tuscl

Ever been refused admittance to a strip club due to your attire?

shadowcat
Atlanta suburb

I did once at Thee Whiskey Tavern in Columbia SC back in Dec 2010. I had planned on being the first customer to review the club but I was not allowed in. She said that a membership card was $5/year. I was ready to take one for the team. $5 ain't nothing. I was curious. Then she said there is a problem. "your attire does not meet our dress code" I was wearing sweats and tennis shoes. So I did do the first review. I also did the last review for the club. Nov 10, 2017 when the county shut down the club.

I noticed that Rick Dugan also did one of the 21 reviews. His 3 piece suit didn't help him. :)

22 comments

• the mighty quinn
    4 years ago
    I haven't but got to witness someone getting refused. The guy was ahead of me in the entry way. The hostess said "I'm sorry but you can't come into the club wearing just your boxers."
  • georgmicrodong
    4 years ago
    I have not.

I did, however, witness a couple of African Americans being denied entry to one of the local clubs because of their dress. There's a sign on the front of the building, before you even get inside, with the rules, and these guys violated about half of them.

They they tried to get the local news to believe that the AA owner and AA bartender were racist because they wouldn't let them in.
  • FTS
    4 years ago
    Yes, I was wearing very thin athletic pants that were all black except for a small Reebok logo near the top. My shirt usually covers it, and in the dim light these pants look like dress pants, especially when I'm also wearing dress shoes and buttoned shirt. But, unfortunately, bouncer saw the logo and realized they were athletic pants, and didn't let me in.
  • shadowcat
    4 years ago
    I did see a black guy get refused at Follies for wearing a white t-shirt but they sold him one to put on over it.
  • mikeym
    4 years ago
    This is the only club I ever saw that was attached to a motel- Budget Inn. You rang a buzzer to enter.

In Florida, we have two that are kind of close: Bottom's Up Club in New Smyrna Beach and Diamond Dolls in Clearwater.

Not the best looking women but VHM.
  • Muddy
    4 years ago
    Not yet but I don’t have the cajones to try go to club in Basketball shorts. I give some of you guys a lot of credit.
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    I heard about a Scotsman that was denied entry while wearing a kilt
  • PutaTester
    4 years ago
    Never been refused. I have worn sweat pants made to look like grey slacks. They are expensive, but the girls appreciate the soft texture and elasticity (and so do I). In some Rancho Cordova and Reno clubs I have worn loose shorts and not been denied. Indeed when I wore long pants because I had come straight from work, a few ATFs said that I should change into the shorts before coming to the club...for obvious reasons. I now wear pants with zip-off legs.

Was stopped at the door at Larry Flint's Hustler Club in SF, I was wearing black 5.11 cargo pants. They have a dressy look, but the doorman insisted that I should be wearing slacks. He called the head bouncer, who said my attire was acceptable.

• TFP
    4 years ago
    I was denied entry into Sapphire in Vegas on a Saturday night for wearing the exact stuff I was wearing during daytime in 113 degree weather: Shorts, t-shirt, and sneakers. They said I had to be wearing more classy attire. Funny part is, I was wearing the same exact type of outfit when I was admitted in with no problems the Friday night before.

Also was denied into a local favorite club in SF on New Years Eve. For wearing the same type of outfit I wore in there all the other times. Apparently they had some 'classy' vibe going on and you needed to be dressed up to get in. C'est la vie.

Never been denied anywhere else.
  • wallanon
    4 years ago
    A few places didn't want to let me in because of what was wearing, but I usually have extra clothes so that's an easy fix. Hundreds of clubs in random places and there's going to be something. Sometimes it's a collar. Sometimes it's pants. Sometimes it's a hat. If a club ever said the issue was clothes, that really was the issue in my experience.
  • IfIGottaBeDamned
    4 years ago
    I’ve forgotten which club it was, but I was denied entrance because I was wearing a light, zip up jacket with a hood, casual collared shirt and khaki slacks. (It was a chilly autumn evening.) “No hoodies allowed.” I return the jacket to my car and allowed to enter.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    I’ve been refused 2.5 times that I can remember:

1) Baby Dolls Dallas circa 2000 (at their old location pre-2007)
    I was wearing khakis; dress-shoes; and a nice t-shirt that just happened not to have a collar but it was a nice t-shirt nevertheless – it was a busy weekend eve and I was standing in line waiting to pay my cover – as it was getting near my turn to pay my cover the bouncer saw me and said I couldn’t go in b/c my tshirt didn’t have a collar – I def wasn’t under-dressed and I assume the club had that policy at that time; but in previous and subsequent visits I dressed similarly and didn’t have a problem – I can only assume the bouncer was either being a dick; or perhaps they were being picky at the door as to whom they were letting in that night b/c it was so busy (I assume they may have wanted to give preferential treatment to groups of guys that would “supposedly” spend more vs a guy walking in by himself)

2) Club Blaze ATL a couple of years ago – I was wearing my black Tashi Lounge Pants (w/ pockets) but I was commando and these pants are thin and kinda mark your package; the bouncer noticed my package and said “you can’t come in with no drawls on bro” – so I was denied entry - I had clubbed commando there b/f on multiple visits but that was on dayshift whereas this one was a rare nightshift - on dayshift I used to wear my loose basketball shorts and those didn’t mark my package as much as the thin lounge pants did (although in subsequent reviews I had read of some bouncers specifically looking to see if you had underwear while they gave you the patdown at the door)

2.5) Baby Dolls Dallas again this time in late-2018 - it was a nightshift visit and I was wearing my Tashi lounge pants again and commando (in the last 5 years or so most of my clubbing is on dayshift and I wear loose basketball shorts; on my rare nightshift visits I tend to wear my black Tashi Lounge Pants that have pockets and kinda look like regular slacks unless one looks closely) – anyway on this late-2018 Baby Dolls Dallas visit this time it was one of the girls taking the cover that said I couldn’t come in – she was a young girl very-early 20s and she kinda told me w/ an attitude as if she owned the place and it kinda pissed me off a young-punk like that talking to me the way she did – I got into a bit of an argument w/ her and around that time a 30-something male-staff worker had come to the front-desk on unrelated business and the young-punk I was arguing w/ told him “he wants to come in w/ those pants” – he looked at me and told her it was ok and I was allowed in – I assume that “technically” I was not dressed to Baby Dolls requirements and I accept that and would have left; what pissed me off the most was the young-punk’s attitude and the way she talked down to-me me being in my late-40s at the time

I think there was another time I was denied entry at another club but I just can’t remember right now.
  • WavvyCain
    4 years ago
    I always see black guys give stories about being turned away, luckily I have not. That’s my biggest fear every time I go to a new club.
  • goldmongerATL
    4 years ago
    I was with a client back when we wore suits and he wanted to take me to what turned out to be a rather low rent club somewhere on Harry Hines in Dallas. The doorman would not let us in. He said we would get our ass kicked by the locals if we went in with a suit. He told us to leave the jackets and ties in the car.

Once we went in I realized we were still sticking out like sore thumbs. We were the only guys not wearing a work shirt with our names sewn on it. All the girls flocked to us because we looked like we had more money to spend than the rest of the crowd combined. We got some icy looks and angry "who the fuck do they think they are?" comments. We were there about 2 hours and made two trips to the single VIP room. No one else did.
  • wallanon
    4 years ago
    "The doorman would not let us in. He said we would get our ass kicked by the locals if we went in with a suit."

I've only been to a handful of clubs where the doorman or valet waved me off from a bad visit. They make an easy 10 or 20 bucks and I save myself from a waste of time. In those cases the reviews were trash and the club was in between better venues, but sometimes a so bad it's good visit has a better payoff then yet another VIP notch with middling talent.
  • bubba267
    4 years ago
    Around 1979 Cheetah II wouldn’t let me and my friend in because our shirts didn’t have a collar.
  • Oliver_Clothesoff_66
    4 years ago
    Once. And it was rather innocuous IMO. It was Good Guys, which is in the Georgetown area of Washington DC. I was wearing a baseball cap (not backwards mind you). Apparently this was apparently verboten. I say apparently because there were no visible dress code signs. Since parking in that part of DC is next to impossible, I was several blocks away. I was not inclined to make the round trip to the car to deposit the cap and then return. 25+ years later and still haven't been to Good Guys. I hold a grudge :)
  • wallanon
    4 years ago
    Apparently bubba267 also holds grudges. 25+ years is baby steps compared to 40+. 1979? lol
  • NJBalla
    4 years ago
    In my first year i would wear dress pants and jeans because my first experiences were in vegas. A seasoned dancer told me it hurt dancing against my jeans. I told her i had a pair of athletic pants in my car. She said if I went and got changed she'd give me a HJ. Havent worn anything outside of athletic pants since.
  • Icee Loco (asshole)
    4 years ago
    Ive broken dress codes and been let in ....

I had problems twice. But tnis was maybe 8 years ago. Once for not wearing dress shoes. And once for wearing a winter jacket in winter. They had no coat check and said I can't bring it in.
  • CJKent_band
    4 years ago
    I have never been refused admittance to a strip club due to my attire.
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    While skiing at Jay Peak VT back in the day we got the great idea to get hammered in Montreal and then drive back. We got so shitfaced that when we went out to the car to get high, the bouncer told us we couldn't get back in. After getting high we decided to swap coats and tray again; but we were foiled. How? We were wearing the exact same coats, just different sizes. We went elsewhere and ended up having one of the funniest moments ever when we arrived back at customs.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion