tuscl

Chuck Yeager passes away at the age of 97

twentyfive
Living well and enjoying my retirement
His widow said his was a life well lived, he definitely had the Right Stuff and he was one of my own personal heroes
Godspeed
R. I. P.

16 comments

• TheeOSU
    4 years ago
    A genuine American hero! He had The Right Stuff!
  • jackslash
    4 years ago
    RIP
  • whodey
    4 years ago
    A long life that was well lived.
  • joker44
    4 years ago
    One of the great early pioneers in flight. Sadly, often overlooked after the space program was underway.
  • Muddy
    4 years ago
    RIP. Hero. Great American. We aren't replacing these types and it's unfortunate. It's just a bunch of shitbirds popping up now.
  • Cashman1234
    4 years ago
    RIP. He was a true American hero. Those pilots - and many of them were test pilots - had to know they were pushing well beyond the limits. I’m amazed at how they handled themselves considering the dangers they faced on each flight.
  • Huntsman
    4 years ago
    +1 to all the comments
  • londonguy
    4 years ago
    A good innings as we Brits say. RIP.
  • goldmongerATL
    4 years ago
    Outlived Sam Shepard who played him in the Right Stuff.
  • ATACdawg
    4 years ago
    I love two stories in his book. The first was about him hunting enough elk to feed his entire organization in a celebratory dinner. He did it at altitude - in a P-39 with the cannon (which fired through the prop hub) in single shot mode!

The second was a flight he took with Neil Armstrong (yup, that one) with NA in the front seat. He had told NA that one particular part of the salt flats was too soft to support the aircraft. He was pooh-poohed and NA made the landing - whereupon, the landing gear broke through the crust, and the airplane refused to move despite the engines running at full power! "Nice day for a walk home, Neil."
  • Nidan111
    4 years ago
    Pioneer for sure. I believe he is the first pilot to have broken the sound barrier and thus paved the way for space flight.
  • Longball300
    4 years ago
    If you read up on what he went through during his war stints and test pilot time periods..... amazing. One tough son of a bitch and a true hero:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/07/us/ch…

• Longball300
    4 years ago
    And if you never have watched The Right Stuff set aside 3.5 hours this winter:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086197/?re…
  • georgmicrodong
    4 years ago
    He had more of "The Right Stuff" in his pinky toe than most of us will every have.
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    When people like this die and are not replaced, the country eventually dies. For a country that was founded on hard work; risk taking; and self-sufficiency, we sure have lost our way.
  • Longball300
    4 years ago
    I fear the ski is right; young folks nowadays have no fucking clue. Their enabling helicopter parents have created a group of clueless entitled lazy brats.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion