tuscl

Strip-club petitions far short of valid signatures [Ohio]

yndy
Maryland
Sunday, September 23, 2007 1:45 PM
Strip-club petitions far short of valid signatures Referendum requires 115,936 more, Brunner says Friday, September 21, 2007 5:04 PM By Alan Johnson THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH Opponents of tighter restrictions on strip clubs and adult entertainment have fallen 115,936 valid signatures short of having enough to qualify for the Nov. 6 ballot, Secretary of State Jennifer Brunner said today. Brunner's tabulation of signatures checked by individual county boards of election showed that the Vote No on Issue 1 Committee collected 125,430 valid signatures of registered voters who support putting the referendum to a public vote. They need 241,366. Once the committee has been officially notified by Brunner, it will have 10 days to collect more signatures. Once those newly submitted names are reviewed, Brunner will determine whether the total number suffices to make the ballot. A stunningly low rate of valid signatures plagued the committee in most large urban areas, including Franklin County. The board of elections here tossed more than two of every three names, mostly because the signers were not registered or were registered at the wrong address. The referendum would determine the fate of Senate Bill 16, the Community Defense Act, passed in June by the General Assembly. The law established a “no touch” rule for dancers in strip clubs and clamped a midnight closing time on all adult-oriented businesses. However, the Vote No on Issue 1 Committee, a group backed primarily by owners of adult-entertainment businesses, gathered signatures to put the law to a public vote.

2 comments

• casualguy
    17 years ago
    If over 100,000 people said they wanted something, it seems like there might be a lot more interest in it. The only real way to know is to put it on the ballot anyway and let the people decide. Sounds like a crummy way to have a democracy if the people can't vote on an issue because of some bureaucratic rule. If the people can't vote on the issues, is it really even a democracy? I guess if enough people vote out of office those that are there now, things will change. I wonder what rule will come up next if people don't defend this one? Maybe a new no touch rule saying a husband or wife can't touch the other spouse if they recently had an argument or else they will be fined and put in jail as soon as somebody turns them in or they are overseen touching in public after an argument. Might require over 2 million registered signatures to put it on the ballot to vote against it as well with the current people in office. One little innocent looking law can lead to others if the people of Ohio want a law for everything. my two cent rant.
  • zipman68
    17 years ago
    Too bad - I used to really enjoy some of the Columbus strip clubs when I lived there (7 years ago). There was a girl that worked at Private Dancer (and Toy Box before that) that I loved. Columbus could be a truly great scene if they just laid off and allowed full nude clubs with full contact lap dances. What kind of wacko twisted cruller doesn't want to allow fully nude lap dances? There is nothing more beautiful in the world than a hot naked stripper in your lap!
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion