tuscl

OT: spectrum of covid cases that you know of

NinaBambina
Who the fuck is Ninabambina?
Sunday, January 10, 2021 11:23 AM
So the first two people to test positive in my family were my aunt and uncle. Aunt is in her 60s with no major health issues that I know of, she was in ICU for 27 days and finally pulled through. My uncle was in his 50s, had down syndrome, and had a bad stroke about half a year prior. He died a few days after diagnosis. Two cousins had it. One is early 30s and basically had flu like symptoms for about a week with lots of fatigue. The other is in her 40s and was about the same. Neither have significant health issues and neither had to go to the hospital. My step grandpa and his entire family got it. No one was very ill except his 40s something wife who just had a headache and body aches, nothing severe. He is in his 70s (generally healthy retired doctor) and said he just had a runny nose. Their kids were not very sick either. Another aunt of mine got it. She's in her late 40s or early 50s, generally healthy. Her only symptom was losing her sense of taste and smell. A friend of mine from out of town had it. She said it was like a cross between a bad cold and mild flu and that she couldn't taste anything. She said when she ordered a pizza it was like chewing water. Her boyfriend had it too and said the worst thing for him was the headaches. So weird that this is so mild for some and so horrid for others. What are your experiences with having had it or knowing people you have and the wide spectrum of severity?

24 comments

• joker44
    3 years ago
    Some people initially recover but experience recurrence of some symptoms in the long term, such as bouts of otherwise unexplained fatigue or episodic headaches of a type they had not had prior to initial infection. You didn't mention this in your report so I assume none of these folks had longer term symptom return. Can you confirm this?
  • WavvyCain
    3 years ago
    I had 8 relatives die from it. I was the first to get it back in February when I left Chicago for ASW. Had the chills, a bad cough, breathing was terrible, and a headache. I felt better within 4 days but my cough lingered on for a week more, and my voice was fucked from how bad the cough was for another month or so. Since I still feel very tired and my digestive system is all the way fucked up. I saw that, that was a symptom after for some people. My relatives that died were older. I’m 28, one that died was 42 and the rest were 46, and up. They were in south Florida where over the summer covid was running wild. I’m sorry for your losses and I hope you recover as well!
  • Tetradon
    3 years ago
    My massage therapist, a healthy 29 year old woman, said it was like a nasty flu for a full month. Her boyfriend, who had asthma and some other lung conditions, had almost no symptoms. It's so hard to predict.
  • datinman
    3 years ago
    I know of scores of people that have been infected at this point. it is so unpredictable. I've seen healthy people in their thirties die and octogenarians survive. A morbidly obese 60 year old propped up by a dozen monthly meds and she has a week long flu type experience. A 34 year old doctor that was a competitive marathon runner that got infected in March and 10 months later has so much fibrosis in his lungs he gets winded walking to the mailbox. Weird shit. I know a women that lost smell and taste in April. It returned about 1 month later, but now the smell of coffee or chocolate will make her retch. A twenty year old guy who 2 weeks after recovering had 6 weeks of unrelenting tinnitus so severe he couldn't sleep or function and self harm was a concern. I know of long haulers that may never be the same. This virus has the ability to create pulmonary, cardiovascular, GI, kidney, and neurologic issues and I fear there may be long term consequences for some even if the initial episode was not severe. But, hey, that is just my experience. I am not going change any minds convinced this is a "scamdemic".
  • Warrior15
    3 years ago
    I had it. Had a slight cough for about 3 days, maybe slight body aches one day. Thats about it. Probably would not have even gotten tested but the sugar baby that gave it to me called and told me she tested positive. She had flu like symptoms for about 3 days. Not severe at all. Only people I know that have died from it are in their 70's and had other at risk health issues.
  • blahblahblah23
    3 years ago
    I had it and it was super mild for a few days. I did have chest pain/breathing pain but nothing major enough for me to worry. Could still walk around a lot and not get winded. Completely lost my smell for a while. Still don't have it back at 100%.. maybe at 50-60% a month after having it. Someone else I know had it. They had a lot of snot/sinus issues that's it. Others I know who got it right now are pretty dysfunctional and sleep all day/ can't do much, fever, sinus issues, no smell. Supposedly 2 people living across the street from someone I know died from it. But I am skeptical. And this someone I know thinks the covid is a real bad illness when it ain't shit so i think they are making shit up imo
  • blahblahblah23
    3 years ago
    I feel like for me the regular flu or bronchitis are always far worse than this covid shit. I wasn't even noticeably sick when I had the corona.
  • whodey
    3 years ago
    Between family, friends and work I have known about 35-40 people that have had covid. The vast majority have had minor symptoms no worse than flu for a few days. However, I do know 7 of them that were extremely severe. 3 of them have died. The first was my 48 year old aunt whose only underlying health issue was slightly elevated blood pressure and was in good enough shape to run a half marathon last Christmas before dying after 4 days on a ventilator in April. The second was a guy 2 doors down from me who was 66 but had underlying health issues stemming from a battle with cancer several years but had been in remission for over 2 years. The most recent was a coworker that died in mid December. He was 62 and healthy aside from vision problems caused by macular degeneration. I have known 4 others that have spent time in the hospital with covid. The first was my 21 year old cousin who caught it on an extended spring break from college in late April. He had never had any prior health issues and competed in cross country throughout high school and has run 5 marathons in the past three years. He spent more than a week in the ICU including 6 days on a ventilator and missed his mother's (my aunt mentioned above) funeral due to continued issues. The second was a long time friend who is 38 and whose only prior health issue was a decade long battle with PTSD due to his time in the military. He was treated at the hospital for a couple of days due to breathing dificulty but never needed a ventilator. About 6 weeks after he was discharged from the hospital he collapsed while playing with his kids and the doctors diagnosed him with myocarditis and will effect him possibly for the rest of his life. The third was a coworker that is in her late fifties, I don't know what her medical history was prior but I do know that she is a smoker and she spent 4 days in the hospital a month ago. The 4th is a coworker that I believe is in her late fifties or early sixties that was admitted to the hospital last Thursday and I haven't heard any updates since then. Luckily the majority of the cases don't appear to be severe but those that are can be very bad. My big worry is that we don't know how many of the less severe cases will turn out to have long term issues that haven't been identified yet like my friend's myocarditis.
  • Nidan111
    3 years ago
    I have had it. Sucked for 7 days. My entire family had it with zero issues, but wife is 20 years younger than I and my kids are 47 and 50 years younger than I. I have been involved with treating well over 300 patients that have contracted it. 25 percent of them died. It is a fucking weird disease. All I can figure is that it must depend upon the viral load plus the relative immunity of those exposed.
  • shailynn
    3 years ago
    Living in what most would consider a small town my world was relatively unscathed until November. Since then I know a whole slew of people of have gotten it, my wife has had to be quarantined twice due to exposure at work (tested negative both times) and my parents have had 5 friends die since the week of Christmas to now, along with a coworker of mine. I keep reading locally about when I can get a vaccine, I am still weary of getting it but I’m going to do it as soon as I can. My wife can get her first shot at the end of this week due to her work, looks like I won’t be able to until March unless I get lucky before then. My life has changed a great deal in the past year and I’m okay with it, all I do is go to work and sleep but at least work keeps me occupied. One other thing, without an effective vaccination I don’t see how this is ever going away. My wife has a ton of coworkers and several of them have been caught out in public when they had tested positive and were supposed to be quarantining. I can’t believe so many people just don’t care.
  • rickdugan
    3 years ago
    This has to be the unluckiest bunch of people I have ever run across. This is almost as bad as a dancer on SW who claimed that 3 kids in her neighborhood dies form it, which is almost a statistical impossibility given its almost non-existent child mortality rates. Seriously some of you should never ever gamble - you'll no doubt roll snake eyes every time. I'm in FL, where transmission has been very high for months now. I know a bunch of people who have had it, most younger than me because our old people are generally doing a good job of protecting themselves. The symptoms were almost universally mild to moderate and lasted no more than a couple of weeks. I had it myself and experienced mild symptoms. The worst case I witnessed personally was an extended family member who was immune compromised to begin with, but even he fully recovered after a few weeks. Now I am sure that any medical professionals on here have seen some bad shit for sure, but they are getting the worst of the worst, the small % of the overall population that has an extreme reaction to the virus, including the very old and those with co-morbidities. I have no doubt that their perspective is shaped by that and understandably so.
  • rickdugan
    3 years ago
    That should have read "...in her neighborhood died from it..." lol
  • skibum609
    3 years ago
    A 62 year olf driend had it: Symptom free. Mt brother-in-law is in day 28 of intensive care and is out of his coma.
  • shailynn
    3 years ago
    To follow up on Ricks post, off the top of my head I personally have known 9 people who have died from COVID, 6 of them have died since December. All who were 60+ (6 of them) had major preexisting conditions 1 male in his early 30s but was very obese 2 males - 1 in his 40s the other in his 30s and both were in good health, the 40 something was a health nut. === Of the 50+ people I’ve known that got sick, only 1 I know of came close to being admitted to the hospital. He had a fever of 102 and couldn’t shake it for almost 2 weeks. Everyone else has no symptoms to a “bad case” of the flu.
  • twentyfive
    3 years ago
    I know a few people who have gotten the Rona virus the oldest an 81 YO man recovered quickly a few that were in there 30s to 50s mixed bag out of seven one died the rest recovered also quickly in my neighborhood there has been a 7 year old grandson of a neighbor that died, extremely sad, very few cases that I’m hearing about in my own age group most of us are being smart as possible most wear masks and our socializing is mainly out doors on the golf course and at the beach, a lot of us are walking the beach daily for exercise and there’s a bunch of us with hobbies that allow us to be outside which is less exposure than indoors
  • willnicolas77
    3 years ago
    Never had it. Been around people who did, some very sick, others not. But I distance and wear a mask. Spent a weekend at my sister's house. Everyone was infected and I left once symptoms showed up. I did not get it. I have to have blood tests on a regular basis for an autoimmune condition. I have no covid antibodies, not then, not last week. But I have O negative blood. My doc says for some reason type 0 people are either immune naturally, or they suffer only minor symptoms. Maybe there is,some truth to that alien conspiracy and 0 blood types. Lol
  • Subraman
    3 years ago
    Only one person who I know directly and firsthand got it. Young healthy person, tough couple of weeks, fatigue a couple more. That said, most of my circle of friends has the luxury of working from home, we all wear masks, don't mix households, etc. I know of a good number of second-hand stories. Nearly all of the stories are the same: multiple deaths in the same family, after a family mixer. One of my best buddies just told me a couple of days ago about multiple deaths in his brother-in-law's family. A good friend of mine has an SB where there have been multiple family deaths. My parents have two friends with deaths in their families. My sister has one. Every single story involves multiple deaths in a single family after some sort of household mixer.
  • Subraman
    3 years ago
    * deaths or hospitalizations
  • Musterd21
    3 years ago
    I have had friends get it and I find out after being around them. I have had lunch with 4 people that got it a few days later, but I have remained healthy. I keep my distance, wear a mask and wash my hands VERY often. I had one friend end up in ICU. One friend died and the spouse was very sick but stayed at home. It can be really bad stuff!
  • Huntsman
    3 years ago
    I personally know quite a few people who have had it, including some close relatives. Maybe 30 or so total that I know, running the full range of ages. In most cases, they were pretty sick for a day or so, with things like cough, fatigue or loss of taste or smell lingering. I know six who have died, all middle-aged, four with comorbidities, two without.
  • NinaBambina
    3 years ago
    Just found out my stepmom tested positive.
  • gammanu95
    3 years ago
    I know many people that said they had COVID. Although, since I work in healthcare, that is no surprise. Of all the people that told me they had it, only one died. One. My MiL had it. 70+, diabetic, overweight, very poor diet and lifestyle routines. She was hospitalized for a few weeks and is currently experiencing the alopecia (nearly totally bald, now). The death was another physician. My age, healthier, but did not wear a mask at the clinic (different practice). I was told he anticipated getting infected regardless, so decided not to put too much time and effort into prevention. God rest his soul.
  • JamesSD
    3 years ago
    I'm personally aware of everything from death (older woman) to no symptoms (only got tested because someone at work had it, tested positive never felt sick) This virus is crazy in how different it affects different people. I know a diabetic smoker in his 50s who basically felt like he had the flu for a week when he had it and by the numbers he "should" have been high risk.
  • NinaBambina
    3 years ago
    Thanks for all the responses so far. I was just curious because so many people I know have gotten it and there's such a damn variety in the severity of cases, even high riskers like my mid 70s grandpa who only had a runny nose. I'd like to get an antibody test and see if one of the few days in summer I had a runny nose and scratchy throat could've been covid although I doubt that. I know a lot of others who've had it; those are the closer people to me who have. Forgot to add that an older woman I know who is/was battling breast cancer had it. She said it was the sickest she'd ever been, and she's been through chemo. Obviously she was high risk. I made this post kind of randomly. It just so happens I found out today that my stepmom tested positive but I have no info yet on how she's doing. She works in healthcare. Not good as she is high risk and my dad who's about 20 years older than her is as well. I also have a sibling with cerebral palsy who lives in their household so I'm concerned. Then there are two healthy kids there who should do alright.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion