tuscl

OT: Pandemic tipping

Thursday, July 16, 2020 5:58 AM
How or has your tipping behavior changed? Takeout, uber, grubhub, and strip club etc I considered myself a fair tipper. With the pandemic hurting local businesses and cutting hours I was more generous in the beginning. 5 months into this I expect a different normal, but what I'm seeing is subpar service. Not asking for a lot, just a friendly smile and delivery where food's still warm, both which have been severely lacking. Still tipping but more stingily. Strip clubbing OTOH service has been getting better even though tipping stayed the same. If anything I'm doing the extreme PL move, and not afraid to admit to it, send extra cash just cause. NAAAASTY

25 comments

• Studme53
    4 years ago
    I’m spending much less and have far fewer occasions to tip, but on limited occasions when a tip is called for, I’m tipping a lot more. My reason is the people are nowexposing their health to serve me. Waiter / waitress +30% Delivery - 30% Person who brings your curbside pickup out 20% Also, I would rarely put more than the coin change I got in a tip jar on a counter at a coffee or ice cream shop - now I put at least a dollar or 2.
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    I tip far more now than before as I consider it a moral obligation. My experience, at least with the restaurants in New England is that every meal now is amazing and they are cooking at a higher level than ever before.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    I wouldn't say I tip way more than b/f but I am cognizant things are rough for most in the restaurant business so I am a bit more liberal than normal w/o going crazy - I like the convenience of not having to cook, and I like, you guessed it, variety, so I buy most of my meals and it gets pricey especially if I tip very-well every time.
  • Papi_Chulo
    4 years ago
    I also prefer to pick up my food vs delivery - in part to avoid the delivery charge and in part bc the food may not be as fresh bc the delivery person took too long - I would assume there way more delivery orders being placed these days and I assume this makes it harder for the person to make timely deliveries.
  • mike710
    4 years ago
    I've been tipping better recently. If it's someone I know, I've tipped as much as 100% the first time I saw them back at work. I tipped every dancer $10 on stage the first time I was back in a club as well. After a while, I still tipped at least 25%. I've been tapering off a bit of late because I am out almost daily now. I always tip well anyway so I am getting back to normal as time goes on. I'll probably tip every dancer the next time I get to go to my favorite club because they got shutdown again.
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    Instead of a buck on a beer I have been tipping the bartenders in my go to strip club now 2-3. Given what happened yesterday I see them getting shut back down eventually, but wow its been fun the last 4 weeks.
  • rickdugan
    4 years ago
    I have been more generous as well. With ongoing capacity limitations and older people understandably staying home for the time being, business has been way down in most of these places. I'm a firm believer in supporting my local businesses. But apparently not everyone feels that way that we do. I have talked to two strippers in the past week who also work p/t in restaurants and they were saying that most customers have become tighter rather than generous. I suspect the ongoing economic pain is the culprit, though you would wonder why anyone who is that tight would eat at places like steakhouses (where on girl worked) at all.
  • Dolfan
    4 years ago
    My tipping has become significantly more variable. Yesterday, I went to a Vietnamese place for take out. I don't eat a lot of that type of food, so I had some questions when ordering. She was very polite & helpful taking my order. She took care packing it up. She was busy, but clearly was making an effort to help each customer in line. I tipped decent, I think my order was just over $30 and I gave her $40. When I got home, the food was great. I'll probably go back, and she'll probably be tipped well again. On the other hand, many other places have been providing shit service and shit products. My tipping has been commensurate with that. What I do really wish is some sort of Uber-like tipping system for takeout. Online ordering at most places forces me to tip up front. If I was provided an opportunity to tip after the service had been rendered, I'd be happier. I think it would increase service levels too. Right now, there is little incentive to provide quality service since the tip is determined beforehand.
  • crosscheck
    4 years ago
    I've always tipped well all the way back since I delivered pizza in high school and college. Once you walk in the shoes of those who depend on tips for much of their income, you'll be a good tipper for life. Nowadays, I do find myself doing things like instead of dropping a buck or two in the tip jar when picking up takeout, instead tipping as though I had a sitdown meal there since I know how hard it has been on a lot of restaurants and their employees, I feel badly for them, and if I can help a little by doing that, then I am happy to do so.
  • Studme53
    4 years ago
    Same - I tipped my barber 100% for my first haircut post pandemic
  • IceyLoco
    4 years ago
    I won't tip in places that raised prices or won't give small change back, blaming it on the virus. I'll tip more when they offer value and great service
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    ^selfish POS.
  • Studme53
    4 years ago
    Ha ha - *Keep your comments civil. If you wouldn’t say it in person, don’t type it in.
  • misterorange
    4 years ago
    @Icey So when you don't like the policies set by management, you fuck over the employees?
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    I type nothing I won't and haven't said in person.
  • misterorange
    4 years ago
    IceyLoco tipping guide: [view link]
  • Studme53
    4 years ago
    Then say that to my face tonight at 10pm outside the Time Out and see what happens ! If you don’t show up you’re chicken.
  • Studme53
    4 years ago
    Just kidding
  • crosscheck
    4 years ago
    Orange - LOL. I would have bet $100 bucks that's what the link was going to be before I even clicked on it.
  • IceyLoco
    4 years ago
    You don't believe in a living wage but think we should be subsidizing employees wages coz the business owner refuses to pay them enough 🤣🤣🤣🤣
  • nicespice
    4 years ago
    LOL @ IceyLoco. Don’t forget to also ask to speak to the manager and demand compensated gift cards as well. Could also refuse to actually show up to places that raised prices or won't give small change back, blaming it on the virus.
  • Warrior15
    4 years ago
    The virus hasn't changed my behavior at all. If the girl is cute, flirts a lot and shows lots of cleavage. Then I'm a big tipper.
  • skibum609
    4 years ago
    Icey "slogan" will use every trite phrase ever coined, because to the left, talking and bitching equates action. Don't sleep so late and you might succeed.
  • IceyLoco
    4 years ago
    Nicespice. I just don't patronize those businesses anymore. I'm not into covid19 price increases. I also stopped using uber eats and post mates coz of ridiculous fees.
  • NAAAASTY
    4 years ago
    Good to hear most of ya tipping well and supporting local businesses... and being perverts that we are, favorite business is our strippers. Tip them well my friends. NAAAASTY
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion