of summing up the same criticisms and concerns I have. Not having as many options to move about clubs at-will is in my biased opinion, definitely a bummer. And takes away a lot of incentive to even dance in the first place...
https://reason.com/2021/03/11/california…
——
So the way I see it, it’s not completely established yet until the senate makes a decision. But Biden may just push it through anyways so at this point the PRO Act will most likely pass. But strip clubs, being strip clubs, will probably be one or the first to have to follow these rules.. And it probably won’t be reversed once that happens.

What do you guys think will most likely happen? Californians themselves reversed a lot of AB5. So with that as a precedent, how much of a grip this can have? Currently I’m imagining that if implemented at the federal level, different states will enforce this differently. But as time goes on, weak enforcement could very well become stronger enforcement and this could effect things everywhere. I’m mostly looking at this bill from the perspective of strip clubs, but I’m interesting in hearing about different points of views of other industries that could also be affected.

11 comments

• Sgtsnowman
    4 years ago
    This law was aimed at dragging Uber and Lyft and some other of those companies into the fold for the unions. When you get Uber or Lyft you get all their many thousands of drivers in one shot. Strip clubs with the exception of the Deja Vu and Rhino chains are individual businesses. They will have to go after them one by one. They will be much further down the list of places that get the knock on the door because they represent fewer individuals for the effort needed to run them down.

The feds want big. The unions want big.
  • rickdugan
    4 years ago
    ===> "What do you guys think will most likely happen?"

Nothing. This has zero chance of advancing in the Senate. The House is spinning its wheels passing political wish list crap instead of advancing legislation that might actually have bipartisan support.
  • nicespice
    4 years ago
    I am definitely rooting for the second prediction to be true. I still have my doubts, and suspect it will just keep getting pushed until the opposition gives up. I guess it depends on whether Biden can either mobilize his party well enough or just grab enough power to disregard checks and balances without enough people putting him in check. Trucking and ride share would definitely have a good fight tho. Hopefully I’m just being too pessimistic.

That is a good point about wanting to go after the big corporations vs small independents...I guess I was just assuming it would be another weapon local city halls would use as an excuse to get it going after strip clubs.
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    ^ Local city halls have plenty of weapons to go after strip clubs, this would be rather unwieldy to use against small and micro sized businesses, the cost of applying this type of coercion would be prohibitive, compare it to tax prosecutions, they won't be bothered until the associated fines and penalties make it profitable and the cost of administering a rule intended to go after public companies, is astronomical, OTH just like the RICO laws eventually some smart lawyer will try to apply this to a private lawsuit, but at this point I sincerely doubt there's a large application for these kind of rules
  • Muddy
    4 years ago
    Interesting let’s we what happens
  • Sgtsnowman
    4 years ago
    Yeah, I got a feeling you might see some clubs get shut down because a dancer decides a lawsuit will be her payday, wins the suit, and then the club just closes it's doors. Unintended consequences from something like this could be huge. There was an attempt to force unionize home health care workers a while back.

This might also be a swing at them.
  • Uprightcitizen
    4 years ago
    God love the USA Republic and our constitution Crazy shit gets proposed by the house on a regular basis and gets pummeled by the time it gets to law. Good luck getting this one through the house.

• Uprightcitizen
    4 years ago
    ...through the senate
  • nicespice
    4 years ago
    —>“I don't think they're an important group for lawmakers and probably most people who vote for those lawmakers. “

That is correct and when a bunch of other industries were reversing course and getting exemptions from AB5 in California, California clubs stayed the same and it’s just going to stay with an employer model. Supposedly, a few clubs in LA quietly just ignored the laws and never switched, but neither the clubs nor the dancers from those clubs are advertising where they are. And who can blame them when stuff like the pro act is getting pushed not too long after.

Yes on the national level, the real fight is basically between Biden and Co political power vs the power of, for example, Uber and Amazon. And the reason that I consider strip clubs and dancer status relevant, even if you would rather not, is because this thread is on a strip club discussion board and not a politics discussion board (even if it’s been tough to distinguish the two at times for the past couple of years.)

—>“Actually question for somewhat older PLs, was it like this for most jobs in let's say 70s or so? Did people really have better purchasing power and stability back then? Or is it just nostalgia people are pumping”

Ooh goodness. If answered, may lead to a whole can of worms discussion of topics other than just unions. Might as well just write the eulogy for this thread right now.

• Dave_Anderson
    4 years ago
    Yes there is a need to he sexist in 2021 and beyond.
  • nicespice
    4 years ago
    Well on the plus side, I found out my concern about Biden trying to use executive power to override any decision is most likely unfounded. I didn’t realize he actually has a good track record of respecting legislative process.
    https://www.cato.org/blog/why-congress-m…

It’s a bit reassuring that this does depend on the senate more than anything.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion