tuscl

OT: Bringing Back Animals From Extinction

Dinosaurs may be out of reach due to their DNA 🧬 degrading too much. But one sad case I think of is the Stellar’s Sea Cow. A giant manatee that lived around the Aleutian Islands. Discovered by a shipwrecked explorer named George Stellar and his crew in 1741. It was hunted to extinction a mere 27 years after being discovered and in 1768 were erased off the planet. Hunting techniques were wasteful and inhumane, spearing the whale sized creatures and hoping there carcasses would drift to shore. One tragic detail that stood out to me.

“ The hunt was made easier because, as Steller noted, the sea cows had “an uncommon love for one another, which even extended so far that, when one of them was hooked, all the others were intent upon saving him,” making the rest of the group ready targets. Steller also observed that when a female was killed, her mate made daily visits to the beach where her body remained, “as if he would inform himself about her condition.” https://www.leonardodicaprio.org/never-f…

Jesus. Some creatures are too much like humans to hunt. Another example is the Baiji, a Chinese River Dolphin that perished in 2006 due to pollution in the Yangtze River. It would be nice to see us right some of the wrongs of the past and bring some these animals back.

13 comments

• twentyfive
    •
    4 years ago
    I see several here that we thought were extinct !
  • skibum609
    •
    4 years ago
    Passenger pigeon flocks used to blacken the sky until they were all killed, by democrats.
  • Muddy
    •
    4 years ago
    I knew once I submit 25 would jump right on it
  • Icey
    •
    4 years ago
    If we could clone early hominids....
  • gammanu95
    •
    4 years ago
    Nature adapts to these losses, as sad as some may be. When I was a kid in Chicago, my suburb was still being built. We had animals I've never seen since including killdeer, moles, salamanders, and dozens of species of frogs. As the neighborhood built up, many of these creatures disappeared- habitat loss and pollution. However, before I left around 2000, many had moved back in with some new ones. I had two chipmunks nesting in my front bushes. I would see them sitting right on the steps of my front porch like they owned it several times a week.

A more important and more urgent task than bringing back extinct animals, is to preserve the ones we have and to stop invasive species like pythons inbthe Everglades, zebra mussels in the great lakes, and asiatic carp in the mississippi.
  • 99rocky
    •
    4 years ago
    North American air travel would operate a hell of a lot differently if the passenger pigeon was to return.
  • twentyfive
    •
    4 years ago
  • mark94
    •
    4 years ago
    Let’s bring back Neanderthal man.
  • Warrior15
    •
    4 years ago
    ^ Mark94. - Biden is running for President
  • gammanu95
    •
    4 years ago
    Don't insult neanderthals like that. Biden is spineless swamp scum.
  • Muddy
    •
    4 years ago
    @25 Hey I was saving that song for the next TUSCL meetup/synchronized dance off with Rick
  • TheeOSU
    •
    4 years ago
    "If we could clone early hominids"

No need.. you're still around.
  • TheeOSU
    •
    4 years ago
    "stop invasive species like pythons inbthe Everglades, zebra mussels in the great lakes, and asiatic carp in the mississippi."

This! ^
    BTW the Asian Carp may have branched out. Their DNA has been found in the Great Lakes.
    All it takes is some asshole to catch a few elsewhere and release them to screw up a whole ecosystem.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion