tuscl

Curfews returning to Florida

gammanu95
My casual drinking is your alcohol poisoning.
As COVID cases continue to rise, Miami has anoounced a midnight curfew beginning this weekend.
Citations will be issued, but fines do not need to be paid until Gov. DeSantis lifts his executive order protecting citizens from local government enforcement.
Expect some of the other leftist muni governments to follow suit.

19 comments

• Dolfan
    4 years ago
    Key West is instituting a 10pm curfew for New Years Eve & the following weekend. Its likely to be challenged, from what I understand the current arguments are likely to fail, but that doesn't mean there isn't a better justification to have it tossed. That'll REALLY hurt their economy down there, and I'm not sure how much it'll help. It's not like it won't be shoulder to shoulder down Duval street from 10am to 10pm anyway, and COVID doesn't only come out at night.

The town of Palm Beach just approved a 1am-5am curfew too. That's the town of ~10k people, not the County of ~1.5m though. Miami's curfew is county wide (2.5m) not just the city of Miami (400k.)
  • georgmicrodong
    4 years ago
    Chicken shit pussy Floridians. Afraid of a virus with a 99.5+% survival rate.

/s
  • gammanu95
    4 years ago
    It's happening in every state and nearly every country, gmd. Which shit pussy state is yours?

Coronavirus lockdowns by state: what you need to know

https://www.foxnews.com/us/here-are-your…

https://www.bbc.com/news/explainers-5364…

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19…
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    You have to forgive Floridians, they can't even punch a paper ballot correctly and need to be told what to do.
  • whodey
    4 years ago
    Curfews hurt the economy less than completely shutting down certain industries like other states are doing, but I have yet to hear a single scientific argument about how closing business during certain hours help prevent the spread of covid.
  • rickdugan
    4 years ago
    FL's a big state. A couple of cities trying to nibble on the edges of the Governor's Executive Order to keep things open does not a pattern make. I think that FL is probably the least restricted state in the country right now outside of SD and maybe GA.
  • rickdugan
    4 years ago
    Unlike the pussy ass states of almost everyone with their goofy tongue in cheek comments about FL. How many of you could even go to a club right now if you wanted to and, if you could, how ridiculous would the experience be?
  • bang69
    4 years ago
    Here in North Carolina. We have a curfew. We half to be off the street at 10pm and can't get back on the streets till 5am
  • Nidan111
    4 years ago
    I love all of these “safety” precautions that politicians literally pull out of their ASSES with ZERO EVIDENCE that it will work. When the fuck did a virus give two shits as to what time of day it would choose to do the most damage?
  • SerenitySinn
    4 years ago
    So far? Still open here!!!
  • gammanu95
    4 years ago
    Curfews are less damaging to the economy than other restrictions, and affect far fewer people than daytime restrictions. They are also minimally effective. I think it stems from the bureaucrats' need to control and regulate. They feel like they have to do something, but the only they can do is takeaway the freedoms of their constituency. Politicians and bureaucrats need to grow a spine and be able to explain to their voters when and why nothing is sometimes the right thing to do.

Of course, I posted it on TUSCL because strip clubs will be having their prime business hours impacted the most, and their employees and customers are the most impacted people.
    4 years ago
    Offials are trying to find something to do to keep virus spread on everyone’s mind without killing off business. Bars and clubs have a tendency to get crazier and more careless the later it gets therefore shutting things off earlier makes for less opportunities for super spreader events Nothing is perfect but curfew laws accomplish more virus control with less economic effect. Funny how these curfews are such an outrage while “last call” laws, which are effectively bar curfews, are never questioned.
  • Dolfan
    4 years ago
    It's not exactly scientific, but in Key West they're doing it because historically 10pm is about the time the streets start filling up with drunks. I mean that in a very literal sense: https://oldtownmanor.com/wp-content/uplo… That's probably peak right around midnight, but by 10pm it's shoulder to shoulder and by 11:30pm you literally can barely move. In that scenario 1 sick person can easily infect hundreds, and the likelihood of some of the younger crowd being asymptomatic spreaders is very high.

In Miami,I believe the justification comes from contact tracing. At least that's what I gather from the coverage on the news. They say a significant amount of spreading starts there. For example, one twenty something gives it to two or three others they were in close proximity from 11pm-2am at a bar then those three give it to their families & its off to the races and they can say "250 new cases this week trace back to a late night party at one bar on Miami Beach."

I'm not saying I agree that curfews are an effective measure to control the spread, or that they're justified. I'm not saying they aren't either. What I am saying as that it's not some bureaucrat's pulling shit out of their ass just because they feel the need to do something. They're trying to find a balance between the reckless spread of disease and the reckless devastation of economies. Moreover, what I'm saying is that the arguments from both side insisting that the sky is falling because of COVID and we have to hide in our basements aren't any more helpful than the arguments from the other side crying about your freedom being infringed upon because you're being asked to wear a mask to the grocery store.

Get a fucking grip people. A little compromise can go a long way here. A little common sense wouldn't hurt either, but I'm not gonna get greedy.
  • georgmicrodong
    4 years ago
    🤦‍♂️

Satire is lost on you people.
  • orionsmith
    4 years ago
    I live in nc. Now have 10pm to 5am curfew except for work or groceries. Been going to work almost every Week This Year With Face Masks Required But Can't Go Out Past 9Pm And Drink Anything And Clubs Closing Early. I Think I Have Bettter Odds Of Dying In A Car Crash From Everyone Having To Visit Stores At The Same Time Than The Virus
  • orionsmith
    4 years ago
    I used to like visiting places when not crowded. Curfews make that a lot more difficult. I do blame Everyone That Thought They Had To Go Travel Visit Family Etc While I And Others Stayed Home And Isolated Except For Essential Business.
  • whodey
    4 years ago
    "Funny how these curfews are such an outrage while “last call” laws, which are effectively bar curfews, are never questioned."

There are two big differences between last call laws and these curfews. First, most last call laws are passed either through a full process or by public ballot initiative while the curfews have largely been done by executive action based on one person or a small group's opinion.

Second, they are consistent and don't change week to week. I can't even imagine how hard it is to run a business without knowing when you will be allowed to be open. How do you schedule employees? How do you project the necessary amount of inventory for perishable goods? How are you customers supposed to know when to plan to be there?
  • mike710
    4 years ago
    I'm starting to wonder if the scientist and politicians are pulling restrictions to "flatten the curve" out of their ass. California has been shut down for a couple of weeks but the 7 day rate of infection per 100,000 people has risen to 82.1 and seems to still be rising.

Florida, which has been mask free for a while sits at about 56% of California at 46.1. Georgia has been wide open as well and is lower as well.

I'm not one who thinks that most of the infections start in public places like bars and restaurants. Been a couple weeks since you could go to a bar or restaurant in CA. With the rate still rising in CA, it has to be other sources that have caused these infections to continue to rise.

I'm going to Florida for the weekend to practice a form of capitalism that I can't have out West for a while now.
  • mike710
    4 years ago
    Forgot the link for the stats.

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker…
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion