tuscl

Congratulations Peyton Manning and Other 2021 HOF Inductees

minnow
Any place that interests me.
Congratulations to Peyton Manning for being selected for induction into Pro Football Hall of Fame in his 1st year of eligibility. Is anyone surprised ? He may not be the GOAT, but has very impressive credentials wrt yardage, TD passes, comeback victories. So far he is the only QB to win 2 Super Bowls with different teams. (OK, we know that the Denver defense really won the 2016 SB for the Broncos, but still...) I'm rooting for the later to change Sunday when (hopefully) the Bucs win the Super Bowl.

On the other extreme, I'm gratified to see Tom Lynch finally get his due after falling short on multiple occasions as a finalist. It will be interesting to see if he ultimately gets inducted as a GM in addition to player induction.

Other players inducted were well deserving, but Charles Woodson a bit more so. He just oozed dominance as a defensive back.

OK, your turn on comments.....

9 comments

• mike710
    4 years ago
    I think you meant John Lynch. I was like who the hell is Tom Lynch!

At least the football hall of fame doesn't seem to be as much of a popularity contest as the MLB hall of fame.
  • minnow
    4 years ago
    OOps, I meant John Lynch. Thanks for the catch, mike710.
  • Cashman1234
    4 years ago
    I agree Peyton is a deserving hall of famer. He has impressive stats, and he was a great player. He seems to be a class act.
  • Hank Moody
    4 years ago
    Peyton was a lock for HOF. There is a double standard with baseball. Peyton would’ve never made it into the baseball HOF with all the HGH allegations around his neck injury.
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    I'm glad Peyton made it in to the HOF, he deserved that honor
  • bdirect
    4 years ago
    Tampa Tom should follow Mannings steps, retire after the game today, or he will be all beat up like Manning,so both will end career with superbowl wins
  • Huntsman
    4 years ago
    No doubt Peyton Manning is deserving.
  • TheeOSU
    4 years ago
    Yes Manning deserves it but I'm more concerned with who was omitted.

Clay Matthews played linebacker 19 years at a high level. His stats are beyond many LBs already inducted and his longevity is unmatched at that physical position.
    He had 6.5 sacks in his 19th year.

This was Matthews’ final year of eligibility as a modern era player. He now moves to the senior pool, which is for players retired more than 25 years who have had their 20-year modern era candidacy expire. There is just one senior finalist each year, and that player must receive 80 percent of the vote to be inducted so now Mathews' odds of being inducted have taken a huge hit.
    IMO when considering the HOF it's a travesty that Matthews has never been inducted!
  • minnow
    4 years ago
    Absolutely no doubt that Peyton Manning would make it into HOF on 1st try. But as OSU pointed out, not everyone makes it on the 1st try, or multiple repeat tries. It seems like offensive players, especially QB's are treated most kindly on 1st ballot. Linemen and kickers don't fare so well.
    This was John Lynch's year (after falling short at least 2 - 3 occasions as finalist), but unfortunately not Clay Matthews.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion