tuscl

Remembering 9/11

rickdugan
Verified and Certifiable Super-Reviewer
At 8:46 am on 9/11/2001, Mohammed Attaand the other hijackers aboard American Airlines Flight 11 crashed the plane into floors 93-99 of the North Tower of the World Trade Center, killing everyone on board and hundreds inside the building.

At first it was assumed that the crash was a horrible accident. Then, at 9:03 am. hijackers crashed United Airlines Flight 175 into floors 75-85 of the WTC’s South Tower, killing everyone on board and hundreds inside the building. At this moment, we knew that this was no accident.

At 9:37 am, hijackers aboard American Airlines Flight 77 crashed the plane into the western facade of the Pentagon in Washington, D.C., killing 59 aboard the plane and 125 military and civilian personnel inside the building.

At 9:59 am, the South Tower of the World Trade Center collapsed.

At 10:07 am, after passengers and crew members aboard the hijacked United Airlines Flight 93 learned about the attacks in New York and Washington, they mounted a heroic attempt to retake the plane.In response, hijackers deliberately crashed the plane into a field in Somerset County, Pennsylvania, killing all 40 passengers and crew aboard. It was suspected that this plane was headed either to the Pentagon or the White House.

At 10:28 am, the World Trade Center’s North Tower collapsed.

I was in New York City that day, when the whole city went into mourning and all too many people were faced with the tragic and senseless loss of family, friends and acquaintances who were killed for no other reason than because they worked in those buildings. There were also too many heroes to count on that day, including NYPD, FDNY and the people on Flight 93 who forced the hijackers to bring the plane down in a field rather than into another building.

We will never forget.

13 comments

• elmer
    4 years ago
    I'm not from NY but 343 of my brother's died that day
  • TheeOSU
    4 years ago
    Never forget!!!
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    Reminds me of this statement
    “The only easy day was yesterday “
    Amen Rick
  • pistola
    4 years ago
    We can’t forget we live in a world where people are still dwelling in caves, plotting to kill and destroy anyone that doesn’t agree with their religious beliefs (and not just in the US). That’s why we can’t forget, because they would like to do things like this over and over and over again.
  • Cashman1234
    4 years ago
    Rick provides a succinct depiction of the events of 19 years ago. It is a short depiction, but it still brings back painful memories.

I will never forget so many aspects of that day.

Trying to find my sister - as cell service was overwhelmed - as she made her way north to midtown. She finally made it across the Hudson on the ferry.

Searching for my brother who had just gotten out of the subway at the WTC - and hearing later how the horrific thuds of people’s bodies haunted him for months.

Helping my brother in law locate his sister - as she walked East over the Brooklyn Bridge to safety.

Watching a close friend deteriorate as brain cancer took over his body. He was a police officer and he worked down by the smoldering pile, and he passed in 2016.

I still remember my flight on 9/10/01. We were in a weather delay, and we flew in at close to midnight. The towers were beautiful illuminated as the weather cleared, and we approached Newark.

It is a painful day for memories.
  • rickdugan
    4 years ago
    ===. "Trying to find my sister - as cell service was overwhelmed - as she made her way north to midtown. She finally made it across the Hudson on the ferry."

Cell phones were impossible to use all day in the city. Fortunately land lines still worked for those of us with offices far enough away from the crash. i thought I was going to be stranded in the city for the day until they finally re-opened limited server on the northbound Metro North commuter trains heading out of Grand Central.
  • Uprightcitizen
    4 years ago
    The firm I used to work for at the time had frequent business dealings with Cantor Fitzgerald. Everyone we worked with at that office was killed.

I said at that moment we are now officially at war with somebody. I also recall how nations like Iran, North Korea and Russia laid low as they knew the USA was out for blood. Casus Belli
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    I was at work that day when my cousin, who saw the first plane hit from his balcony on the other side of the river called me and said get to a tv a plane hit one of the towers. An associate at the firm lived 8 houses away so we watched the second plane hit live on tv from his living room. Hit where my cousin's wife worked. Almost all of her co-workers died. She was late for work and coming out of the subway when they died.
    A lot of people from Staples died on the plane out of Logan. Staples was started in and is headquartered in Framingham, where I grew up. I hate this day.
  • TheeOSU
    4 years ago
    I wasn't aware of what was happening until I turned on the TV just before 9AM that morning and saw the 2nd plane hit a few minutes later then watched the towers fall an hour later. I can't describe the powerful emotions of hate for the people that did it and the sympathy for those that died.
    Watching it on TV was horrific enough I can't imagine what it was like for people like Rick and Cash who actually were in the vicinity.

• RandomMember
    4 years ago
    I was in Silicon Valley at the time and had a detached view of the events. The images on TV looked unreal -- like something out of a Hollywood movie.

The families and friends of people who died on 9/11 deserve our sympathy.

I do remember indiscriminate US bombing within days of 9/11 and, by some strange logic, we starting a costly war with Iraq even though Al Quida was in Afganistan. History will look at that as a massive fuck-up.

Putting things in perspective, Covid deaths are equivalent to about sixty 9/11s, and Covid has been a far greater national tragedy.
  • winex
    4 years ago
    There were numerous reasons for the war in Iraq. Those reasons go far beyond weapons of mass destruction.

The best way to gain an understanding of the reasons for the war is to read the text of the speech that President Bush gave to the UN ON 9/12/2002

https://georgewbush-whitehouse.archives.…
  • pistola
    4 years ago
    History will look at that as a massive fuck-up

Sounds like an opinion clutched right from MSNBC. What was going down is that we were in Iraq, holding news pressings in and about Iraq, while we were running secret ops in Afghanistan. We had to to stabilize the region. This wasn’t strange logic. We knew the bad guys were in the Afghani mountains, we went to war with Iraq, connect the dots.
  • Huntsman
    4 years ago
    Good post, rickdugan.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion