tuscl

Strip Club Matchbooks

sinclair
Strip Club Nation
I was browsing eBay today and saw there were over 500 listings in the collectible category for matchbooks with the names and logos of various strip clubs. Some of the clubs are still around and some of the clubs have been closed for decades. I am guessing it was fashionable in the 1960's, 1970's, and 1980's to have matchbooks made for your club that provided clubbers with a light for their cigarette, an advertisement for the club, and a free souvenir.

I have a few matchbooks from various strip clubs around the continent in a drawer at home, but probably picked up my last one sometime in 2008. I have not seen any recently. Smoking is no longer allowed inside many clubs and is not "cool" to be a smoker like it used to be fifty years ago. Nowadays, printing up matchbooks would seem tacky, yet I frequently do get asked to borrow a lighter when I'm out at bars.

4 comments

• captainfun
    4 years ago
    Agree that they are not as common but there are still some clubs that produce branded matchbooks. I don't make a habit of collecting though I do currently have matches from Goldrush in Atlanta and Vivid in NYC. My favorite igniting souvenir however is a lighter from FKK Sharks in Frankfurt, Germany. They have them in a basket on the front desk just as matches would be free to take.
  • twentyfive
    4 years ago
    I have a deck of playing cards from the Spearmint Rhino Dates back to about 1995 Does anyone here have any idea if they’re worth anything?
  • Jascoi
    4 years ago
    i’ve got a dozen sealed 2011 spearmint rhino cards and half dozen sealed 2013 spearmint rhino cards... i’ll sell for $15 each!
  • Liwet
    4 years ago
    Half the clubs in Vegas don't have logoed matchbooks. Some that do don't have logos that match the specific club. For instance, Sophia's is still using leftover OG matchbooks.
You must be a member to leave a comment.Join Now
Got something to say?
Start your own discussion